East Pattaya public housing project drowning in trash

Rimmer

East Pattaya public housing project drowning in trash

image.png

PATTAYA:--An East Pattaya housing project is generating so much garbage, no matter where it’s put, it annoys people.

Boontem Yikeng, director of the Nernplabwan Government Housing Project in Nong Maikaen said Jan. 29 that he is now awaiting approval from the Chonburi Housing Department to construct a garbage-storage shed in front of the project by a pond.

The shed is necessary because no matter where trash bins have been placed, residents complain about the smell and flies, plus the bins overflow, giving the project a bad image.

At first, five bins were placed around the perimeter of the development. But lazy people continued to dump garbage behind the main administration building.

So all five bins were moved to behind the administration building. That solved the illegal dumping, but overpowered nearby homes with its smell.

Boontem said the problem has been going on for years and, barring an amazing turnaround in residents’ refusal to separate trash and recycle, will continue until a larger storage area farther from the apartments is approved.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-08-02--

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai people are, without a doubt, some of the laziest and dirtiest people in the world when it comes to trash.  It took me years to break my wife of the habit of just tossing wrappers, paper and whatnot anywhere and everywhere she felt like it. 

Should teach her to recycle everthing and say there is cash in it. Thais like cash more than waste !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Thai people are, without a doubt, some of the laziest and dirtiest people in the world when it comes to trash.  It took me years to break my wife of the habit of just tossing wrappers, paper and whatnot anywhere and everywhere she felt like it. 

I really don't know if its defiance or ignorance or entitlement....hard to believe after all the global and local publicity and effort , the majority still don't get it,and never will..say no to a plastic bag, reuse the foam ,or better yet take your own containers...HOW HARD IS THAT....thailands garbage and air is out of control

Edited by mok199
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Should teach her to recycle everthing and say there is cash in it. Thais like cash more than waste !

Recycling is a little too advanced for many. Garbage in bins first, then sorting into recycling bins second. Keep things simple. Let's start with getting Thailand clean.

Rather than the usual responses of Thai-bashing, look to the property management as the principals in this matter. I'd ask them a number of questions to get a sense of what they have done to correct this years old problem, other than moving the collection bins. How often and when is the trash collected and hauled away? Have they talked with the waste management company to change collection days or to increase them per week? Several collection days per week are necessary when managing a multi-family development. Especially immediately after the weekend AND immediately before the weekend help cut down on the offensive sight and smells.

• Like 1

If the trash is picked up more often,then extra costs will be incurred by the developer / project Administration.

These costs will be put on to the residents ( and rightly so ). However, try getting the money from them for the service.

good luck with that one.

2 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

How hard is it to order daily garbage pickup and disposal?

Nigh impossible when it's from the city. Once a week seems the standard in this village and yes it's too seldom, bins are always overflowing. Twice a week would work but .. not expecting miracles. 

The problem stems back decades, when Thais bought food from market or stalls most food was wrapped in banana leaves, so when they finished they just throw the leaf's away and they composted in the land, but Thai people have not got to grips with the how to deal with plastic & foam and believe the plastic will eventually disappear the same way. 

Thai's just throw it over the wall and hope it goes away on it's own

But seriously I pay 350 per year and they come 2 a week 

I have one Thai neighbour who uses my bin this morning it's full, where did that come from?

5 hours ago, stud858 said:

In Australia if you own a property you pay a yearly fee to the government. They collect your rubbish every week then bury it underground nearby where it decays away.

Too easy.

Plastic bottles, tin cans and glass bottles DO NOT decay away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Thai people have not got to grips with the how to deal with plastic & foam and believe the plastic will eventually disappear the same way.

Oh, but they have. Thay's why they're burning the stuff.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Taught my wife.  Each month she'd load the car with tins/plastic/paper; drive down to a collector and come back with 56 baht having spent 60 baht'sworth of petrol in travel.

• Haha 1

Rather than the usual responses of Thai-bashing, look to the property management as the principals in this matter. I'd ask them a number of questions to get a sense of what they have done to correct this years old problem, other than moving the collection bins. How often and when is the trash collected and hauled away? Have they talked with the waste management company to change collection days or to increase them per week? Several collection days per week are necessary when managing a multi-family development. Especially immediately after the weekend AND immediately before the weekend help cut down on the offensive sight and smells.
That additional collection costs money, they absolutely will not lose profits for outlandish schemes like you are proposing

They will spend it on new buildings or novelty theories that may give them a little bung though....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Plastic bottles, tin cans and glass bottles DO NOT decay away.

Ok. There is recycling to some degree too. The stuff that's missed will decay in a million years or whatever. Everything decays. It's the first law of the universe. Nothing stays constant.

2 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Ok. There is recycling to some degree too. The stuff that's missed will decay in a million years or whatever. Everything decays. It's the first law of the universe. Nothing stays constant.

Don't talk rubbish...................oh, sorry you were.

So burying stuff for a million years is OK?