Stupid farangs

Lacessit

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, Pilotman said:

As far as Brits are concerned, in the UK, and especially around London, many cyclists are an arrogant bunch of morons, who think they have some kind of entitlement to ignore the law and  to use the road over and above motored vehicles.  If they bring that attitude to here, they won't last too long at all. Same with a few farangs crossing the road.  In their own country they may be able to saunter across at a leisurely pace , knowing that vehicles will slow down for them.  Good luck having that attitude in Thailand, as many have found out to their cost.   

Yeah, yeah... tell me again about the thousands that die every year as a result of cyclists... ?

i saw a car run a red light today... ALL CARS DISOBEY TRAFFIC LIGHTS !!

Edit: Man you’re a peach ????????

Post 26 you are nothing but a bully, what a loser of a bloke ????

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Yeah, yeah... tell me again about the thousands that die every year as a result of cyclists... ?

I cross 3 dangerous sets of lights on my way to work and same coming back would never dream of crossing on orange as traffic is still speeding through

Green = go

Orange = speed up it is turning to red

Red = Stop..if you are not going too fast having put your foot down on orange

On 2/10/2019 at 8:21 PM, canthai55 said:

Roads are designed and built for motorized vehicles.

Not for bicycles.

Ride one at your peril. But same in the West. They figure because they are 'Green' and 'Saving' the planet. they should get better treatment.

Their arrogance is exceeded only by their ignorance.

Had one hit my 67 Chevy once - turned left right in front of me. I stopped and helped him up - ranting and raving and got my license number to report me to the cops.

Long story short - he was at fault. After that spew I made him pay for the tiny, barely noticible scratch on my hood where his handlebar hit.

Moron.

Talking about morons... the bicycle was invented over 200 years ago, long before your internal combustion horseless carriage.

It was cyclists who championed governments to improve the road surfaces.

It’s about duty of care, a cyclist owes this duty of care to pedestrians because of the often sharing of space and a bikes relative high possible speed and the likely damage to a pedestrian.

Similarly you and your 1500-200kg of high speed steel and plastic owe a duty of care to cyclists, especially since you are physically removed from the reality of the actual speed and destructive forces that you possess.

Then there’s the poor truckie who again is much bigger/heavier than the pedestrian/cyclist/car he owes us all a duty of care.

every cyclist is a mother/father/sister/brother etc.

Dont be a dick, just let them get home safe mate.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Traffic lights where there is also a pedestrian crossing usually have red/green 'walking man' so yes pedestrians do have their own lights!

There are sadly several intersections in Chiang Mai which does not have the red/green light for pedestrians even though zebra stripes have been painted on the road.

To make it worse, vehicles are allowed to turn both left and right in these intersections, so there is basically no safe time to cross the road.

The OP didn’t say which intersection he was at, but if it was one of these without any pedestrian lights, the pedestrian probably started to cross the road when he saw the red light (for one of the sides) go on, possibly after having waited a full cycle and realized that there is never a good time for pedestrians to cross, the only semi-good time is when all sides are red, as then you can get far enough into the crossing for cars to hold back for you.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, 55Jay said:

I enjoy these threads.  If, for no other reason, to see if there will be any new and exciting ways to spell farang.

The best I have seen  "Farangi" used for multiple Farang's like the Star Trek characters.........

1 hour ago, lkn said:

There are sadly several intersections in Chiang Mai which does not have the red/green light for pedestrians even though zebra stripes have been painted on the road.

To make it worse, vehicles are allowed to turn both left and right in these intersections, so there is basically no safe time to cross the road.

The OP didn’t say which intersection he was at, but if it was one of these without any pedestrian lights, the pedestrian probably started to cross the road when he saw the red light (for one of the sides) go on, possibly after having waited a full cycle and realized that there is never a good time for pedestrians to cross, the only semi-good time is when all sides are red, as then you can get far enough into the crossing for cars to hold back for you.

I use the 'Magic Hand' I was taught back in the eighties...........arms out, palm down waving up and down, it seems to work, the only ones that disregard it are the foreigners !!!

On 2/10/2019 at 3:08 PM, Lacessit said:

What is it about farang bicycle riders that gives them the illusion they are immortal?

It’s not only about those who are riding bicycle, it is about the same kind of farang on motorcycles, cars and pick up trucks, but mostly bicycles and scooters. 

But of course Songthaews haunting them with livens to kill. 

Chiang Mai is an amusing city.  

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Another observation. Thais and farangs alike as pedestrians walk with the flow of the traffic. They seem to think there is some invisible force field around them that will prevent them being hit from behind by a bicycle, scooter, car, truck or bus.

What is that? My habit has always been to walk against the flow of traffic, so if anything is bearing down on me, I can see it and step out of the way.

Fair play.  That seems to apply to motorbike riding here as well.  Sah-tafe-tee first, as they say! 

Now this one is real expensive....

Under CVC 22454, California law requires you remain stopped as long as the red lights on the school bus are flashing. If you fail to stop, you may be fined up to $1,000 and your driving privilege could be suspended for 1 year.

39 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Now this one is real expensive....

Under CVC 22454, California law requires you remain stopped as long as the red lights on the school bus are flashing. If you fail to stop, you may be fined up to $1,000 and your driving privilege could be suspended for 1 year.

Interesting information , I have always wondered what Californian law CVC 22454 meant, now, if I'm ever on "Who wants be to a millionaire " and the million dollar question is :"What is Californian law 22454" , I will know the answer

All those who love to bad mouth cyclists and pedestrians, have you ever asked yourself who is responsible for most of Thailand's issues? Be it deaths, traffic, pollution. Ever tried to walk on the pavement in BKK at anytime of the any day? You'll get scooters beeping at you to get out of their way whilst walking on the pavement. Ever tried to cross at zebra crossing? Motorists are the cause for most of Thailand's issues.

6 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

All those who love to bad mouth cyclists and pedestrians, have you ever asked yourself who is responsible for most of Thailand's issues? Be it deaths, traffic, pollution. Ever tried to walk on the pavement in BKK at anytime of the any day? You'll get scooters beeping at you to get out of their way whilst walking on the pavement. Ever tried to cross at zebra crossing? Motorists are the cause for most of Thailand's issues.

There are sensible cyclists and pedestrians. Unfortunately to me, they seem to be in short supply in CM.

"Victor Meldrew's Big Day Out' has morphed into "VIctor's Long Weekend"

Still it is interesting to note that the 25,000 road fatalities per annum in Thailand are primarily caused by;

1.Inconsiderate foreign pedestrians

2.Spandex fetishists in general and UK cyclists in particular...

7 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Those Zebra crossings can be perilous indeed. 

image.png.0100bc81dcb5f5afe9dc6ee5b65bd571.png

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, canthai55 said:

Where I come from - girls wear bonnets, cars have hoods.

Men wear boots, cars have trunks.

And we drive on the correct side of the road, as sword battles are a thing of the past 555

The side of the road was determined by the way carts were pulled. Nothing to do with sword battles.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:45 PM, HighPriority said:

Edit: Man you’re a peach ????????

Post 26 you are nothing but a bully, what a loser of a bloke ????

Running a bit wild with logic there mate. 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Odysseus123 said:

"Victor Meldrew's Big Day Out' has morphed into "VIctor's Long Weekend"

Still it is interesting to note that the 25,000 road fatalities per annum in Thailand are primarily caused by;

1.Inconsiderate foreign pedestrians

2.Spandex fetishists in general and UK cyclists in particular...

Now now. Sarcasm should be used like a rapier, not as a blunt instrument.

I do have another peeve though. Farangs riding hired scooters in the right-hand lane of the 90 km/hr highways, sans helmets, shorts and flip-flops their only attire. Saw a couple of them on Highway 1 near Chiang Rai today. They must think they are immortal.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, roo860 said:

I tried 3 times to knock him off his bike with my car, unfortunately he managed to get away.

I understand your frustration.     It can be a challenge to navigate the roads  in Thailand.     But if you had injured the Moto rider, wouldn't that be akin to attempted murder?

Posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Archived