Schools to drop 3 allowances for enrolment

webfact

Schools to drop 3 allowances for enrolment

By The Nation

1661ffb4516893d79cd63bb708defe26.jpeg

MOST STATE schools will drop three special conditions for admission as part of an effort to end corruption.

The special conditions include enrolling children whose parents or guardians make frequent contributions to schools and students from allied schools. 

Assoc Professor Ekachai Keesookpun, who chairs the Basic Education Commission, said these conditions were being cancelled in response to a recommendation from the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC).

“The NACC believes these conditions give way to corruption,” he said. 

With applications at popular schools far exceeding the number of available seats, it is an open secret that some rich parents pay “tea money” – sometimes in six-digit figures – to get their children enrolled. 

However, Ekachai said his commission was not able to revoke all seven conditions as yet. 

“We can only cancel three. We need to keep the remainder because they are beneficial to the country’s education sector and encourage people to contribute,” he said. 

The rules that will remain are enrolling children whose parents donate land to schools; underprivileged children; children whose parents have made sacrifices for the nation and disaster victims; and the offspring of school personnel and teachers. 

State schools, overseen by the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec), allocate 60 per cent of their seats to children in the neighbourhood, while the remainder are given to children living outside the zone. 

Sanit Yamgesorn, deputy secretary-general of Obec, said under new regulations only children who have been living with their parents in the school’s neighbourhood for at least two years as of May 16 this year, will be eligible for enrolment. 

“The children must really be living in the neighbourhood. We will not accept applicants who are neighbours just in paper,” Sanit said, adding that every residential document will be strictly checked. 

“Any child found to have been enrolled with fake residential papers will be expelled,” he said, adding that the parents could also face criminal action for fraud. 

Applications to state schools under Obec will be accepted between March 22 and March 27, with the exception of election day on March 24. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363866

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-11

Changing the protocol in an attempt to eliminate corruption at some schools,is just another obstacle and smoke screen ...IMPROVE ALL EDUCATION, AT ALL LEVELS, FOR ALL STUDENTS ...sorted !

Edited by mok199
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:
1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Drop the need to turn up for your exams the kids will be over the moon

I think you'll find that for the majority the results would be the same if they turn up or not. FAIL.????

It won't be a fail though - here in Thailand.

From many reports on this in the past, it has been stated by those having to carry out the absurd policy, that kids are not allowed to fail exams. Hence these qualifications are not worth the paper they're written on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

From many reports on this in the past, it has been stated by those having to carry out the absurd policy, that kids are not allowed to fail exams. Hence these qualifications are not worth the paper they're written on.

Yes, I know. Some of my classes 75% fail. Have to give them minimum score. Having said this a few of my classes are 90% +. ????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The special conditions include enrolling children whose parents or guardians make frequent contributions to schools and students from allied schools.

Then the "special contribution" will be given to the school head officer.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Same as the rubbish that kids can 'pass' exams by only turning up, but not actually learning or understanding anything.

And this is different from at least some 'Western' countries (eg Australia)?

When I was teaching French at Monash University in the mid-1970s, the instruction from on high was: As long as they turn up for classes & hand in their assignments, we pass them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There are very few parts of the world that students actually fail anymore. This is not a uniquely Thai education system trait. Even Canada has a "No-zero"policy. ????

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's a great idea that I'm all in favour of, but it's not in the interest of the elite running the country.

They know only too well that if education levels improved and the kids started to think for themselves, it would eventually lead to mass civil unrest as soon as the young adults see how badly they have been treated and kept down in the past.

Same as the rubbish that kids can 'pass' exams by only turning up, but not actually learning or understanding anything.

I'm convinced that's why nothing will happen.

I really don't personally know of any school that allows children to pass exams for just turning up.

Do you actually have evidence of that?

I have seen schoolchildren and university students fail. At my daughters last mid terms several of her class mates failed one or more exams. They were made sit another exam, arranged in the holidays, as a chance to pass. Universities here look at the GPA record of children applying for many of the higher courses. 

Parents spend a large amount of money here on additional tutoring - targeted to specific school/university entering requirements and with a view to what their longer term aspirations are. One, not the only one, of the drivers of that is the crap overall standard of teachers (including many farang ones who are piss poor), courses and assessment processes. In many educational establishments the management and teaching staff appear at logger heads rather than in harmony.

The whole system, like so many aspects, requires an overhaul to bring it into the standards required today. But as you observe, it's not in the interests of those pulling the strings to do so. Therefore unlikely to happen.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Quite frankly it's rubbish and nonsense to say no one fails.

I know schools and universities in which students have failed. They are given opportunities to address those failures, not always but mostly, which is similar to many educational systems in other countries.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

We need to keep the remainder because they are beneficial to the country’s education sector and encourage people to contribute,” he said. 

Children whose parents donate land to schools; children whose parents have made sacrifices for the nation; and the offspring of school personnel and teachers.

So instead of cash they will have to give land titles, all military and police who are sacrificing to the nation on a daily base will benefit, teacher's kids are privileged, while those of farmers and industrial workers are not.

I wonder how much Assoc Professor Ekachai Keesookpun, who chairs the Basic Education Commission unable to do what is necessary, has to pay to keep his job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Yes, I know. Some of my classes 75% fail. Have to give them minimum score. Having said this a few of my classes are 90% +. ????

Everyone knows a 50% score is most likely a fail, so there's no point to worry about that - if universities or other schools still want to accept them, then that's their choice. At least my school doesn't ask me to give them 70% or more, like some schools. The main issue I have is that schools are really not interested in helping failing students improve. Only the wealthy can get a decent education here.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

a lot of thailand in a nutshell

it is an open secret that some rich parents pay “tea money” – sometimes in six-digit figures – to get their children enrolled. 

The rules that will remain are enrolling children whose parents donate land to schools;

Kind of sums up Thailand in a nutshell indeed.

• Like 1