Info On Petchaboon Please

violatedm3

Hello,

I have been to LOS 1 time last year and went around bkk, and pattaya. Let me just say it was an eye opener to say the least. Friends had laughs at my expense :o

I am interested in moving to Thailand for a long term, in sept 07'. I will be arrinving in May 3rd for 6 weeks to determine where I want to live. Bkk is out. Pattaya is to much in my face all the time. I thinking about Udon Thani but its a big city and I want to find something smaller.

My budget is $900 - $1500 us dollars a month, I prefer to be close to the $900 number as it would allow me more money to do other things.

A little more info about me I am from the states, I currently live in Seattle, WA, USA. I am 37 years old.

What could I expect from living in Petchaboon? I would like to find a 1 bdrm/studio apt furnished, aircon, internet, fridge, microwave, kitchen a plus, pool a plus. in a safe area that would be in a good location that is in a area with other english speaking westerners if possible.

So what is there to do I am not married, no children. Are there things to do like movies in english? or golf anything ?

Will the P4P be in my face like it was in pattaya/bkk or will it be there but in small area of the town. I have to admit I have friends that like the mongering scene alot, if they were to visit would there be an area for them to goto? Is there night life ?

Any info would be helpful. I like thailand alot I just dont want to live in bkk or pattaya, too expensive, and I am sure after a while the constant in your face p4p would get old.

So if you have anything to add please post, thanks.

Hello,

I have been to LOS 1 time last year and went around bkk, and pattaya. Let me just say it was an eye opener to say the least. Friends had laughs at my expense :o

I am interested in moving to Thailand for a long term, in sept 07'. I will be arrinving in May 3rd for 6 weeks to determine where I want to live. Bkk is out. Pattaya is to much in my face all the time. I thinking about Udon Thani but its a big city and I want to find something smaller.

My budget is $900 - $1500 us dollars a month, I prefer to be close to the $900 number as it would allow me more money to do other things.

A little more info about me I am from the states, I currently live in Seattle, WA, USA. I am 37 years old.

What could I expect from living in Petchaboon? I would like to find a 1 bdrm/studio apt furnished, aircon, internet, fridge, microwave, kitchen a plus, pool a plus. in a safe area that would be in a good location that is in a area with other english speaking westerners if possible.

So what is there to do I am not married, no children. Are there things to do like movies in english? or golf anything ?

Will the P4P be in my face like it was in pattaya/bkk or will it be there but in small area of the town. I have to admit I have friends that like the mongering scene alot, if they were to visit would there be an area for them to goto? Is there night life ?

Any info would be helpful. I like thailand alot I just dont want to live in bkk or pattaya, too expensive, and I am sure after a while the constant in your face p4p would get old.

Phechabun is a small city and not many farangs about. You could try a week there,a week in Udon and then try Chiangmai. Not Pattaya type cities but do have many expats living there.

Sounds like you need to travel around a lot more. I would tour many areas before settling in.

Deciding where you want to make roots is a decision that requires up close and personal experience, in my opinion.

Some questions you might pose to yourself when considering moving there......

Do you want to be near the sea?

The mountains?

Proximity to health care?

Food shopping for your particular needs?

Safety?

Climate?

Access to public transportation?

Banking?

Proximity to airport?

Cost of living?

Activities available for entertainment?

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck to you, I hope you find your piece of paradise!!

You can "live like a king" for that kind of money in many places in Thailand. Petchabun is no different. My girl's brother goes to university there. Our house is about 70km west of there. I've been there many times.

Phetchabun a very typical up-country town, about 25,000 people with most of the basics available from the Mom & Pop stores and the few big name chain stores. To me, it seems very much like nearby towns of Phichit and Taphan Hin, and like a smaller version of Phitsanulok. Although I haven't used it, there is supposed to be an airstrip nearby and I think one of the small regional carriers flies there. The next closest airports would probably be Phitsanulok and Kon Kaen, both quite a haul.

Land prices are relatively inexpensive, as are home construction prices, compared to more popular places in the south. Assuming you have someone to buy it, you can get a nice piece of land and build a fairly posh home on it for something in the range of 35K-70K depending on how big and how fancy you want.

Weather tends to vary quite a bit through the year. The summers are typically very hot and dry. The winters tend to be dry also, but only moderately warm during the day. I find the evenings and mornings to be pleasantly cool, but many locals find them on the cold side and they will bundle up in jackets.

There is nothing earth-shaking about Petchabun itself, but there are some interesting things to do within a 60-90 minute drive radius. Once out of the city proper, your get into the country quickly. In and around there are mostly small agriculture based villages. The next larger cities are all about 2-3 hours away by car, those being Kohn Kaen, Nakon Sawan and Pitsanulok. The mountains can be quite beautiful when you know the right spots to go.

Walking around town you will see a few falangs around, but there aren't many, at least not like in the gigger towns and tourist areas. There's a golf course at the Army base on the south end of town.

I would suggest coming up and having a look around. The Kosit Hill hotel is a small but quite nice hotel on the south end of the main drag leading into town. It is expensive by Thai guest house standards but inexpensive by western hotel standards.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Sounds like you need to travel around a lot more. I would tour many areas before settling in.

Deciding where you want to make roots is a decision that requires up close and personal experience, in my opinion.

Some questions you might pose to yourself when considering moving there......

Kanchanaburi

Do you want to be near the sea? 3 hours by car.

The mountains? Yes many

Proximity to health care? Have in town only

Food shopping for your particular needs? Yes have in Kan

Safety? not too bad,

Climate? Figgin' Hot

Access to public transportation? Yes have too much

Banking? Yes

Proximity to airport? 3 to 4 hours to the New Airport

Cost of living? easy, not like other places in Thailand.

Activities available for entertainment? some

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck to you, I hope you find your piece of paradise!!

Kan would be a place for you next door to BKK.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

video from phetchaboon farang corner

I see they have motorbikes and motor cars in Petchabun... :o .

yes, very informative video that one!

this last post was 2007, what's Phetchaboon like now in 2010? i know they have a big Tesco and big-C and i think a Tops on the highway but what about food and entertainment? are there any farang hangouts these days? somewhere to maybe get a pizza or at least talk to someone?

i like the countryside around Phetchaboon and i'm happy to live in an all Thai village, but sometimes i need a little social interaction and a bit of wester food without having to cook it.

For some good gen on Petchabun and much else, there is a good size ex-pat golf scene at the Thai Army Barracks - (Battle Horse Barracks), south of Petch city on Route 21.

Use the entrance by the Big C supermarket, there are a new set of traffic lights there, so easy to spot.

We all meet on Tuesday and Fridays at 0930.

You do not have to be a golfer, just turn up at the Thai Army club house, no problems.

The chaps are all nationalities and very friendly, some have lived up in Petchabun for 20 to 30 years and one or two have owned bars and resorts up here too.

For some good gen on Petchabun and much else, there is a good size ex-pat golf scene at the Thai Army Barracks - (Battle Horse Barracks), south of Petch city on Route 21.

Use the entrance by the Big C supermarket, there are a new set of traffic lights there, so easy to spot.

We all meet on Tuesday and Fridays at 0930.

You do not have to be a golfer, just turn up at the Thai Army club house, no problems.

The chaps are all nationalities and very friendly, some have lived up in Petchabun for 20 to 30 years and one or two have owned bars and resorts up here too.

thanks for the info. we just got back from there a few days ago so no more trips until October now, but will definitely drop in.

about how many expats usually show up to these things?

As far as I have seen, the movies at the Tesco theatre are dubbed in Thai. Be aware that save for high altitudes in the mountains, the weather in Phetchabun is hotter than Bangkok. Most days you will be looking at 90 or 100 degrees depending on time of year and many days hover around 105. Being single and new perhaps a good location would be near the university to be among Thai's with more english language.

Concur about the weather!, we have had one of the hottest seasons for some time, most visitors always comment on how hot it is up here compared to Patters/Samui etc.

The locals have told me that they expect quite a heavy rainy season too. Need as the Pa Sak river is the lowest I have seen it.

Golf numbers vary, approx 10 - 25 members I would say, there are a few off shore guys who have houses. Plus a few who can only come on holiday twice a year etc, too young to retire.

Definately more over Christmas/New Year.

• 1 month later...