Big Joke: Romance Scammers will now be scared of the law!

webfact

5pm.jpg

Immigration Chief Lt-Gen Surachate Hakparn has told the Thai media how a change in police tactics means that Nigerian romance scammers and their Thai accomplices will no longer get off the hook. 

Previously Lt-Gen Surachate - known as Big Joke - said that romance scammers were just charged with fraud.

In such cases victims could withdraw complaints if they were compensated by the scammers. 

This led to some walking free and being able to repeat the crime on others. They were previously just not scared of the Thai law.

Now this is not the case. 

Commenting on the recent case of a gang of Nigerians and Thais operating out of Malaysia Surachate said that those responsible would be charged with fraud committed against the Thai public - a charge that cannot be withdrawn by the payment of money. 

In addition investigative work by the police's tech arm has meant that those involved in the latest case can be charged with conspiracy and money laundering that will ensure they pay for their crimes with long jail time and are not free to re-offend. 

The latest arrest was of Nigerian Nadoo Buchi Kenneth Oti, 40, and a Thai woman called Kanokkarn Charnkla, 27, and six other Thais that INN did not name in their report. 

They are believed to be part of a large gang now being moved back to Thailand from Malaysia.

Previous reports suggested the gang was targeting Thai women in Chiang Mai. 

Surachate once again warned the Thai people not to fall for the scammers. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-14

24 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I would also add cancelling whatever visa they are here on, and then blacklisting for 10 years. 

"The latest arrest was of Nigerian Nadoo Buchi Kenneth Oti, 40, and a Thai woman called Kanokkarn Charnkla, 27, and six other Thais that INN did not name in their report. "

So 7 Thais and one foreigner.  Thais don't need a visa by the way. 

Yesterday I met this lovely girl who promised me she will love me long time if I will build her a house.

Obviously I think she is different and not like all the bad girls other people write about in this forum. I am sure she will love me long time.

But just in case she doesn't do that can I get my money back which I spend on her house?

And how much can she deduct for every time she loved me short time?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

People also seemed very scared of the lese-majeste and defamation laws - wonder why that is? Oh, yea. It's because these are some of the very few laws that are actually enforced. 

46 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I wait for the day when him, or someone in the law establishment comes out and says they are going to target the number 1 issue in Thailand, the roads. 

I wonder how many Thais would agree with you that this is the #1 issue.

Personally I think most Thais somehow "think" traffic accidents are random and obviously it helps to have lots of fresh flowers and amulets...

Archived