Plan to ban alcohol on Thai New Year

Jonathan Fairfield

21 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Casualties are high on every ****in day of the year! 

Exactly! 
Instead of focusing on certain days which aren't much different than other days in terms of accidents and punishing everyone by banning alcohol sales (which doesn't work because the mom & pop shops ignore the rule and any drunk with half a brain will stock up the day before) they should do something about drunk driving like, oh, I don't know, punish drunk drivers!
*end rant*

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, emptypockets said:

This thread should run for 30 pages once the alkies see it.

Threads about booze and smokes are always huge.

A healthy bunch we have here in what used to be the land of smiles.

6 hours ago, tonysilly said:

You think Thai people care about the law? Give me a break!! Thai people don't care about drinking and driving because they are not afraid of dying.  Why you think they drive so carelessly???  

I think Thais, like everyone else, are afraid of dying. However, some rationalize reckless, dangerous behavior with a kind of perverse, fatalistic interpretation of Buddhism which says something like: "If it is my day to die, I am going to die, and there is nothing I can do about it. But if is not my day to die, I can do whatever I want!"  Of course, that does not account account for the people that you might kill while having reckless, sanook mak-mak . . . but then, then being responsible and accountable and adult would spoil the sanook, wouldn't it?  Sigh!

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Yes, people do need to let off steam, if they don't they become nasty.

Sorry, this is a myth, and old wives tale.  Certainly people LIKE to let off steam, and in their opinion, they "need" to. Sure, I guess some people do get nasty when they can't do what they want to do.  But that doesn't mean that it is "therapeutic" in the way people think it is. There are much better ways of dealing with stress, anxiety, frustration, boredom or whatever than "acting out," behaving in reckless and dangerous ways, and misusing or over-using intoxicants.  

1 hour ago, rexall said:

Sorry, this is a myth, and old wives tale.  Certainly people LIKE to let off steam, and in their opinion, they "need" to. Sure, I guess some people do get nasty when they can't do what they want to do.  But that doesn't mean that it is "therapeutic" in the way people think it is. There are much better ways of dealing with stress, anxiety, frustration, boredom or whatever than "acting out," behaving in reckless and dangerous ways, and misusing or over-using intoxicants.  

Agree with you, pls go tell them :whistling:

The only right thing is very strict control of drink driving, with heavy penalties. No need to ban alcohol sales. Who not drives, can drink. Who drives, is prohibited to drive. Thais are far behind in comparison with Europe or AU.  The police is corrupt and unable or even unwilling to do their job when it comes to drink driving.

The problem is drinking alcohol not selling it. If selling is banned on one day, people just buy more on the days before. People are not stupid.

The actual alcoholic beverages selling hours from 11:00 – 14:00 & 17:00 – 00:00 is absolute senseless, why should a whole day selling ban solve the problem. 

If Thailand wants solving the drink driving problem they need more law enforcement.

Over all, Thailand needs massively higher fines and a strong law enforcement to make roads safer.

10 hours ago, jmccarty said:

This is good news, keep the pesky tourists from visiting then.  Get the word out!

Tourist who can not go a day without getting pissed are no lose to Thailand, it will be a lot nicer place without them.

plenty of tourists who drink in moderation, and can go a few days without.

alcohol is not the source of the problem. Its the people not been able use alcohol in an unappropriated way. Same with motor-vehicles in general. Best would be to ban Thai- people driving -  in general.

I think that no Thai driver would be able to pass the test, if tested by the same standard they use in my home country.

NO ONE ! 

first step  in the right  direction would be to train people for teaching driving instructors outside Thailand (or to hire these foreign experts for doing it in Thailand. ).  If Thailand would have tried to built cars or electronic without foreign experts, there would be no production of electronic or cars ! .Same with mobile-phone networks and  ......

It is not a miracle what is needed to make the situation better (less accidents etc.) They  are just not doing it.

1 hour ago, Kohkah said:

The problem is drinking alcohol not selling it. If selling is banned on one day, people just buy more on the days before. People are not stupid.

The actual alcoholic beverages selling hours from 11:00 – 14:00 & 17:00 – 00:00 is absolute senseless, why should a whole day selling ban solve the problem. 

If Thailand wants solving the drink driving problem they need more law enforcement.

Over all, Thailand needs massively higher fines and a strong law enforcement to make roads safer.

Unfortunately, after being a member for ten years with 10000 posts you will probably still be repeating yourself as happens on this site every time alcohol/carnage is mentioned !

Every year a version of this alcohol sales ban comes up and every year nothing happens.

Even if they did pass it no way in hell are local cops going to enforce it, they like all their limbs attached and tea money flowing (and their family's like all the extra income when they set pop up businesses selling water, ice, water guns and other songkran related stuff in best locations)

And if they ever managed to get such a law passed and enforced in tourist zones it would be last time Thailand would be busy (peak) in April.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, Blue bruce said:

Where do these people get these ideas from.????

It's mind boggeling the way they think. Unbelievable!!!!!

Actually NOT!
There is already 5 days a yr were alcohol sale is banned here in TH, and SURPRISE, the statistics show CLEARLY that dead toll are decreased a lot, these 5 days!
It almost sounds like the "end of world" is near, why not stock up at home, if you are so thirsty?
I buy approx 8 box of Heineken every songkran, and stay in my house daytime during this madness show!

46 minutes ago, JingjoDave said:

I have no idea how many Police in Thailand ,,,,,

Breach of this law would be some 95% of the Isaan population %95 x 20 Million? ),, but then again they are really Laos people but border got put in wrong place.

Really???
My house is near the border of Cambodia, a LOOONG way from Laos, and yes, this is Isaan!
No "Laos people" at all here...

22 hours ago, salavan said:

It's a good idea they should also impose a 8pm curfew for the whole holiday period also

If you wish to stay in your house after 8pm you are free to do so.    Why would you want to impose this on others???

What is wrong with people like you? 

1 minute ago, Cheops said:

For tourists of course you are correct, but the poster I quoted isn't a tourist (I assume).

This action would affect tourists and tourism far more than expats. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I probably won't even notice. For a tourist, making the journey here to experience the 8 days of Songkran, the bars being closed for 24 hours during that period would make a noticeable difference. Think of the demographic that comes here for Songkran, not the kind of people that would wish to sit in a bar drinking coke whilst having ice cold water thrown over them.

Archived