Who is actually leaving?

jvs

1 minute ago, dreaming said:

That is why it is not worth learning thai. As soon as you leave thailand all those hundreds of hours of frustration learning the language are useless. I have found the point and grunt method works in most thai villages

No one listens to me whatever language i use.!! I do Enjoy Scandinavians and English trying to speak, reminds me of Spain Package Holidays, " Has Thee Any Bisto Por Favor Chum" or My lot sounding like the Chef on the Muppet Show.. Teachers are the worst, Paddy the Ex Dublin Bar Man now Tefal in 7/11 buying his daily 6 pack thanking the Cashier Profusely in a Thai Language created at his Lunchtime Session.:drunk:

• Haha 1

Lets hope that those of us that have made a life here, have commitments and contribute  to the economy albeit maybe not like tourists but a steady flow year on year are not forgotten. The fact is Thailand has over 30 million tourists a year,  if the new regs make less in numbers leave than one days worth of cashed up tourists,  why would the Government care.  Really retirees are a miniscule number in the fish pond. Evolution, changing attitudes  are upon us. Where will it end,  more money in deposit,  medical for over 60s, no one knows what's ahead... Enjoy while we can but have other plans in place.... It's been good but all good things come to an end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

That's because it's largely irrelevant.

Filipinos nearly all speak English and I didn't find anyone in Vietnam or Cambodia that couldn't speak to me in English.

Oh, did find a girl in Cambodia that didn't speak any English, didn't seem to matter, I just typed '$30' in my phone and showed it to her, that worked perfectly well.

oh,  used to be $20

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, baansgr said:

I know three long termers, two have already booked their flights for April...leaving behind dogs, girlfriends and a lot of memories....the turning point will be next year at renewal, if in fact the 800/400 rule is enforced, it wont be an option for many, many guys but to leave or overstay.

Nobody discusses 5 or 10 years from now, when the immigration requirements will have likely risen. Will people be able to put away the funds when it increases. Only need to look at the magnitude of change since 1998 to estimate what that cost might be. The 800 k baht is neither capped or static, it will increase over time.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Very few will actually leave. 

Some apparently think that if they threaten to leave it will somehow convince Thailand to change the rules in their favour.
Some apparently think if they drag out the "what about all the families that will suffer if we are forced to leave" argument, that will convince Thailand to change the rules.

Some apparently think that they contribute so much to the Thai economy that it will collapse if they leave (despite the fact they are threatening to leave because they can't meet the financial requirements so their "contributions" to the economy are probably minimal as well).

Some just like to bash Thailand and will take any opportunity to do so.

I suspect that maybe a dozen or 2 might actually leave. Most - that can't afford to be here - will try to fade into the background and hope they never get caught (i.e. overstayers).

The rest will grumble and gripe and do what they need to do to meet the new requirements and carry on.

The vast majority of us (I'm assuming it's the vast majority) already meet the requirements so it won't be a hassle anyways. We'll just continue on like we've been doing for years. Some will dream about what the country would be like if all the people who keep threatening to leave, actually did leave (and couldn't come back).

I think your assumptions are completely wrong. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes. I am considering relocating , jut trying to decide where to go next .

Been in Thailand nearly 10 years and just feel that now is the time to go elsewhere .

Not just the visa situation , as I'm used to that , having spent all my time here on tourist visas and visa exempts .

Embassys and immigration used to be quite welcoming when applying to visas and entering Thailand , these days its "What are you doing coming back here again" , I could deal with that though , but theres other things going on personally and I just feel that now is the right time to go somewhere else .

Had a great time here , no hard feelings , just time to move on

keep us all in touch with where you go and what it like there, would be interesting to know. thx

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

Thailand is still one of the cheapest places providing you are not a boozer or kerb crawler...daily living costs are extreem;y cheap. I love the PI and will consider moving there, however as Im not a real drinker/smoker/sexpat its not a lot if any cheaper than here for daily needs but the visa situation is a breeze.

Philippines, gun rule does not appeal, extra judicial killings (no thanks) and if u upset the fanatic running the place visa removal and deportation.

17 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Philippines, gun rule does not appeal, extra judicial killings (no thanks) and if u upset the fanatic running the place visa removal and deportation.

According to the Spaniard thread, in Thailand if you annoy the girl you took home for the night, 500kbht (5 year) VISA removal and jail before deportation.

Edited by BritManToo

have the money but don't like being squeezed. too scared to put a large amount in a foreign bank in a political unstable country, and my business manager agrees. besides i can always get a non-o.  not tied down here, played it smart. and btw i did leave after Trump won.  unlike these Hollywood phonies.

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't say that I'm actually leaving any time soon. I wish that I could. The writing on the wall has evolved to knocks on the door at 3 in the morning (literalists please ignore).  However, based on my personal situation (stuck with a hard to sell condo that will now become even harder to sell) it's going to be very economically difficult to leave even as the new rules are a financial burden as well. But I'm still working on a plan to leave eventually … 

Signed, 

Boiling Frog feeling sweaty

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Any of the SEA countries look like other places to go.

Especially Cambodia. I hadn't realized until recently that they have a SUPER EASY retirement visa, fly in, get an ordinary visa, then go to a travel agent and pay about 300 dollars for the year. No other financial requirements. Not saying everything about Cambodia would be superior to Thailand, but that is, by about 1000 percent. Of course, like Thailand, they are not offering any permanent residence based on retirement status. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Especially Cambodia. I hadn't realized until recently that they have a SUPER EASY retirement visa, fly in, get an ordinary visa, then go to a travel agent and pay about 300 dollars for the year. No other financial requirements. Not saying everything about Cambodia would be superior to Thailand, but that is, by about 1000 percent. Of course, like Thailand, they are not offering any permanent residence based on retirement status. 

Yep, once you're in, no need to ever see an immigration officer or queue in a government office.

Huge choice of places to eat both local and foreign in PP and SR.

Nobody seemed to care about your sexuality either.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it's acceptable if you like weed and booze, but it's nowhere a western style country as Thailand.

• Like 1