Global Warming

wgdanson

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

+1.  All religions should be taxed.  The vatican should be retroactively taxed.  Also all their cable TV "shows" should have advertisement/ fiction / scam warnings scrolling along the bottom.  

You mean like the warnings on cigarette packets? I'll drink to that.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There was an article in "The Economist" years ago which demonstrated the birth rate of women was inversely correlated to their level of education. Unfortunately, organisations such as the Roman Catholic Church encourage breeding. Time to remove the tax-exempt status?

The Greenland Ice Cap is melting. The Larsen Ice Shelf in Antarctica is breaking up. Climate models are predicting by 2050, flows to the Mekong and Ganges from the Tibetan glaciers will be reduced by 60%.

Millions of people in those river systems will be affected.

IMHO climate-denying politicians will be swept into the dustbin of history, but not before they have done considerable damage. A pity we can't put them up against a wall now.

You may be correct and the ice caps will melt, the rivers will dry up and millions ( ?billions ) of people will die. Have you considered that this may be Gaia's way of getting rid of the species doing enormous amounts of damage to the planet?

It's a fact that any species that reproduces itself to the extent that it exceeds the ability of the environment to support it is doomed to mass die off or even extinction. Perhaps humans have passed that point and the planet has had enough of polluting, warring, exploiting humans.

IMO, the politicians will do nothing that would actually stop or reverse the trend, and most people won't unless government's force them to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you considered that this may be Gaia's way of getting rid of the species doing enormous amounts of damage to the planet?

There is no god ...... so no.

And if there was a god .... it wouldn't be very just to punish the white folk, Japanese, or Thais for what other nations/races are doing.

Edited by BritManToo

I have it on good authority (AOC) that the world as we know it will end in 12 years.

I know climate change is settled science, but what I don't know is why the price of beachfront property is at all-time highs, should it not be coming down? It's going to be flooded, yes? 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Pilotman said:

They would do better by writing directly to the governments of the biggest culprits of all, China, India and the US. Not that it will do any good at all. Self interest will kill off humankind in the end. 

We have always had Climate Change. Except we used to call it Seasons.

• Like 2

Just now, brokenbone said:

...and when its the coldest february in los angeles

in 60 years its climate change too i presume ?

or can you rationalize on that a bit ?

No, that's just weather.

In any event, our friend "bomber" has signaled his story has reached an end, and that further discussion is futile...

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, BritManToo said:

There is no god ...... so no.

And if there was a god .... it wouldn't be very just to punish the white folk, Japanese, or Thais for what other nations/races are doing.

Gaia is not "god". Gaia IMO is the organism that is known as planet Earth. Any organism will try to remove a parasite, and mankind is behaving like a parasite on the Earth.

Anyway, even if Gaia is not actively removing humans, parasites kill the host.

8 hours ago, connda said:

I'm not worried.  We are way overdue for the next Carrington class Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun that will take out all the unprotected electric grids and then Bob's Your Uncle.  The survivors will be primarily in areas that are still agrarian and living without electricity and running water (think crappy places in India and Africa and remote islands and jungles).  They are the ones who know how to survive without electricity and running water right now.  And if that doesn't happen before 2050, I'm sure one of the nuclear 'players' will decide to show they world and their neighbors who has the biggest nukes.  India just bombed Pakistan; they are both in the nuclear club; they both want to call Khasmir theirs (and so does China).  So I'm betting that humankind is due for The Grand Cull pretty soon.  After that, global warning will be off everyone's radar.  :clap2:

I laugh like a drain every time I see the "wired in generation" running to get the latest "app" or whatever they are called to use on their "smart phone" ( don't know why something that makes their user dumb is called smart ). EVERYTHING breaks, sometime, and when the computers become nothing more than expensive ornaments ( many possible reasons- cyber war, hacking, EMP etc etc ) they are all doomed. Most of them have zero survival skills, and as everything is run by computers now they won't have electricity, sewage, medicines, food, transport or anything else they rely on to survive. Societies that have given themselves over to computers have only themselves to blame when it all goes wrong and millions are dying.

May not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen, IMO, and if it does happen while I'm still living, I have all the skills necessary to survive in the wild-skills that the next generation scorn.

Have a nice day.

PS, my car does not have a computer in it, thank the deity, so I can escape the city, while all the computerised cars will be just expensive pieces of metal and plastic going nowhere.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, connda said:

I'm not worried.  We are way overdue for the next Carrington class Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun that will take out all the unprotected electric grids and then Bob's Your Uncle.  The survivors will be primarily in areas that are still agrarian and living without electricity and running water (think crappy places in India and Africa and remote islands and jungles).  They are the ones who know how to survive without electricity and running water right now.  And if that doesn't happen before 2050, I'm sure one of the nuclear 'players' will decide to show they world and their neighbors who has the biggest nukes.  India just bombed Pakistan; they are both in the nuclear club; they both want to call Khasmir theirs (and so does China).  So I'm betting that humankind is due for The Grand Cull pretty soon.  After that, global warning will be off everyone's radar.  :clap2:

Thanks for the uplifting post. I feel so much better now. ????

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS, my car does not have a computer in it, thank the deity, so I can escape the city, while all the computerised cars will be just expensive pieces of metal and plastic going nowhere.

Are you quite sure of that? Which particular vehicle?