Is doing visa runs all the time ok?

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

There is no legal reason for denial based on "here too much before."  If you enter at law-abiding entry-points, there is no risk, according to recent reports for years.  The only problem would be flying in to several airports, or using the one bad land-border - Poipet/Aranya. 

How do their actions (completely legal) affect those on Non-O (family) extensions or visas?

I am choosing Vientiane or flying back to Taiwan for my visa run, is this ok then?

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think the best way to do this is select two or three countries in SE Asia that you are happy to live in and go back and forth using the tourist visa and extension system. So stay in Thailand for 3 months, move on to Vietnam, then Bali or Malaysia or Cambodia or Philippines, then back to Thailand. Rinse and repeat. But staying at least 3 months in the other countries. You'll look more credible as a tourist.

Or make use of the ED Visa ... the only problem being is that it ties you up in classes during the week.

But I don't think what you are proposing will work for much more than a year.

I want to get an Ed visa but there are barely any schools that offer them in Udon!!!!!

8 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I think the best way to do this is select two or three countries in SE Asia that you are happy to live in and go back and forth using the tourist visa and extension system. So stay in Thailand for 3 months, move on to Vietnam, then Bali or Malaysia or Cambodia or Philippines, then back to Thailand. Rinse and repeat. But staying at least 3 months in the other countries. You'll look more credible as a tourist.

Or make use of the ED Visa ... the only problem being is that it ties you up in classes during the week.

But I don't think what you are proposing will work for much more than a year.

Correct. I was going to say the same thing. If you are just working on the internet then mix it up between countries. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

Put the customary 200 baht in your passport if you are using the Malaysian border (incoming to Thai) and have the 20k baht in your pocket

Don't know if this applies to other crossings (baksheesh)

Caveat...this was my experience but in Thailand things can change overnight.

The "money in passport" scheme from Malaysian borders was shut down twice, as this was not authorized corruption / they were not sharing the loot with the bosses.  I would not try that now.

But, yes, always have the 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks to show, if asked - especially coming in from Malaysia.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

I am choosing Vientiane or flying back to Taiwan for my visa run, is this ok then?

Entering across Friendship Bridge from Vientiane to Nong Khai with a valid Tourist Visa should not be a problem regardless of past time here, per current reports. 

But if you got a TR Visa in Taiwan and flew back, that varies in safety depending on past time in Thailand.  When you do not have much past time in Thailand, you can fly in safely.  After that, best to fly to Vientiane or Penang, and enter by land.

OK, this is off-the-topic. But I have a simple issue and I would like to ask for a simple answer if anyone knows it.

I am in C.M. on a 30-day visa-exemption; got it renewed once, without any trouble for another month.It says:

"Extension of stay."

Now the question is: can I get this renewed once more??

My plan was to fly to Saigon - booked a flight to there for 28 Feb, and another flight to Quy Nhon that evening.

But VietJet airways have apparently gone nuts. They sent me an email stating that my itinerary might have been changed - so I should check with the attached pdf file (which does not show anything but numbers and letters) to see if it has been changed, or call their phone number (which is no longer receiving calls), or send an e (I did, and they responded with a message saying they would respond in 3 - 5 days.)

SO, I could fly to Vientiane and apply for a TV to Thailand there - but I want to go to Vietnam, where I have a 3-month visa already approved online, before deciding if I want to apply for a Thai visa there. 

If I want to just wait another month - (Mercury is going retrograde in March - so all kinds of communications will be disrupted even more than usual; I don't want to make new travel plans in March)) - will the I/O ask - as the members of this forum ask - <deleted> I want another extension and why did I not get a regular visa. / Not that it matters but I thought it was not worth the trouble to drive one day to Los Angeles to apply for a visa and pay for a night in a motel that cost as much as a week in C.M., so  I just came here not knowing the visa thing would get worse and worse.

The point is: do I have the option of getting another extension of stay?

Appreciate any answers.

1 hour ago, MuuKondiao said:

OK, this is off-the-topic. But I have a simple issue and I would like to ask for a simple answer if anyone knows it.

I am in C.M. on a 30-day visa-exemption; got it renewed once, without any trouble for another month.It says:

"Extension of stay."

Now the question is: can I get this renewed once more??

My plan was to fly to Saigon - booked a flight to there for 28 Feb, and another flight to Quy Nhon that evening.

But VietJet airways have apparently gone nuts. They sent me an email stating that my itinerary might have been changed - so I should check with the attached pdf file (which does not show anything but numbers and letters) to see if it has been changed, or call their phone number (which is no longer receiving calls), or send an e (I did, and they responded with a message saying they would respond in 3 - 5 days.)

SO, I could fly to Vientiane and apply for a TV to Thailand there - but I want to go to Vietnam, where I have a 3-month visa already approved online, before deciding if I want to apply for a Thai visa there. 

If I want to just wait another month - (Mercury is going retrograde in March - so all kinds of communications will be disrupted even more than usual; I don't want to make new travel plans in March)) - will the I/O ask - as the members of this forum ask - <deleted> I want another extension and why did I not get a regular visa. / Not that it matters but I thought it was not worth the trouble to drive one day to Los Angeles to apply for a visa and pay for a night in a motel that cost as much as a week in C.M., so  I just came here not knowing the visa thing would get worse and worse.

The point is: do I have the option of getting another extension of stay?

Appreciate any answers.

You cannot get a further extension of stay, but ...

If you pay the 1,900 baht for an extension, it will be refused, but you are given seven days to leave the country. While not officially an extension, this legally gives you another week in Thailand when you need it in an emergency.

I would talk to a good travel agent to see if they know what is up with Vietnam Airways. I think you should plan on getting to, at least, Saigon on Thursday with the security of knowing you can get the extra week in Thailand if the worst comes to the worst.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Entering across Friendship Bridge from Vientiane to Nong Khai with a valid Tourist Visa should not be a problem regardless of past time here, per current reports. 

But if you got a TR Visa in Taiwan and flew back, that varies in safety depending on past time in Thailand.  When you do not have much past time in Thailand, you can fly in safely.  After that, best to fly to Vientiane or Penang, and enter by land.

So which way is better? Vientiane all the time or fly to tw? I only plan to stay in V for half a day or so. Tw, the same 

10 minutes ago, Lemonlime said:

So which way is better? Vientiane all the time or fly to tw? I only plan to stay in V for half a day or so. Tw, the same 

You would not be able to get a tourist visa in half a day in Vientiane. You would only get a 15 day visa on arrival when you enter the country. To get a tourist visa you would have to spend at least one night since you apply for the visa the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

Same if you went to Taiwan. See: http://www.tteo.org.tw/main/th/services/5202/56235-Tourist-Visa-(TR---Single).html

You could apply for a multiple entry tourist visa in Taiwan if you can qualify for it.

http://www.tteo.org.tw/main/th/services/5202/61835-Tourist-Visa-(Multiple-Entry-Tourist-Visa---METV).html

wouldn't it be better to fly to HCMC/SGN over taiwan/TPE ?  the flight is shorter (probably cheaper) and the thai consulate in HCMC is somewhat friendly in terms of issuing tourist visas.  plus hotels are very cheap in HCMC.  for your first year you could try for an SETV at HCMC first, then use the consulates in laos for the next three (including extensions).  that way you haven't stayed all that long when you use the airport to return.  the second year, it might be best to try for an SETV in penang or KUL, and return via land border.  then try and get 3 more at the laos consulates.  it will be tough to get the third year.  could do a couple visa exempt entries via land borders and extend (giving 120 days total).  probably need to get a new passport so the laos consulates don't see all your SETV's from year 1 and 2.

Edited by buick

12 minutes ago, buick said:

wouldn't it be better to fly to HCMC/SGN over taiwan/TPE ?  the flight is shorter (probably cheaper) and the thai consulate in HCMC is somewhat friendly in terms of issuing tourist visas.  plus hotels are very cheap in HCMC.  for your first year you could try for an SETV at HCMC first, then use the consulates in laos for the next three (including extensions).  that way you haven't stayed all that long when you use the airport to return.  the second year, it might be best to try for an SETV in penang or KUL, and return via land border.  then try and get 3 more at the laos consulates.  it will be tough to get the third year.  could do a couple visa exempt entries via land borders and extend (giving 120 days total).  probably need to get a new passport so the laos consulates don't see all your SETV's from year 1 and 2.

Ah! Haven’t thought of that! But I can’t speak Vietnamese... (learnt it before but I forgot nearly all of it...)

2 hours ago, Vacuum said:
18 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Maybe he wants to do touristy things for 3 years..... still a tourist 

We all are...

No we’re not. We are all visitors. Tourism is just one reason granted for visiting.

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Serious question...can I marry a LB and do extension based on married to Thai national......just in case I every flip.

Same sex marriage is not currently recognised in Thailand, though there are possible moves towards it.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Same sex marriage is not currently recognised in Thailand, though there are possible moves towards it.

Yes, I read about that. My Thai gf long time ago said...."jack Thailand have many species ". We were chatting about many  "persuasions" in los. Same sex marriage in Thailand would perhaps be a Pandora's box.

3 hours ago, Lemonlime said:

I actually want to study but right now I am having trouble finding schools!!!!

In another thread of yours you stated....

I want an ed visa but do not wish to attend class.

I do not speak Vietnamese.... in response to suggestion of spending time in Vietnam.

I do want to do visa runs, they are expensive. 

I only want spend ONE day in Vientiane (in relation to obtaining setv)

I could go on and on and on.

Perhaps many members are cutting you slack because have not seen your other thread....  or like lot of TV members are actually trying to help. Stop mucking about.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

In another thread of yours you stated....

I want an ed visa but do not wish to attend class.

I do not speak Vietnamese.... in response to suggestion of spending time in Vietnam.

I do want to do visa runs, they are expensive. 

I only want spend ONE day in Vientiane (in relation to obtaining setv)

I could go on and on and on.

Perhaps many members are cutting you slack because have not seen your other thread....  or like lot of TV members are actually trying to help. Stop mucking about.

Well, class means uni classes but if it is a class I want to learn then yup I want to attend it 

come on idk that I was near Laos at that time