School-assault alleged leader blames alcohol for violence in tearful apology

webfact

This behavior is endemic of Thai Males when they are in a cluster. Once again physical abuse (sexual assault) blamed on the consumption of alcohol, bull..... Where does the religious ceremony part come in? How disgusting and they will likely get off with small fines, multiple Wais and their families bear no shame???

I reckon they're gonna get nailed for this. At least one has been sacked already, a second one will face the same if guilty, this story will not be brushed aside.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

his may sound naive but why are the wat and the monk in charge not getting his ass handed to him.  Is there not a way that the great poobahs of Buddhism can level something against the monastery for allowing the alcohol. 

Yup, nobody in authority seems to be inclined to hold the monks and temple responsible for allowing what occurred on their premises.  Not even a whiff of a mention of it.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Why can't these people EVER accept responsibility for their actions? It always seems to be someone else's or something else's fault.

I have yet to meet a thai who will admit they were wrong when caught doing something or being proved totally wrong !!

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 4:11 AM, webfact said:

Bang Khun Thien police then took Wanlop and 19 fellow defendants to Thon Buri Criminal Court to apply for their first 12-day detention period. 

The court denied bail for all the 20 men due to what it described as their brazen disrespect for the law and a risk that they would tamper with evidence and threaten witnesses.

I am surprised about how well the police have handled this case , so far. Normally you would think just a wai and a small fine would be enough, but not this time. 

I think it got something to do with getting drunk inside the temple grounds is very disrespectful for Buddhists, and also attacking a school with young students. 

Some justice could come out of this and maybe they will struggle to keep their jobs. 

Edited by balo

I am surprised about how well the police have handled this case , so far. Normally you would think just a wai and a small fine would be enough, but not this time. 

I think it got something to do with getting drunk inside the temple grounds is very disrespectful for Buddhists, and also attacking a school with young students. 

Some justice could come out of this and maybe they will struggle to keep their jobs. 

Hopefully if they all have jobs now, later they won't. Am hoping for a stint in jail for the lot of them. Nice to see the monks tried to stop them boozing, not. They must have made a good earner from 'religious ' ceremony.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sadly, this country is rife with alcohol abuse and is in denial of that fact. As an insider, there is Thai resistance to programs that are free, open to all and accessible. It exists worldwide, but not having "originated" in Thailand, it is preceived with suspicion and superstition. Truely Third World in this regard.