Has anyone done a SETV in Hanoi or HCMC recently?

I will be going to either or city in the near future to apply for a single entry tourist visa. I have never been to these places to apply before

Are they easy, and what extra requirements may they require that other embassies don't ? Has anyone had any recent experience applying at any one of these embassies, and any pointers would be great

Thank you very much all!

The requirements in both cities are similar. Applying there is pretty comfortable, but there are definite requirements today that were not enforced a few years ago. You should have confirmed flight reservations into and out of Thailand. You should also have a print out of a recent bank statement or bank book copy showing the equivalent of 20,000 Thai baht. To answer a common question: no, showing cash is not sufficient; they want something printed for their files. A confirmed bus ticket from, say, Hat Yai to Butterworth would probably be accepted in lieu of an onward flight. Similarly, if you planned to travel overland to Thailand, an itinerary with a confirmed reservation showing your entry into Thailand should be OK (but not preferred as it is not quite standard).

Previous post has it covered. I'm not so sure land travel in/out will be accepted. Thinking flights required. (Members please correct me if not the case). OP note that you need hard copy of flights for their records. Same applies to say photocopy of bank statement for proof of funds. I can only speak about Saigon, which is a small efficient consulate. Drop stuff off am pick up pm next day. Both cities are a blast! 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Previous post has it covered. I'm not so sure land travel in/out will be accepted. Thinking flights required. (Members please correct me if not the case). OP note that you need hard copy of flights for their records. Same applies to say photocopy of bank statement for proof of funds. I can only speak about Saigon, which is a small efficient consulate. Drop stuff off am pick up pm next day. Both cities are a blast! 

Yea its the same in HCMC although they want a copy of the proof of 20k baht. There is a photo copy shop just round the corner

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

The requirements in both cities are similar. Applying there is pretty comfortable, but there are definite requirements today that were not enforced a few years ago. You should have confirmed flight reservations into and out of Thailand. You should also have a print out of a recent bank statement or bank book copy showing the equivalent of 20,000 Thai baht. To answer a common question: no, showing cash is not sufficient; they want something printed for their files. A confirmed bus ticket from, say, Hat Yai to Butterworth would probably be accepted in lieu of an onward flight. Similarly, if you planned to travel overland to Thailand, an itinerary with a confirmed reservation showing your entry into Thailand should be OK (but not preferred as it is not quite standard).

Although you may get this. Immigration at DMK are being a pain in the arse. I was made to feel like a criminal for some reason. but the IO still gave me 60 days which I have just done my extension

16 minutes ago, dougiemac52 said:

Although you may get this. Immigration at DMK are being a pain in the arse. I was made to feel like a criminal for some reason. but the IO still gave me 60 days which I have just done my extension

If one has a longer history of stays in Thailand, it is best not to fly in or use the Poipet/Aranya land-border.  These rulers of these points of entry (fiefdoms) think there should be a law preventing repeat-tourists, and have been reported to make up false-reasons to deny entry to carry out their agenda. 

All other land-borders follow the published laws, per reports from recent years.  From Vietnam, one could fly to Penang or Vientiane, enter Thailand overland, then fly onwards domestic-air (from Hat Yai or Udon Thanni, respectively).

Edited by JackThompson

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If one has a longer history of stays in Thailand, it is best not to fly in or use the Poipet/Aranya land-border.  These rulers of these points of entry (fiefdoms) think there should be a law preventing repeat-tourists, and have been reported to make up false-reasons to deny entry to carry out their agenda. 

All other land-borders follow the published laws, per reports from recent years.  From Vietnam, one could fly to Penang or Vientiane, enter Thailand overland, then fly onwards domestic-air (from Hat Yai or Udon Thanni, respectively).

If I spent 4 nights out of the country in Hanoi and flew straight to Vientiane and did a land border run(with a tourist visa)that day would that raise any problems? I was thinking about doing this but I wasnt sure if it would look strange to the immigration that im coming from Hanoi to Laos and not even spending a day there. 

3 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

If I spent 4 nights out of the country in Hanoi and flew straight to Vientiane and did a land border run(with a tourist visa)that day would that raise any problems? I was thinking about doing this but I wasnt sure if it would look strange to the immigration that im coming from Hanoi to Laos and not even spending a day there. 

That entry-point has not been reported to create problems for those entering with a valid Tourist Visa (or visa exempt 2x per calendar year).  I would guess they know the story of events at the airports, and simply choose not to (or have not been paid to) play that game. 

That said, in general, the longer you stay out between Tourist entries the better, in terms of making sure it is clear you could not be holding down a job in Thailand. 

Perhaps your intuition is a good one, and a night in Vientiane before entering would be the better choice.  I don't recall any reports of issues with folks entering the same day of arrival in Malaysia or Laos, but the "fly nearby and enter by land" workaround is fairly new, so we have limited data to work from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That entry-point has not been reported to create problems for those entering with a valid Tourist Visa (or visa exempt 2x per calendar year).  I would guess they know the story of events at the airports, and simply choose not to (or have not been paid to) play that game. 

That said, in general, the longer you stay out between Tourist entries the better, in terms of making sure it is clear you could not be holding down a job in Thailand. 

Perhaps your intuition is a good one, and a night in Vientiane before entering would be the better choice.  I don't recall any reports of issues with folks entering the same day of arrival in Malaysia or Laos, but the "fly nearby and enter by land" workaround is fairly new, so we have limited data to work from.

And perhaps you should read current thread 're chap being refused entry at DM and returned to Malaysia. Mind you he then came back to Thailand via border crossing next day. As he fessed up later, he is teaching los illegally. Why don't you spend more time on these posts. Few months back guy refused entry DM sent back to Saigon. Then he boasts staying lis for 18 month on setv. Guess what he boasted building 3 bungalows on his property Hua hin. What is your issue. Always posting how to circumvent reasonable ways to live here. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

And perhaps you should read current thread 're chap being refused entry at DM and returned to Malaysia. Mind you he then came back to Thailand via border crossing next day. As he fessed up later, he is teaching los illegally. Why don't you spend more time on these posts. Few months back guy refused entry DM sent back to Saigon. Then he boasts staying lis for 18 month on setv. Guess what he boasted building 3 bungalows on his property Hua hin. What is your issue. Always posting how to circumvent reasonable ways to live here. 

If immigration had evidence of folks working illegally, and denied for this reason, then, no foul. 

No problem paying to build bungalows (can invest here as a tourist), but as I advised him in that thread, don't do ANY work (even if the Thai workers mess it up and you are just fixing their mistakes - which he reported happened in his case with plumbing). 

The teaching thing is another long thread - how the schools operate, refusing to issue paperwork until after a time, no enforcement against the schools for doing this routinely, etc.  I, again, advise (in that thread), to get the proper work-permit/visa.

In THIS thread, I am not aware of an "illegal work" issue, and the OP is asking a legit question about how immigration will view his entry at that entry-point (independent fiefdom).

Just picked up our Single Entry Visa today at Ho Chi Minh. We had just come from Thailand where we had stayed on a 60 day obtained in the UK and extended to 90 days in Krabi. The Consulate opens Monday to Friday 08:30 to 11:30 then 13:30 to 15:00. Check their website for holiday closings. You apply one day, pick up the next.

We applied yesterday afternoon, they only wanted from us our flight back to Thailand and the flight back to the UK (which was within 90 days as we are going back in 2 days). Although we had brought a copy bank statement with proof of funds and proof of our flight to Ho Chi Minh, they never asked for these.

Be aware, you will need a copy of each for each person. We only had one copy between 2 of us (we are a couple) and they wouldn't accept this, although the UK Thai Consulate did when applying.

We had to go to the copy shop, the one around the corner was closed and looks closed permanently although maybe not, nobody speaks English to confirm.

I had to go left out of door from Consulate, turn first left, then straight across one main road and to the next main road where you turn right and its on the opposite side of the road - you can see it from the junction, yellow and red photocopy sign, it was about 1000 dong for 2 copies. Just put Photocopy in Google maps and it should say 6 minute walk. The Consulate asked me for the location and I showed them on the map, so they may be able to point you to it if you ask.

They do not offer photographs, copies, printing or currency exchange and will not budge on this no matter how hard you try. My mistake for assuming we could do it together as a couple like we did in Liverpool.

Its is 40 USD per person, they do not accept any other currency.

A taxi will take you straight there but watch out for scammers scanning Grab bookings. Someone came up to us outside Rivergate where we were staying and said "you waiting for Grab to Thai Consulate?" We said yes, he said driver called him as he had broken down (there was a 7 minute wait and it had not changed from 7 minutes after about 5 minutes already). We got in and they then switched drivers around corner from Consulate saying it was his brother and changing shifts. When paying driver, he asked for smaller change and tried to touch the money I had in my hand which I had taken from my wallet whilst skimming  (slight of hand) 2 x 200,00 and 1 x 100,000 dong notes and dropping them into the handbrake recess. Luckily I was watching what he was doing as I had sussed it was a scam by this point. He become very irate and I got out without paying anything at all and walked straight in the Embassy to end it with him screaming outside.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, post said:

Just wonder how soon you ask for another extension of stay of 30 days after you successfully enter Thailand by using an SETV? 

Best to do it in the last week, and some IOs will tell you to go away if you try to do it too soon. 

Do you have a reason to go sooner?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Do you have a reason to go sooner?

Thanks for your reply.

I want to get an MREP before I leave for a neighboring country.  If I can ask for extension of stay for another 30 days at the first week (for example) after I enter Thailand,  the validity of the MREP is longer.  

30 minutes ago, post said:

I want to get an MREP

I assume that means multiple re-entry permit.

How many trips do you plan on making during your stay. A single re-entry permit might be better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, post said:

Thanks for your reply.

I want to get an MREP before I leave for a neighboring country.  If I can ask for extension of stay for another 30 days at the first week (for example) after I enter Thailand,  the validity of the MREP is longer.  

I see. I can only suggest you try and tell them that, I certainly have known people get the extension done early, and heard some being told to come back later!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume that means multiple re-entry permit.

How many trips do you plan on making during your stay. A single re-entry permit might be better.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, MREP stands for multiple re-entry permit.  Sorry for not getting it written clearer peviously.

3-4 trips (by land border) are expected during my stay (60+30 days).

4 minutes ago, post said:

3-4 trips (by land border) are expected during my stay (60+30 days).

Three or 4 trips would make getting a multiple would be worth the cost of it.

The only office I can recall doing the extension as early as you want it is Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...