Thailand vs. Malaysia, some observations

Poopyface

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Why let facts get in the way of a good argument?

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Malaysia&country2=Thailand&city1=Kuala+Lumpur&city2=Bangkok

Summary

Consumer Prices in Bangkok are 34.16% higher than in Kuala LumpurConsumer
Prices Including Rent in Bangkok are 41.71% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Rent Prices in Bangkok are 62.86% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Restaurant Prices in Bangkok are 11.98% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Groceries Prices in Bangkok are 39.62% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Local Purchasing Power in Bangkok is 47.60% lower than in Kuala Lumpur

Or alternatively a different viewpoint:

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/thailand/malaysia

Yum. The thought of going to Malaysia excites em about as much as a trip to Biloxi, Ms. No thanks. I like Bangkok.

43 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The link that byou provided states "Thailand is 19.0% cheaper than Malaysia."

While the first, which you edited out, says the opposite.

Thailand used to be cheaper, but with the weakening Ringgit, I am not so sure.

2 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Thailand used to be cheaper, but with the weakening Ringgit, I am not so sure.

Who said anything about Bangkok? Lol.

My experience is comparing Chiang Mai to KL and Penang, and I'll say it again, Thailand was cheaper for me.

5 hours ago, dabhand said:

The air pollution in Malaysia originates from the slash and burn of plantations in Sumatra and is at it's height from around August to October.

August to October, exactly when the air is cleanest in the north of Thailand, washed daily by the rains.

Right now the air is good in Malaysia, and brutal in the north of Thailand from February through April.

I see an easy seasonal rotation for those who like clean air and have the freedom of mobility.

I wonder in Bangkok has such a pattern, not bad aq now but quite grim just recently...

My first observation of Penang, Malaysia was that the country smells like a toilet. Like actually, it smells like people just sh@t in the streets. Even in the airport, the hygiene is atrocious. 

Penang is a sweat box. No wind. Just stagnant poop air. I’ve never sweat so much in my life. 

People will follow you into the bathroom in hopes of getting a look of your weiner.

Booze is expensive.

Food is bland. I do like Indian food though so it’s good for that.

I walked around for a few days and was hard pressed to find anything really of interest to be honest. The most interesting this was a cemetery that I had visited.

Kuala Lumpur. Yawn. Nothing to do. Lots of burqas. Lots of body odor.

On the whole. People are mostly friendly, prices are more expensive than Thailand, and you will yawn lots there. 

7 hours ago, Poopyface said:

Oh yeah, I forgot, no snarling soi dogs yet to contend with in Malaysia nor reports of having to get rabies shots.

Muslims hate dogs. Maybe that’s your scene, certainly not mine.

7 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Where were you in penang?  kuala lumpar? 

I would be interested in knowing more about these places.  KM looks very modern. 

KL is awesome super modern and well thought out. I just spent several days touring parks all throughout the city. Just Google images of parks in KL and get a look. Huge expanses of jungle reserves and parks, right in the middle of the city, free and easy. A fabulous cheap modern light rail subway system that could rival Paris' in it's reach. Great air quality at present. Safe and clean and dirt cheap. Sidewalks everywhere so your not constantly dodging cars. A sea of restaurants. Polite friendly people who are fluent in English. Cheap flights galore. An excellent long distance rail system.

Penang was a blast tho I was disappointed with the beaches- dangerous box jelly fish and pollution damper them big time. The national park with tons of monkeys was fab tho.

I've been told Langkawi is a much better beach option and that's right off the coast from Thailand, also with an airport.

I highly recommend Malaysia and it's so cheap and easy from Thailand.

Between the two countries, I've lots more exploring to do..

24 minutes ago, lust said:

Muslims hate dogs. Maybe that’s your scene, certainly not mine.

Rabid aggressive street dogs, ya I'll pass.

Funny how 2 people can have such different experiences.

I disagree with everything you said except about the Indian food, it's great in Malaysia. Oh yeah, booze is expensive too means not contending with drunks. That's a plus in my book.

The air smells so clean and not exhaust fumey in KL. People are well-dressed and obviously bathed and there are sinks with actual soap everywhere I look, unlike many other places I've been.

It's def a 'to each his own' thing...

Just now, NCC1701A said:

what is the "from first sighting" to "do boom boom" duration Malaysia? In Thailand I have experienced 1 minute 57 seconds as the best case and 2 hours 14 minutes as worse case. Do they have to wear that scarf thing? 

Are you talking about having sex and how long it takes to get to that stage?

There are no set rules or averages  , some girls wait untill marriage and some girls will do it immediately , but Malaysian girls are less promiscuous than Thai girls

7 hours ago, Poopyface said:

First of all what I said was a joke, so 'simmer down now'.

If you actually read my post, then the snide one-liner he followed with, it might make more sense to you.

I listed a number of things and he said "boring"

Pretty basic math here actually.

But I get it, you were bored, thanks for sharing, I guess thats it, run along now...

You seriously need to work on your "joke" delivery especially the missing punchline

You do realize when you meet and fall in love with a Malaysian lady you are going to have to convert to Islam right? And that most defiantly is no joke ????

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

you do realize when you meet and fall in love with a Malaysian lady you are going to have to convert to Islam right? And that most defiantly is no joke ????

oh yeah I am on board for that. :clap2:somebody book my flight. :cheesy:

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

You seriously need to work on your "joke" delivery especially the missing punchline

You do realize when you meet and fall in love with a Malaysian lady you are going to have to convert to Islam right? And that most defiantly is no joke ????

I don't understand your defiance.  

You only have to convert if the lady in question is Muslim, and it doesn't seem to be taken too seriously, though I imagine that depends on the lady to some extent.

It might be hard to find hookers, if you don't have an internet connection and can't afford a taxi into the centre of KL, though I imagine it could be done.

16 minutes ago, madmen said:

What you clearly don't realize is that only 61% of the Malaysian population is Muslim.

8 hours ago, Poopyface said:

But right now you couldn't pay me to go to Chiang Mai.

Oh dear...we are missing your company!!

But never mind we'll all be dead soon killed by pollution!!

I'm surprised there are any of us left....but we are here nevertheless

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

yes do you have any figures? my numbers are actual data that I collected in Thailand. 

It's just such a dumb question. I wouldn't know about prostitution as I don't pay people to like me.

Intuition tells me it probably works pretty much the same globally- the sooner it ends the sooner they get paid and are done with you. Cause they ain't there for you they want your money.

And I can't fathom what's fulfilling about that.

Oh yeah I forgot, you are trying to be funny.

A swing and a miss.

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Good luck with that.  Nothing wrong with living in a Muslim country.  So how's the women situation? 

Having worked in lived in Penang, I can say going to Thailand from Malaysia for holiday was like giving a T-Bone to a Starving man......

However, good post, PPYFace....... Malaysia is a great retirement option vs. Thailand.  Include health care as a + for Malaysia.

Enjoy...

7 hours ago, lust said:

My first observation of Penang, Malaysia was that the country smells like a toilet. Like actually, it smells like people just sh@t in the streets. Even in the airport, the hygiene is atrocious.

Penang is a sweat box. No wind. Just stagnant poop air. I’ve never sweat so much in my life.

People will follow you into the bathroom in hopes of getting a look of your weiner.

Booze is expensive.

I walked around for a few days and was hard pressed to find anything really of interest to be honest. The most interesting this was a cemetery that I had visited.

Kuala Lumpur. Yawn. Nothing to do. Lots of burqas. Lots of body odor.

On the whole. People are mostly friendly, prices are more expensive than Thailand, and you will yawn lots there. 

My only qualms about living in a Muslim country are the god-forsaken loudspeakers: pre-dawn and daytime especially.  And the way the women are covered up and restricted, in Malaysia there are some very nice full-figures under that cloth, and some women know how to play it suggestively, but don't try -- the local faithful could decide to group together and carry out god's will, and it will be much worse for the girl than your infidel self.  Sigh...

And on the subject of the cloth: there seems to be a preference for synthetic fabrics, which, generally, do not breathe.  I think that before going there I could probably count the times in my life that I smelt B.O. coming from a lady.  It's a bit of a warp to my comprehension, as I would think that having to bathe several times a day before prayer would make for a culture obsessed with cleanliness.

And on this note I'll admit here that I get a certain rash in Malaysia.  I've been to nearly every ASEAN country and I only get it there.  It is in the groin region, and I can assure you I do not contact it from, er, entertaining.  The answer I've settled upon is the dirty seats in public places, the filth seeping through the thin cloth of my trousers.  Heavier cloth?  Just try wearing jeans in Penang!  I also noticed hotels, guest houses etc will put their laundry out to dry on fences, walls etc.  These things are covered with bird splat and who knows what else, and the only cleaning they get is the rinse from the rain.  I usually shower twice a day when there, and perhaps those hotel towels un-do the shower.

Asepso is your friend.

Once on the ferry from Penang to Butterworth I noticed there was no breeze, right there in the middle of the strait.  My most un-refreshing boat ride ever!

And hopes of having more than a look!  Been to Kota Kinabalu?  Probably the gayest town I've been to this side of San Francisco.  In certain Latin American countries there will be ladies sitting discretely in the hotel lobbies.  In KK it will be guys, usually Chinese and over 30, giving you a big toothy smile.  But that sort of thing is against the law, so I'm obviously lying.

Sorry @lust  can't see this one at all.  But as for Chinese food, if you're traveling alone, you will not have much choice, same handful of noodles dishes and fried rice.  The Chinese restaurants are set up to serve families and that's where the food ranges from good to incredibly good, but these are entrees made to serve at least 4.  Plus you have to know how to order.  If the food wasn't good they would not be in business for long.  When it comes to demanding good food the Malaysian Chinese are right up there with the French.

I'm still stalling on writing up the wet floors thing.

10 hours ago, Poopyface said:

What you clearly don't realize is that only 61% of the Malaysian population is Muslim.

What you dont seem to realize is thats the majority. 

This should help Bin poopyface     https://www.islamreligion.com/articles/204/how-to-convert-to-islam-and-become-muslim/

have fun , make sure you keep us posted. Your already living in Malaysia right now right? Or like the other 1000 posters that threaten to leave....one day soon ????

Archived