Thailand vs. Malaysia, some observations

Poopyface

8 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Ah, I see it just requires proof of the money, in addition to being 50 years old. And 90 day reporting. 

Sounds easy-peasy, I would've thunk it was harder to retire in Thailand given the volume of bellyaching on this forum.

I'm guessing one has to commit to a province/address and not bounce around the country like a traveler? Or can you just report wherever you want to live at the moment and mix it up?

So why doesn't everyone just get the retirement visa? (If the meet those 2 basic reqs obviously).

Anyone in the know care to compare/contrast retirement prerequisites in Thailand and Malaysia?

I'm just curious, I've not settling down any time soon, but it's good to know the options.

Thailand - no money in a Thai bank if O-A 2 year visa and no monthly pension required.  Malaysia Quarter of a million US dollars left on deposit in Malaysian bank and 2,500 pension monthly.  Didn't see that coming did ya?

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Ah, I see it just requires proof of the money, in addition to being 50 years old. And 90 day reporting. 

You only report if stay 90 days - no need to stay are you have a multi entry visa valid for one year of use and get a one year permitted to stay on any entry.

Downside to everyone using is you have to apply in country of your residence and many of us never go there.  Also for some getting the medical paper signed for a reasonable price is an issue in malpractice lawyer lands and some may have police report issues.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Anyone in the know care to compare/contrast retirement prerequisites in Thailand and Malaysia?

The two hardest countries in SEA in which to stay.

Why hit your head against these walls, Cambodia $300 for a year, Vietnam $400 for a year, Philippines same price but stay for 3 years without leaving. No 90 day reports, no trips to immigration, no address reporting, just pay and stay.

Edited by BritManToo

29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Also for some getting the medical paper signed for a reasonable price is an issue in malpractice lawyer lands and some may have police report issues.

You get the medical form signed by a doctor in Thailand before you return to your home country.

This isn't rocket science.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You get the medical form signed by a doctor in Thailand before you return to your home country.

I believe the LA consulate is saying you can't do that and the bank account also has to be in America.  Otherwise it would be a simple flight in and out. 

39 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand - no money in a Thai bank if O-A 2 year visa and no monthly pension required.  Malaysia Quarter of a million US dollars left on deposit in Malaysian bank and 2,500 pension monthly.  Didn't see that coming did ya?

You said USD250,000, is that number even correct? Mine was just USD85,000 drawn down to half.  In the 8 years I had the visa, I visited immigration not more than 4 times iirc. How many times have you done that here in the past year. ???? Plus I get to own the land the house was built on.  Not forgetting that red and white wine are much cheaper and a wider selection in Malaysia than in Thailand.

Edited by farangx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most people who use the O-A system are not in Thailand however so that option would not be on the table.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Most people who use the O-A system are not in Thailand however so that option would not be on the table.

Since the recent changes I think, "most people" would change.  For me it would mean a simple flight in and out except the information on American/Thai official websites is changing it seems. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The two hardest countries in SEA in which to stay.

Why hit your head against these walls, Cambodia $300 for a year, Vietnam $400 for a year, Philippines same price but stay for 3 years without leaving. No 90 day reports, no trips to immigration, no address reporting, just pay and stay.

I don’t understand what the $300/$400 gets you; there are no one year retirement visa schemes for Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam similar to Thailand.

1 minute ago, Bogbrush said:

I don’t understand what the $300/$400 gets you; there are no one year retirement visa schemes for Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam similar to Thailand.

It pays for extension of stay - in PI you can extend a tourist visa entry up to 3 years before leaving for a day and returning - you just pay ofr extensions and local ID (ACR) card.

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I didn't mention Laos, it's a shithole and nobody in their right mind would want to live there.

Cambodia and Vietnam both have 1 year VISA/extensions available. Cambodia calls theirs a 1 year ES, $300 through any agent, if over 55 years old, no evidence of any finances required.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no money on deposit in PI if using normal tourist visa (which most people not married do).

No money required if you enter PI with your Filipino wife either, free 1 year VISA from any external Consulate/embassy.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no money on deposit in PI if using normal tourist visa (which most people not married do).

Since this whole thing recently is about the changes in retirement extension policies I think you are a bit off base.  $20,000 USD is memory serves. 

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since this whole thing recently is about the changes in retirement extension policies I think you are a bit off base.  $20,000 USD is memory serves. 

Retirement extension is not required in Philippines - they are happy to extend tourist visa for 3 years at a time and one day out happy to have you return.  And people have been doing this until death - there just is no need for the "long stay" system used by Thailand.  The fact is most of retirement age in PI use tourist visas or if married to Filipina enter with wife for one year stays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

...and some may have police report issues.

Oh yeah that's right! A friend ran into that trying to teach in Thailand, 40 years ago at 18 years of age he got popped with possession of a controlled substance and it's on his permanent record.

Ineligible for any kind of visa or job which requires police check from home country.

Screwed for life. 

Edited by YogaVeg

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why hit your head against these walls, Cambodia $300 for a year, Vietnam $400 for a year, Philippines same price but stay for 3 years without leaving.

I think an honest answer is fear of dismal medical care. Thailand and Malaysia are known for some decent hospitals, the  other countries not so much. And the reputations for being dangerous places...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I think an honest answer is fear of dismal medical care. Thailand and Malaysia are known for some decent hospitals, the  other countries not so much. And the reputations for being dangerous places...

Yeah, looking at Cambodia, the medical care situation is the biggest negative I've found. I could see hanging out there and taking a chance for a few years, but moving there "permanently" much more problematical. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

My 10 day visit to Malaysia was full of scammers, rude people, and anti white attitude s.

I hated it will never go back.

Not in my experience at all.

I gotta wonder how you present yourself.

People in both Malaysia and Thailand were overwhelmingly freindly and kind to me. Thailand was more scammy at times and in Malaysia communicating is much easier. I like both places a lot.

The only rude people I encountered seem to be mainland China Nationals and drunk falang. 

And the people working the ferries and taxis...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, looking at Cambodia, the medical care situation is the biggest negative I've found. I could see hanging out there and taking a chance for a few years, but moving there "permanently" much more problematical. 

I think the best options are likely Vietnam or Malaysia.  The Ph is still up in the air as I seem to see a lot of mixed reports.  Cambodia is always there but given the huge influx of Chinese and current underdeveloped infrastructure it requires more research. And if South America I think Columbia would be a good possibility (Medellin).  Of course imho there is still Thailand if you are willing to do the 800k or pay the right source:).  I would advise not to do anything until the elections have completed. 

16 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I think the best options are likely Vietnam or Malaysia.  The Ph is still up in the air as I seem to see a lot of mixed reports.  Cambodia is always there but given the huge influx of Chinese and current underdeveloped infrastructure it requires more research. And if South America I think Columbia would be a good possibility (Medellin).  Of course imho there is still Thailand if you are willing to do the 800k or pay the right source:).  I would advise not to do anything until the elections have completed. 

Well, from a retirement perspective, Vietnam has no retirement visa and one year visas are not always available. I can't see making a long term commitment to that. Malaysia has much higher financial requirements than Thailand. The formal Philippines program can work for many and I do read many live there long term more informally. However for retirees with preexisting health conditions the pension requirement is higher for the formal program and not all will be able to meet it. Personally like Vietnam, I wouldn't want to commit long term without joining a formal program (not available at all in Vietnam). 

Yes, Colombia does intrigue.

The exchange rate is very attractive and I have heard a recent report that the visa is easy (good for three years, then again for three years, then at five years can apply for permanent residence). The financial requirement is certainly VERY LOW and there is no silliness about required imports/bank account levels like you know where. There is even a citizenship option and if you're an oldster the normal testing requirements (language, history) are exempted. 

Medellin is becoming almost too popular though, there is serious gringo pricing on apartments, air pollution is a problem, and there has been a recent spike in violent crime. The crime issue maybe OK if you avoid narco types and commercial sex scenes. 

There are other choices in Colombia for those that want to be more like expat pioneers. 

Edited by Jingthing

39 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

I thought you were one of those healthy living guys, why are you worried about hospitals?

Just now, Jingthing said:

Healthy or not, we're all mortal, subject to traffic accidents, dengue fever, what have you. 

I'm old (mid-60s) and get falling down drunk every day.

Never worry about medical care, no insurance, not had any problems that a few stitches won't cure. 

Death is coming and I welcome it.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm old (mid-60s) and get falling down drunk every day.

Never worry about medical care, no insurance, not had any problems that a few stitches won't cure. 

Death is coming and I welcome it.

That's certainly cheaper!

2 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

Vietnam isn't that dangerous, but your motorbike needs to be in an enclosed and locked area at night.   There are security guards everywhere.  On the other hand, I have heard horror stories about Vietnamese hospitals.   People say you have to bribe doctors and nurses to pay attention to you and several hospitals in Vietnam still require two patients share a bed together.

In the Philippines, hospital security guards are there to keep patients from leaving the hospital until they pay their bill.