Thailand vs. Malaysia, some observations

Poopyface

14 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

????

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

That;'s how I went to Munich...

That's pretty much why I have stopped going on holiday.  I think it's better to find what you are looking for where you are, than to go somewhere else on someone else's recommendations.

On that note, the thing about Paris is, you can just step on the metro fresh off the plane and land anywhere. By pure happenstance, I waltzed into the Montmartre district, and just kept climbing till I reached the Sacre Couer. The thing about the Sacre Couer is, you can spend the night for a couple euros in a cosy dorm if you are willing to participate in the unbroken chain of prayer for world Peace for just one hour.

For those sweating the substantial cost of a hotel room in Paris, it's a God send (literally).

*And I've seen no evidence of a Sacre Couer situation in either Thailand or Malaysia!*

Thank heavens the hotels are cheaper...

The point is, if one is "looking for" thrilling adventure and new life experience, travel, especially random travel, is a great way to go and far more thrilling in my view than sitting in an apartment somewhere hoping I've found "it".

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

???? Wrong once more! ????

Guess again. The OP clearly states in their opening statement that this thread is about contrasting Thailand and Malaysia from the perspective of a self-proclaimed "budget traveler" who is using tourist visas and exemptions to wander SE Asia.

That's what I have been responding to. 

You lost there buddy?

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.

Next...

I was reading the OP, "And of course, Malaysia makes it much easier and cheaper for tourists regarding visa exemptions..."

And I see nothing in Malaysia that fits that definition.  Do you?  What visa exemptions does Malaysia have?

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What visa exemptions does Malaysia have?

90 days visa free no cost.

Then you might border run of at least a week, return by air and get 90 more days visa free.

That's 6 months a year visa free before they give you trouble*, with one border run. At no cost other than travel.

In fact, perfect for those who want to dodge poor air quality and spend serious time in both Malaysia and Thailand, while avoiding hassles aimed at long-termers.

They have different burning seasons.

Flights are cheap and sleeper car railroads are cheaper between Thailand and Malaysia, they compliment each other nicely.

*(I've heard it's a bad idea to try to get a 3rd 90 days in a year, they might deny, sounds like IO discretion and Malaysia just like Thailand is clamping down on those trying to live in the country as a "tourist")

11 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

90 days visa free no cost.

Then you might border run of at least a week, return by air and get 90 more days visa free.

That's 6 months a year visa free before they give you trouble, with one border run. At no cost other than travel.

In fact, perfect for those who want to dodge poor air quality and spend serious time in both Malaysia and Thailand, while avoiding hassles aimed at long-termers.

They have different burning seasons.

Flights are cheap and sleeper car railroads are cheaper between Thailand and Malaysia, they compliment each other nicely.

A decent apartment yearly rental would be a lot less per day than a livable hotel.  But I've heard that Malaysia has recently disallowed government pensions from being considered as income for a retirement visa.

The only way would be sublet for 6 months and use your system with another country.  Get another expat and partner a deal to move back and forth.  Malaysia has burning smoke air problems too as I understand it.   

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A decent apartment yearly rental would be a lot less per day than a livable hotel.  But I've heard that Malaysia has recently disallowed government pensions from being considered as income for a retirement visa.

The only way would be sublet for 6 months and use your system with another country.  Get another expat and partner a deal to move back and forth.  Malaysia has burning smoke air problems too as I understand it.   

Tourists don't seek annual apartment contracts.

Travelers don't stay in one place 6 months at a time.

I'm glad you now understand that Malaysia has air issues, as you just quoted me saying it...

That means some of this is sinking in...????

Read it again, the part about the different burning seasons, for the full effect of my point.

34 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

Tourists don't seek annual apartment contracts.

Travelers don't stay in one place 6 months at a time.

I'm glad you now understand that Malaysia has air issues, as you just quoted me saying it...

That means some of this is sinking in...????

Read it again, the part about the different burning seasons, for the full effect of my point.

The last time I was a tourist was 1963.  That's when I decided to move instead of tour. 

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The last time I was a tourist was 1963.  That's when I decided to move instead of tour. 

So it's been 55 years since you've last traveled, and I'm a current globe-hopper.

Ya I can see why we might have differing perspectives and experiences. ????

12 minutes ago, YogaVeg said:

So it's been 55 years since you've last traveled, and I'm a current globe-hopper.

Ya I can see why we might have differing perspectives and experiences. ????

I've lived in 28 different places since 1963.  I was just never a tourist - I moved.  Brief exposure creates a false feeling of expertise while living in a community creates sound knowledge.  For example in the 1960's I lived (not toured) in both Thailand and Vietnam. 

My name is O'Kelly, I've heard the Revelly
From Birr to Bareilly, from Leeds to Lahore,
Hong Kong and Peshawur,
Lucknow and Etawah,
And fifty four more all endin' in "pore".

On 3/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, marcusarelus said:

I've never seen a sign of a minimum at 7/11. 

Sorry.  I don't think you have ever been to Thailand. 

visaa.jpg

On 3/2/2019 at 10:14 PM, marcusarelus said:

You stay in a 300 baht room and try to use a credit card for a 40 baht street meal?  You find a lot of vegetarian street outlets?  Aw come on.  India maybe but not in Thailand. 

On 3/2/2019 at 11:14 PM, marcusarelus said:

7/11 does not have a mandatory minimum. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, marcusarelus said:

On 3/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, marcusarelus said:

I've lived in 28 different places since 1963.  I was just never a tourist - I moved.  Brief exposure creates a false feeling of expertise while living in a community creates sound knowledge.  For example in the 1960's I lived (not toured) in both Thailand and Vietnam. 

Totally depends on how quick a learner you are.

For example, I understood that street vendors, yes in Thailand, all sell vegetarian meals if you ask, within hours of my arrival.

I comprehended that 7-11 has a 300 baht minimum in one single visit.

I knew DeeMoney wasn't a bank in one simple online search.

Didn't take me 50+ years...

I give each town at least a week and more like a month, and in this time I've figured out it's transit systems, eating and money options, accommodations, nightlife and pulse, and whether I wish to pursue the place further.

I don't need decades and I neither come on this forum spewing misinformation nor accusing other members in paranoid fashion of never visiting Thailand.

But we all have our strengths and weaknesses...????

You should try being a tourist sometime. You might learn something.

• 6 months later...

Archived