Thailand vs. Malaysia, some observations

Poopyface

Chased off by visa restrictions, I decided to explore Malaysia. 

I'm so happy that I did!

After 4 months in Thailand and one in Malaysia as a budget tourist, here are some observations.

Feel free to add yours!

-Thailand is 25% cheaper for food, but I've been getting nicer budget hotels in Malaysia for the same price

-Thai food is better (imho)

Fewer options for vegetarian in Malaysia, but far more good Indian food

-the air quality is much much cleaner in Malaysia, especially right now. Vehicle exhausts are far cleaner and notably less fumey. Significantly less burning of garbage and crops. 

-it is much safer to walk the cities of Malaysia, given ample sidewalks they don't drive/park on

-drivers are somewhat more courteous towards pedestrians in Malaysia.

Still not courteous enough tho imo. 

-far more English spoken in Malaysia

-far more green areas in Malaysian cities 

-public transport in Malaysia is light years ahead of Thailand in every regard

-people seem freindlier and more polite in Malaysia, tho probably partly a function of being able to communicate much better in English

-far less numbers of rude Chinese mainland tourists cutting in front of us in line and coughing in our faces. 

-more smoking in hotels, restaurants and other public spaces in Malaysia.

In Thailand it was usually a falang blowing smoke in my face. In Malaysia, it's everywhere, especially in hotels, EVEN though the government just started a smoking ban.

I hope they get serious on that nasty disgusting habit.

-less alcohol availability and consumption in Malaysia is a refreshing change imo

* And of course, Malaysia makes it much easier and cheaper for tourists regarding visa exemptions...

Thoughts?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Snow Leopard said:

Nightlife is a bit limited in Malaysia no?

The nightlife of Kuala Lumpur was happening big time and even the bars of Penang, tho I hit it for the finale of Chinese New Year's.

Lots of live music in KL.

Prostitution I expect would be far less in Malaysia but I've no interest in that, in fact I appreciate being able to walk around without being constantly propositioned by sex workers who view me as an ATM.

I guess it all depends on what your looking for.

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Good luck with that.  Nothing wrong with living in a Muslim country.  So how's the women situation? 

The women are adorable, freindly, well-dressed, well-mannered and well-behaved, and super easy to talk to, most speak fluent English. 

Actually tons of Muslim women in the south of Thailand, islands, ect.

And I find them all quite charming.

8 minutes ago, Poopyface said:

For those alcoholic chainsmokers who love smog and dodging cars while walking around, most definitely. ????

what a childish thing to say. So if you dislike being bored then you must be alcoholic? 
Dodging cars ? that doesn't even make sense

Why arent you there now?  Must be comfortable living in a country that still practices sharia law

The whole of Malaysia is breathtakingly boring except for a few nights in George town I couldn't wait to get back to the vibe of  Thailand

I was in KL for a month a few years back and the pollution was unbearable, so I spent most of the time ill. I believe that mass burning was taking place in the island of Sumatra (Indonesia) at the time so I don't know how prevalent this is. So I don't think you can escape it.

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

what a childish thing to say. So if you dislike being bored then you must be alcoholic? 
Dodging cars ? that doesn't even make sense

First of all what I said was a joke, so 'simmer down now'.

If you actually read my post, then the snide one-liner he followed with, it might make more sense to you.

I listed a number of things and he said "boring"

Pretty basic math here actually.

But I get it, you were bored, thanks for sharing, I guess thats it, run along now...

10 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I was in KL for a month a few years back and the pollution was unbearable, so I spent most of the time ill. I believe that mass burning was taking place in the island of Sumatra (Indonesia) at the time so I don't know how prevalent this is. So I don't think you can escape it.

What time of year was that?

My whole point about the pollution is that yes it can be escaped, I'm doing just that.

Actually Bangkok is faring far better than Chiang Mai at present, Pattaya looks good and the southern islands are fine.

Just look at the air quality index maps...

I will take it as it comes and leave accordingly when necessary. 

I love Thailand and look forward to more time in the north when rainy season starts.

But right now you couldn't pay me to go to Chiang Mai.

53 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Indeed Malaysia is covered with fire smog from Indonesia every year - often extending into Southern Thailand.   

The air pollution in Malaysia originates from the slash and burn of plantations in Sumatra and is at it's height from around August to October. Ironically it is caused, in the main, by Malaysian owned corporations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_Malaysia

I was based in KL from 1997 to 1999. The pollution in late 1997 was dreadful and I recall that the haze blocked out the sun for a full month during that period. Much talk about solving the issue but, as the wiki article testifies, nowt much has been done and further instances have occurred in 2005 and 2015. Commercial considerations trump all.

My connections to Malaysia go back to 1991 and Thailand to 1981. On balance I find Thailand to be a more open and easy going country with minimal personal restrictions provided you have a sensible approach to life. Whereas Malaysia gives out a vibe of religious divides that are rather too close to the surface for my liking.

1 hour ago, Poopyface said:

-far less numbers of rude Chinese mainland tourists cutting in front of us in line and coughing in our faces. 

The local Chinese lads will take care of that for you, proudly displaying rudeness and poor hygiene.

But most of the older Chinese there speak good English as a a result of the education system they are not part of, and are pretty approachable people, generally.  I stayed in Penang in the Georgetown area, it still has some quaintness and I enjoy walking around at night.  There are nicer areas with better accommodation, but they are not as interesting.  The second biggest celebration in Penang is the Hungry Ghost festival, usually in August.  Check it out if you can, it goes on for about 2 weeks.

I revolved around SEA on the visa shuffle for some years, Malaysia has (had?) a good visa deal, 3 months at a time, then a run to the border and back. 

I hear ya with that thing about smoking, and the Indonesians are possibly worse.

I'll leave discussion of wet floors for another post.

Why let facts get in the way of a good argument?

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Malaysia&country2=Thailand&city1=Kuala+Lumpur&city2=Bangkok

Summary

Consumer Prices in Bangkok are 34.16% higher than in Kuala LumpurConsumer
Prices Including Rent in Bangkok are 41.71% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Rent Prices in Bangkok are 62.86% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Restaurant Prices in Bangkok are 11.98% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Groceries Prices in Bangkok are 39.62% higher than in Kuala Lumpur
Local Purchasing Power in Bangkok is 47.60% lower than in Kuala Lumpur

Or alternatively a different viewpoint:

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/thailand/malaysia

Archived