Cambodia Motorbike Road Trip 2019 The good, the bad and the painful!

chrissables

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I was also under the impression a bike 'passport' was needed from L & T dept....

Be a nightmare to turn up at the border with the wrong docs at the start of a trip...

You mean the translation of the Thai number plate i presume. Laos and Cambodia not i have read. Malaysia you do need.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I was also under the impression a bike 'passport' was needed from L & T dept....

Be a nightmare to turn up at the border with the wrong docs at the start of a trip...

discontinued for bikes several years ago.

31 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

How do you go about getting the bike insured for your time out of the country, what is the process?

Any contacts for companies that do this?

Thanks.

You need to buy Malaysian insurance at the border, in order to get the sticker.

This is same as you buy at DLT here - covers not much.

Tried many companies in my time here - no coverage outside Thailand.

No First Class outside of LOS unless you are a resident.

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

You need to buy Malaysian insurance at the border, in order to get the sticker.

This is same as you buy at DLT here - covers not much.

Tried many companies in my time here - no coverage outside Thailand.

No First Class outside of LOS unless you are a resident.

Cambodia the same?

2 hours ago, chrissables said:

Even for Malaysia?

My understanding and experience is that the Thai Land Transport Department stopped issuing them for bikes some time before 2015 and in co-ordination with Immigration and Customs, they were therefore no longer required to exit Thailand. I have taken my bike to Laos on many occasions but never to Malaysia.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

How do you go about getting the bike insured for your time out of the country, what is the process?

Any contacts for companies that do this?

Thanks.

No idea I'm afraid. I did not have any and was not asked for any at the border.

42 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

My understanding and experience is that the Thai Land Transport Department stopped issuing them for bikes some time before 2015 and in co-ordination with Immigration and Customs, they were therefore no longer required to exit Thailand. I have taken my bike to Laos on many occasions but never to Malaysia.

2016 Malaysia required a translation and a number plate sticker of the translation. Now, i don't know if still required.

14 minutes ago, chrissables said:

2016 Malaysia required a translation and a number plate sticker of the translation. Now, i don't know if still required.

"A translation and a number plate sticker of the translation"

OK, these are not the purple book/vehicle passport so I feel confident to say they are history for motorbikes.

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Cambodia the same?

AFAIK

I even tried to purchase insurance on a rental bike here. No way.

One thing to do if visiting Laos or Cambodia - make arrangements for transport back to Thailand in case of a medical emergency.

Altho Bangkok Hospital is opening / has opened a hospital in PNP

On 2/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, chrissables said:

Day 17. 19th Jan. Preah Vihea 471km

A long ride today to the temple on the Cambodian / Thai border which Thailand still disputes is theirs.

The final stretch of road to the summit was extremely steep, but fun to ride. One of the Cambodians soldiers allowed me to park in his front garden and it was a pleasant walk with some great views.

Very enjoyable report, thanks. 6000km in 30 days on a bike; im knackered after our annual 2000km 10 days CAR trip.

I went to the thai side of the temple a few years back and the wife heard from the soilders the cambodians were building  a road up. Any photos? What was it like? I ask as i was trying  to  imagine how they'd get a road up that steep escarpment. Cheers.

56 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Very enjoyable report, thanks. 6000km in 30 days on a bike; im knackered after our annual 2000km 10 days CAR trip.

I went to the thai side of the temple a few years back and the wife heard from the soilders the cambodians were building  a road up. Any photos? What was it like? I ask as i was trying  to  imagine how they'd get a road up that steep escarpment. Cheers.

At the summit, really steep. But paved until you enter the complex.

It is hard riding, but if i sit doing nothing, i will find somewhere to go. ???? 

41 minutes ago, bprinceuk said:

Great trip report, and nice photographs, hope your leg is fully recovered. Thank you for sharing. 

Thanks.

The leg is fine, my right hand from the first fall still swollen. But as i can still ride, have left as is.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:33 AM, JaiLai said:

Some great Photos, Thanks

The purple book is ONLY used for visiting Laos
I take my thai car into Camboida every year via usually Osmach, (south of surin  and exit at Koh Kong or Palin.

Riding / driving thru Camboida is not for the  inexperienced, as ur dealing with lots of distractions all the time on the roads

PS; you can't buy insurance for a thai registered vehicle for Cambodia

Also contrary to the ASEAN laws where they say a 5 year Thai license is valid for driving in Cambodia.  Its not. IF your stopped you will be fined ($2-10)

Theres been a road up to the summit at Preah Vihear on the Cambodian side for years and years

My last trip from Phuket- Mae sot-Chiang Mai- Nan- Surin- Siem Rep- Phnom Pehn- Kep- Koh Kong- Phuket..7,200 kms  .https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p276303037

Archived