Italian couple crushed to death by oil tanker in southern Thailand

webfact

The tanker driver takes the curve very tightly (does not make a wide turn) at a rate of speed and angle which necessitated him entering the right hand lane of the road he was merging onto. Also, look at the time stamp on the video. Only two seconds go by from the time the tanker enters the shot until it is overturning. The left rear tires lose contact with the road early on, further suggesting excessive speed, even if no other traffic had been present. My sincerest condolences to the family.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least to a certain percentage the scooter is to blame. He should have stopped to let the tanker pass, because he was the one to make a right turn and the tanker had the right of way. This accident was avoidable.

again we see a truck driver that thinks he has right of way whenever he wants it and can drive recklessly, far too much speed, too sharp a turn and failing to give way, nothing new really. Hopefully the police charge him with manslaughter and put him away for many years but he will probably get a slap on the wrist dive a wai and pay a small fine instead

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Man, riding/driving on the roads here you have to be on the ball and focussed 110% and literally be prepared for anything. Such a tragic accident. RIP

Yes, I agree. But how do you prepare for that? 

Now we all know and will be more alert of over turning trucks at high speed, but it wasn’t something that ever crossed my mind until today. I always kept on eye on vehicles merging in that manner but it never occurred to me any of them would flip over and crush me. 

Terrifying.

If the immigration policy doesn’t send you packing, the roads will cripple or kill you. Awesome place for retirees.  

Just now, dcnx said:

Now we all know and will be more alert of over turning trucks at high speed, but it wasn’t something that ever crossed my mind until today. I always kept on eye on vehicles merging in that manner but it never occurred to me any of them would flip over and crush me. 

Terrifying.

If the immigration policy doesn’t send you packing, the roads will cripple or kill you. Awesome place for retirees.  

Never forget the number one driving rule in Thailand... "there are no rules!"

12 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

I think the motorbike should have slowed down and not carry on towards the tanker.

In hindsight yes but a driver perhaps unfamiliar with Thailand would be thinking  "What kind of irresponsible idiot would speed a fully loaded tanker through a tight corner.  I should be safe.".... well we probably all know the answer.

21 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

hard to tell, accidents happen , for the police to investigate

I think Stevie Wonder might struggle to tell, but if you explain to Stevie that a large tanker drove onto another road at a junction and as it turned the tanker toppled over on his side, I suspect Stevie would conclude that the “mothafecker of a driver was driving too fast”. Roy Orbison, of course, may have taken a different view.

The truck driver taking the corner way too fast,the oil moves

over causing him to tip over,i hope the police check out his brakes

and do him for lying to them,along with everything else,i wonder

if the police ever check out the brakes,every time its used as an

excuse,i doubt it,too much trouble for them.

RIP the Italians, good job they weren't Chinese.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The driver said as he approached the junction the brakes didn’t work properly causing him to lose control of the tanker

What he really meant to say was that as he approached the junction going too quickly the brakes couldn't slow him down in time.

RIP to the couple.

Jeez.

When your time is up, your time is up.

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Another few seconds either way....

RIP to the young couple.

I hope the driver is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez.

RIP to the young couple.

Full extent of what law?  We all know he will get away with killing these poor people, due probably to his own criminal negligence. They say that 'the law is an ass'.  well it sure is here.  

59 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

maybe it was carelessness, hard to tell with that video, but it could happen to anyone.. trucks and buses overturn all the time, it's called a traffic accident.. just this time a motorbike was in the wrong place at the wrong time.. 

If a fuel truck in the West flips over the fuel just stays inside unless it cracks.

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The truck driver taking the corner way too fast,the oil moves

over causing him to tip over,i hope the police check out his brakes

and do him for lying to them,along with everything else,i wonder

if the police ever check out the brakes,every time its used as an

excuse,i doubt it,too much trouble for them.

RIP the Italians, good job they weren't Chinese.

regards worgeordie

There is only one thing the police will be checking or should I say counting, but you and I both know that.

41 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez.

RIP to the young couple.

Two hopes of that mate.

Bob Hope and No hope.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:59 AM, Old Croc said:

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

At least to a certain percentage the scooter is to blame. He should have stopped to let the tanker pass, because he was the one to make a right turn and the tanker had the right of way. This accident was avoidable.

The tanker was merging from the side street; the motorbike was already driving on the main road.   

Who did you say had the right of way again? 

I feel deeply sorry for the Italian couple, it’s obviously christal clear that this country is extremely dangerous no matter which way you look at it. Thai people are absolutely inept as far as driving whether on the roads and in sea ☹️ 

The brake failure seems only to convince the cops whom do nothing to prevent these accidents and needless to say are always biased on protecting their own people no matter the crime.. Thai people should not be allowed anywhere near a vehicle with an engine, saying they’re hopeless is an understatement !

Shame on you useless and criminal people !

I see these tankers almost weekly, sometimes a small convoy of the things, round by me. I always pull over and let them pass as the way they drive with such hazardous material is shocking. Oil tanker spillages seem to be a tri-monthly event here but unfortunately this one ended worse than others.

44 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

I feel deeply sorry for the Italian couple, it’s obviously christal clear that this country is extremely dangerous no matter which way you look at it. Thai people are absolutely inept as far as driving whether on the roads and in sea ☹️ 

The brake failure seems only to convince the cops whom do nothing to prevent these accidents and needless to say are always biased on protecting their own people no matter the crime.. Thai people should not be allowed anywhere near a vehicle with an engine, saying they’re hopeless is an understatement !

Shame on you useless and criminal people !

I hear you, but if this were true, wouldn't you see the same problem with Thai run airlines? The real problem lies with the government agencies responsible for road and marine safety.

There is lax enforcement of safety rules, and I suspect that the entire system from driver training and licencing, vehicle and vessel inspections, and accountability for accidents is riddled with corruption and incompetence.

If Big Joke were put in charge of road and marine safety, and told to stop chasing after retirees like they were criminals, Thailand might actually "move forward" for a change.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

Terrifying.

I used to ride my moped around Bangkok, I eventually got too nervous around the buses/trucks, who quite frankly appear to be the worst drivers whilst also being in possession of the most lethal vehicles.

I switched to my car for journeys around town and just use the bike around my local side-sois now.

We often consider the number of bikes as being a driver for Thai road fatalities, I believe the various poorly driven and maintained trucks/minivans/buses etc cause a huge load of issues as well. 

RIP to the two unfortunate victims.

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

The tanker was merging from the side street; the motorbike was already driving on the main road.   

Who did you say had the right of way again? 

To me it looked like both are riding on then main road, the tanker doing a left turn and the motorbike doing a right turn.  So the motorbike should have waited for the truck to make his turn in the smaller road and follow then. But I might have bad eyes or misinterpreted the video. Anyway, my post was based on what I have seen on CCTV.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

the brakes didn’t work properly causing him to lose control

It's about time somebody checked the breaks on every vehicle in Thailand. It seems to be the cause of most accidents here - it makes my blood boil! 

RIP 

Archived