Retirement visa photos

Starting about 2 years ago or maybe 3 Chiang Mai immigration said all retirement visa photos must have a blue background . Being a skeptic I assumed this was because many people had extra passport photos in their wallet with white backgrounds and they weren't selling enough photos. I am curious 

if this blue background is necessary in other districts. Thankspassphoto.jpg.52181c7b36a979e4efb5d763b7814a2e.jpg

I don't know if the prices have gone up or not but it was extremely cheap (around 100 baht for 6 pics) around 2011-2013 at CW. For my O-A visa, the two pics cost me $15 in Walmart. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

Heck, only for my last extension at  CW (Bangkok) immigration did I finally get around to getting some updated photos....photos I had been using "with white background" were 9 years old....thought I would just get some new ones for the heck of it and the new ones have a white background also.  But I don't think CW really cares much about the photo that pasted onto your paper application as they have been taking digital color photos of you during application processing.....they get a fresh photo of your each year that's stored with your digital record.   

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

My IO (Prachinburi) does not care. Any photo of right size is Ok.

Which is 4cm x 6cm. All my surplus pictures are from a passport renewal, which for Yanks require 2in x 2in photos.

At Jomtien they just ask for "passport photos" (standard white background). I've given them 2x2 (inch) and 2x3 (inch) and they've never made a fuss about it. I usually get 10 photos done at a time so I'm covered for a couple years of Extensions, Re-entry Permits and Certificates of Residence.

(I usually scan one of the pics and add it to my folder of "personal pics". Kind of a hoot to look back to my first passport pic (1984) and see the changes over the years.)

• Like 1

I must be ageing quickly, as I once was asked to bring up-to-date photo next time.

(Khon Kaen)

Nothing about blue background.

I also do "selfies" and then crop/resize the best to 4*6 cm.

Put four on a 4*6 inch(!) file and let that print at a Fuji shop.

3 Baht per print.

(to make it look better I do bring some other photos to print :biggrin:)

I’ve just had mine done for my visa extension.

The photographer gave me a choice of blue or white background. I asked which one he recommended and he said that blue was the norm, so I went for that. 

Sizewise I was told by the IO that they should be 4 by 6cms, the same size as the shape where you stick them on the form, and they had to have been taken less than 6 months before submission, although lord knows how they check this.

They we’re happily accepted at Immigration, just hope I can say the same for my extension in a couple of weeks ????

Edited by Mukdahanman

19 hours ago, PETDCAT said:

sounds like the blue background may only be in Chiang Mai

I have never used a blue background in Chiang Mai and have never been told to do so. The last extension I did was in January for my Mother.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, Pib said:

Heck, only for my last extension at  CW (Bangkok) immigration did I finally get around to getting some updated photos....photos I had been using "with white background" were 9 years old....thought I would just get some new ones for the heck of it and the new ones have a white background also.  But I don't think CW really cares much about the photo that pasted onto your paper application as they have been taking digital color photos of you during application processing.....they get a fresh photo of your each year that's stored with your digital record.   

but CW care, that you not use the same picture as last year. But the rest they are quit easy.

I went to CM office to get a residency certificate today.

The IO asked for 4.5x6.0 cm photo.

I took a set of 4 (by copy/photo shop opposite of immigration office, ฿100 for 4 lousy photos taken by phone camera ????) that had “blue” background. 

Till next time. 

Edited by The Theory

On 3/3/2019 at 8:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

Two by 2 inch photos are close enough to use.

At home I attached the wrong size to my visa app. The Thai intake guy was dismayed but asked the farang who is in the process window if it was OK. He said "yes" but weakly. haha  I was sure to have the correct size next time.

I went to a local photographer in Pattaya to get some photos for immigration. I forgot the size I needed. He showed me 6 possibilities. I chose wrong. But when I went back to him I was wearing a collared polo. I thought that would sit better with immigration than a T-shirt.

23 hours ago, HampiK said:

but CW care, that you not use the same picture as last year. But the rest they are quit easy.

Not in my case. Used leftover pics for past 2 consecutive extensions at CW. Not a word mentioned about using the same photo. :thumbsup: