Money lender offers paralyzed man 1,000 baht after power pole accident

webfact

Money lender offers paralyzed man 1,000 baht after power pole accident

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Khon Kaen woman went to the media for justice after a male relative fell off a power pole doing repairs. 

She said the police have done nothing and she complained about a callous money lender whose actions have led to nothing but problems. 

Pichaiyuth, 40, will be bed ridden for the rest of his life after breaking vertebrae in his neck. He can't even breathe by himself. He has been in hospital for a month already.

His relative Thanom, 59, said that he had borrowed 4,000 baht from a man and wanted help in extending an electrical power pole as he couldn't do the work himself. 

The money lender - an investor in the same neighborhood - imposed on Pichaiyuth to do the work himself as he owed him money. This disagreement went on since the start of January.

Eventually Pichaiyuth reluctantly agreed and after several neighbors refused to go up the pole he took it on himself to make the repairs. 

A sling broke sending Thanom crashing to the ground. 

The money lender refused to pay the hospital bills. 

But he said that he would give him 5,000 baht to help out - minus the 4,000 he was owed so he handed over 1,000 baht. 

After police in the Nong Song Hong district failed to resolve the issue the family have gone to Sanook for action. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-04

Woman says police will not do anything, sorry what does she expect the police to do?

Pitchaiyuth went up the pole himself, no proper body harness, a sling broke, probably an old bit of rope that had been lying around for years.

Tragic for him now paralyzed, but stupidity/ negligence caused the accident, not the money lender.

Nothing to do with the money lender as far as I am concerned. The guy shouldn't have gone up the pole but he did the job to partially pay off a debt. He should not have been doing the job as he didn't have effective safety equipment. It was his personal responsibility to take proper safety precautions. 

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

Nothing to do with the money lender as far as I am concerned. The guy shouldn't have gone up the pole but he did the job to partially pay off a debt. He should not have been doing the job as he didn't have effective safety equipment. It was his personal responsibility to take proper safety precautions. 

Saw two contractors( by the sign on their vehicle) up power pole, no harness, no hard hats, shoddy footwear, bamboo ladder.

These are professionals??

No safety standards apply here

i dont expect this country keeps any records of safety issues (accidents) when i lived at Phra Khanong, i would see hundreds of site workers coming on site with the obligatory flip flops on i did wonder at the time what would be the statistic for foot trauma accidents. (ex health and safety officer).

On 3/4/2019 at 1:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

Rather typical of Thai safety standards. Why don't they call out this money lender by name? Sounds like he is the one who needs to be shamed here.

Probably because of Thailand's 'stupid' law about getting sued in court for 'defamation'.........

Archived