Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No need to be specific. I really don't get your trip. You've been clear that because of your age you have rejected expatriation to Latin America. To me that sounds like an excellent decision for you. For many others living there now and potentially moving there the draw is largely a better quality of life than the home country. So you're trying to convince everyone that is not you to repatriate just because your situation favors repatriating?

Why????

I'm certainly not selling the idea that Latin America is the best choice for all

You and others please focus on the details about the Latin American choices. If the Latin American choices don't interest you and you have already rejected them this thread is really not for you.

Seems basic common sense.

I'll tell you another thing. If I get to the point where I lose any interest in expatriation to Latin America I'll naturally stop posting about it. It truly boggles the mind that the majority of posts here are from people with no interest in the actual topic. People complain that the topic is already too long. Well yeah sure because it's mostly noise from people with no interest in the topic.

I'm hoping for better here. One post a month that is actually on point is better than 1000 that aren't.

Note: My personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS.

What truly boggles the mind is that you reply to your own posts.

I don't think people are complaining about the length of the thread just laughing at the way you're trying to control it and tell people what they can and cannot comment.

Note: Your personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS ( minus 1 day )

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I do....

What's the Latin American equivalent of 'Cheap Charlie' called ( in Spanish pls )?

Thank you.

Per your request and since you are so polite, we dispatched a crack team of international investigators to Latin American and discovered none other than a Mexican shop Cheap Charlies El Baratero in Mazatlan,

image.jpeg.1d34ef61dd9f298ed7ae284873459457.jpeg

Meanwhile a quick google forensics analysis shows that the word stingy can be said a few different ways depending on the country your in. In México "tacaño" or codo,  In Spain: Tacaño, cutre o agarrado, In Chile: apretado.  (tight), Others mezquino.

The bad news is that this may throw the OP's departure date back by another 2-3 years as he has a couple of extra words to master.  Most other people can learn Spanish in a few months. It's one of the world's easiest languages.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

ECONOMICS being the strongest motivation.

So with cheapster lifestyle being the top of your priorities, why have you ruled out Africa.  Some great places and beaches there on a shoestring like Senegal, Morocco, and others.  Or your could go full Colonel Kurtz, or Bogart's River queen and command a river boat into the heart of the continent where costs are a pittance.  Then there are other real cheap places, like Bangladesh or Bihar India....why the fixation with Latin America.  Don't spit the dummy on us and throw your usual tantrum, just asking...

1 minute ago, grifbel said:

So with cheapster lifestyle being the top of your priorities, why have you ruled out Africa.  Some great places and beaches there on a shoestring like Senegal, Morocco, and others.  Or your could go full Colonel Kurtz, or Bogart's River queen and command a river boat into the heart of the continent where costs are a pittance.  Then there are other real cheap places, like Bangladesh or Bihar India....why the fixation with Latin America.  Don't spit the dummy on us and throw your usual tantrum, just asking...

Ethnic blending ????????????????

• Like 1

Let me get this straight.  You haggle over 10 baht fares for the baht bus, and now you are considering become part of the elite???

Okayyyyyyyyyyy........
The baht bus fare is 10 baht. No need to haggle. No need to double pay or tip.

An elite card may be used as an expensive way to avoid the regular visa system here. Buying one does not literally make a person an elite person.

My obvious point was that buying an Elite card would indicate a commitment to staying in Thailand for at least five years. That would indeed be contrary to an interest in moving anywhere else.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Per your request and since you are so polite, we dispatched a crack team of international investigators to Latin American and discovered none other than a Mexican shop Cheap Charlies El Baratero in Mazatlan,

image.jpeg.1d34ef61dd9f298ed7ae284873459457.jpeg&key=fa50affcfaa98bdddd5225568b98faf40e2e0feb1c4c339ff9ba77e5a81fd604

Meanwhile a quick google forensics analysis shows that the word stingy can be said a few different ways depending on the country your in. In México "tacaño" or codo,  In Spain: Tacaño, cutre o agarrado, In Chile: apretado.  (tight), Others mezquino.

The bad news is that this may throw the OP's departure date back by another 2-3 years as he has a couple of extra words to master.  Most other people can learn Spanish in a few months. It's one of the world's easiest languages.

As you well know I never said my personal time frame was only about time to learn Spanish. Keep in mind the topic is about expatriation to Latin America. The topic is not me.

About Spanish happily it is an easier language for English speakers. So many of the words are similar to English. The elementary basics like greetings can be picked up quickly. But then past that and it gets harder.

What truly boggles the mind is that you reply to your own posts.

I don't think people are complaining about the length of the thread just laughing at the way you're trying to control it and tell people what they can and cannot comment.

Note: Your personal time frame for a possible move to Latin America is 2 to 3 YEARS ( minus 1 day )
No need to complain. If the topic doesn't interest you (Latin America) you may

Not read the thread

Not post to the thread

Start a new thread about a topic you do want to talk about

• Like 1

Fantastic work.

I'm sure the OP would like to visit this place, hold on........he's never going to go though.

Nonetheless he could perhaps spend hours / days / weeks / months researching it and starting threads about it and telling people what they are and are not allowed to comment.
I've been to Mexico several times.
I've been to Mazatlan which was referenced.
I've been to Spain several times. Not Latin America.

More buying power abroad for a better quality of life than they could afford back home is what motivates most retired expats. That's a fact.

This topic is limited to options in Latin America and most of those options can fulfill that aspiration.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No need to complain. If the topic doesn't interest you (Latin America) you may

Not read the thread

Not post to the thread

Start a new thread about a topic you do want to talk about

I'm not complaining

I enjoy reading this, it amuses me

I like posting, i have valuable input

I'm currently researching about a thread i will begin, you'll be allowed to comment, don't worry

Edited by JaiLai

“Carlos miserável “ would be a cheap Charlie in Brazil .
Also, “ mão apertado “ ( tight fisted ) or just “ apertado “ ( tight ).

But most commonly used is this one “ pão duro “ ( hard bread ) ??

Sorry for the off topic .
In much of Latin America retired expats on a budget are usually much wealthier than a typical local so I doubt many are regarded as particularly cheap. Probably more often they are seen as marks that can Gringo priced and won't be fluent or skilled enough to negotiate prices as well as locals. That's why there is such a market for expat helper services. So that expats can have any hope of getting a fair local price. No sugar coating from me.

In much of Latin America retired expats on a budget are usually much wealthier than a typical local so I doubt many are regarded as particularly cheap. Probably more often they are seen as marks that can Gringo priced and won't be fluent or skilled enough to negotiate prices as well as locals. That's why there is such a market for expat helper services. So that expats can have any hope of getting a fair local price. No sugar coating from me.

I was only referring to the terms used for a cheap Charlie in Brazil, these terms are always used as a reference to locals and not to foreigners who are mostly assumed to be rich .
I was referred to as “ Gringo rico “ many times there which was comical as I am not rich and not strictly a gringo !! and never heard of any foreigners being deemed to be poor or even tight !
On the contrary Gringo Rico is only the perception of the less well off locals as the rich in Brazil ( and there are plenty of them ) know the real score .
Retired expats in LA are neither rich nor poor .

Anyhoo, back on topic.
  • Like 2

Local Latin American color like that adds value to the thread. Thank you.

It's kind of a rule of thumb if you're seeking a better quality of life abroad that you want your wealth and/or income to be well above the level of the typical local.

Of course there are always some filthy rich locals. Bless their dear hearts.

This brings up a mystery to me about Queretaro Mexico. I'm getting conflicting info on the wealth level there. Some information indicates that it's actually higher than my level. If that's really true then I couldn't afford it. As most people realize most foreigners coming in tend to need to overpay for lots of things and don't have the benefit of a local support family network.

So that's a degree of a built in economic handicap. So if typical locals are at your level or higher then you're basically screwed and objectively poor even in the local context. Poor and assumed rich. That is not at all good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Be specific.  I was looking at Madison Wisconsin $1000 will take care of my housing needs and the VA hospital there is one of the best.  I'm paying $700 per month now in rent.  Food is cheaper in USA as is my one glass of wine a day.  Florida $500 per month rent (friends).  Little Rock 6 or 7 hundred.  I've lived in the South most of my life and rents are cheap in many places.  North has better health care but rents are higher - studio apts or rent share are not bad.  Many places Florida have enough mass transit and living downtown cheap places can be found not nice but rustic.  Room in a house with a pool $7 to 800. 

Half of all Americans age 65 or older have incomes of less than $24,224 a year – far less than the amount that most need to meet their day-to-day living and health care expenses.”

Why is this number so much lower?

The $24,224 number is for all individuals above 65 — not household.

https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/average-retirement-income/

It is also the highest networth group. It makes sense their income would be down as they are most likely retired from work. But it als makes sense that their home will already be paid for and their medical expenses, for the most part are being provided for.

19 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It is also the highest networth group. It makes sense their income would be down as they are most likely retired from work. But it als makes sense that their home will already be paid for and their medical expenses, for the most part are being provided for.

To make it Latin America centric topic.  How much more would you need to retire in Latin America than your home country?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

To make it Latin America centric topic.  How much more would you need to retire in Latin America than your home country?

I can answer that.

To retire in LATAM I figure my monthly spend would be 3.75638% less than my spend in Thailand and 11.32822% less than my home country.

Hope that helps ????

What blows the budget is the private security guards for the compound and bullet proof glass for the car.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

People can compare cost of living levels between city pairs on these websites.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Of course, there is no one answer. Instead, each person has their individual situation depending on a number of personal factors.

There is no one size fits all for these decisions.

There is no right and wrong choice for all or most people.

For some moving to Medellin may be a Godsend affording them any kind of retirement at all and for others staying in their paid off home in the suburbs of St. Louis may be their happy place. 

A significant percentage of Americans over age 65 do not have paid off homes and in my opinion people that have been living in Thailand for 10 or 20 years are much less likely than the stay at homes to have a paid up mortgage.

Yes housing costs and medical care are the biggest ticket concerns for most.

However, as I've said before speaking to Americans, Medicare is not free. The typical retiree on Medicare pays about 150K USD lifetime out of pocket on medical expenses during their later years. Arguably that number would usually be less living in a lower cost nation and paying retail for everything. 

Every person considering expatriation, repatriating, or staying in Thailand needs to do a personal evaluation based on their own factors and finances.

In my case, just one case, I have a paid off condo in Thailand. So "free rent" in Thailand as long as I keep it and stay in Thailand. If I sold it and exported the money I could afford to buy for cash a decent condo in Armenia Colombia for example (Medellin would be somewhat more expensive) in a country with an unusually attractive currency exchange situation vs. the dollar. (Or not buy and rent a similar attractive unit for under 400 dollars a month.) This condo or rental would be in one of the best neighborhoods of the city, within walking distance to most everything, near cheap clean public transport, or 2 or 3 dollar Uber or taxi rides across town.  With the same money in the USA I could buy in a garbage condo with massive HOA fees and/or a small older house in some backwater in a location that would almost definitely require a car. Not needing to run a car represents massive savings. Or pay for rent for a slummy dump in a dodgy neighborhood that would cost most of my Social Security check if I could find a landlord willing to rent to someone like me that has no rental record in decades (same as no record). A very big if.

More quality of life pluses -- abroad I could afford household help, cleaning, personal care if needed, going out to eat even everyday. In the U.S. spending much more than my income on just housing and transport alone -- POVERTY. 

YOUR situation will be YOUR situation. People -- do not even TRY to generalize this for all people. It is simply not possible to do so and say anything useful. 

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You replied to one person.

Did you mean only to ask one person?

Because it's a good question for all people considering this to ask themselves based on their own specific personal factors.

Of course, even then, it will be a lot of guessing. 

On 4/21/2019 at 6:48 AM, JaiLai said:

LOL.  Perhaps we could get a digital nomad reading this high drama thread to embed a countdown clock in the corner of this thread. We are now at day 1093 (didnt check for leap year mind)....almost like an apocalyptic doomsday countdown to an event that will never happen????

On 4/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, seasia said:

Whilst searching around for on line info on Colombia ( Medellin specifically ) I came across the following youtube clip.

Whilst you were whilsting, the video you posted is actually quite funny.  The 2 lasses with the large toot yai cabooses, are seen accosting a tourist, before they are intercepted by a police officer who interrogates them.  Great tourist promotional video.........not!

Edited by grifbel

Meanwhile in other news, one of the OP's highly recommended places  Veracruz one of Mexico's most dangerous places, shows up in the news again.  13 killed at weddinghttps://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/20/americas/mexico-family-party-shooting/index.html You just cant make this stuff up!

Veracruz is a city and a state. I never explicitly recommended Veracruz city or the rest of the state. I did post some positive information and a video about Xalapa which is an inland college town in the state. It did look interesting but I have already rejected it personally based on other factors but no doubt the continuing situation with cartel violence is a strong negative aspect as well.   

That recent incident BTW was not in Xalapa.

As far as locations. These are personal decisions. Everyone has their own wants, needs, priorities, and limitations.

People also have different risk tolerances. I reckon some expats are moving to Veracruz city right now. Just an example. Not a suggestion.

Latino culture... yuck.
Well the national cultures are not the same but I understand not loving everything about these cultures. I certainly don't. I also certainly don't love everything about Thai culture or the culture of my home country. Yes we do have a culture.

I guess we can add level of loving or hating the local culture to the list of factors in making a destination decision. Put it up there with weather?