Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I did look into it a lot. I am qualified for their visa and it's an exceptionally good retirement visa program. However, I would want to live in Panama City if I lived there and that's too expensive. Looking into the places there that I could afford, David and Boquette, I've decided I just don't find either place appealing enough. Also the weather in both Panama City and David would be hot hot hot, especially David. I assume Panamanian food is similarly boring as Costa Rican food (which I've tried and didn't like) but Panama City would offer lots of international options including a large Chinese population. Another case where visa requirement levels and actual costs of places that you actually might want to live at are not the same at all.

Hey, these are my personal impressions.

You might like hot and humid weather and can afford Panama City.

You might like being in an expat overrun backwater with lovely scenery and weather  like Boquette. 

One size does NOT fit all! 

Are you saying Panama city its climate is more hot that in Thailand? I am unaware about that.

For me personally if thinking about South America my top 3 would be.

Panama Argentina Brazil..

Edited by Destiny1990

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Are you saying Panama city its climate is more hot that in Thailand? I am unaware about that.

Thailand climate varies by region in Thailand.

Panama City is a very hot and humid city. It's not a beach city. There is a beach city fairly close to Panama City that's popular with expats and reportedly is very similar to being in Florida. Neither place is cheap especially for housing. 

The more affordable city of David is exceptionally hot and also not on the beach. 

Climate is a high priority for me and the year round "spring-like" weather places particularly appeal to me. In South America those are high altitude places.

As you're interested in Panama, Brazil, and Argentina (and I'm not) perhaps you'd like to do your own research and post about those countries here.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand climate varies by region in Thailand.

Panama City is a very hot and humid city. It's not a beach city. There is a beach city fairly close to Panama City that's popular with expats and reportedly is very similar to being in Florida. Neither place is cheap especially for housing. 

The more affordable city of David is exceptionally hot and also not on the beach. 

Climate is a high priority for me and the year round "spring-like" weather places particularly appeal to me. In South America those are high altitude places.

As you're interested in Panama, Brazil, and Argentina (and I'm not) perhaps you'd like to do your own research and post about those countries here.

Well i always interested in other destinations and since you said it has to be Countries in South America I mentioned my top 3 there but if you only want to talk about Countries in SA that you’re keen on in particular than that is fine too.

I likely will relocate to Vietnam as its a bit cooler than Thailand and easy Visa renewals.

I personally don't need any citizenship procedure just easy visa pay and stay is what I’m after.. We all have different wishes..

would u know that City name near Panama with the Florida climate?????

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well i always interested in other destinations and since you said it has to be Countries in South America I mentioned my top 3 there but if you only want to talk about Countries in SA that you’re keen on in particular than that is fine too.

I likely will relocate to Vietnam as its a bit cooler than Thailand and easy Visa renewals.

I personally don't need any citizenship procedure just easy visa pay and stay is what I’m after.. We all have different wishes.. 

would u know that City name near Panama with the Florida climate?????

Coronado.

https://vivatropical.com/panama/coronado/

As far as a pay and stay all year option in Latin America, that's not my focus. I do know that's not possible to do year round in Colombia year after year (although there is a trick to stay about a year) and even Mexico is cracking down on that. My interest is a place to live, not a perpetual visa run. If people want to research their findings on such options in Latin America (similar to what's possible now in Vietnam), they are very welcome to do so and post about that here. 

To add, I think there still are some perpetual visa run options in some countries in Latin America. But I also think the general trend is to crack down on that so it's important when researching that to get VERY CURRENT information.

Also for people that want to work, invest, open businesses, etc. there are other options in many of the countries. As in Thailand teaching English is popular. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Wrong. Keeping in with the local cartels is the safest option and they’ll text you in advance if something’s going down.

Wouldn’t want to be found tied to a plastic chair on a roundabout in mysterious circumstances when all it takes is a quick call.

Keep in with the locals is what I say.

You are talking out your ass.  I have been there, done that and the cartel was killed off, now there are many rivals fighting for the same area.  If they think you are friends with the old cartel, they will kill u too.

Its best to not talk to the cartels or drug pushers much.  It will implode soon.

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Good pick up and thank you for exposing yet more fake news on this thread. 

Panama City is in fact much cooler than most of the areas where vast majority of expats stay in Thailand, such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phuket.  And yes, I provide back up data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_City

The average low throughout the entire year is 18.5-21.3 degrees

Edited by grifbel

Good pick up and thank you for exposing yet more fake news on this thread. 

Panama City is in fact much cooler than most of the areas where vast majority of expats stay in Thailand, such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Phuket.  And yes, I provide back up data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_City

The average low throughout the entire year is 18.5-21.3 degrees

You need to factor in humidity. Panama City is very humid. It's an unpleasant climate there and that's a fact. Also it's not directly on a beach. If climate is a priority there are much better options in Latin America. For examples Cartagena also hot and humid but on the beach and Medellin or Queretaro year round milder weather but not on the beach.

Climate is one factor. People have different priorities. Personally for me a hot and humid place not on the beach is undesirable especially when it's expensive as Panama City is.

I'll ignore your fake news flame. This isn't an official news organ. It's a discussion forum.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi

I was curious as to which Latin American country might be the most popular for Brit  born expats.

I would have guessed at Mexico, appears I am wrong, seems to be Brazil.

Information and numbers hard to find though.

I recall reading on this thread that about  1 million Americans live in Mexico, assuming that is right does it make Mexico the No.1 choice for US citizens ?

Anyway came across a website that gives a view on their top 5 picks in South America.

It is aimed at Brits, still might be of interest to others.

I am not actually that keen on the website, think there are some errors in their costings.

I do think they cover the safety/danger aspect very well though. It is towards the end of the linked page.

Perhaps worth a glance.

https://britishexpatguide.co.uk/best-countries-for-living-in-south-america/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

You are talking out your ass.  I have been there, done that and the cartel was killed off, now there are many rivals fighting for the same area.  If they think you are friends with the old cartel, they will kill u too.

Its best to not talk to the cartels or drug pushers much.  It will implode soon.

You did the "tied to the plastic chair" thing.....yeah right!

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also it's not directly on a beach.

Fake news.  It is a coastal city directly on the Gulf of Panama.  Whether there is a beach or not is irrelevant.  In fact, the sand on a beach might actually heat up the city.  During the windiest time of the year it is around 30% windier than Bangkok, resulting in a cooling effect.

16 minutes ago, grifbel said:

Fake news.  It is a coastal city directly on the Gulf of Panama.  Whether there is a beach or not is irrelevant.  In fact, the sand on a beach might actually heat up the city.  During the windiest time of the year it is around 30% windier than Bangkok, resulting in a cooling effect.

By on the beach I meant a city with easy direct access to a SWIMMING beach in hot and humid weather. For example Rio de Janiero. 

Medellin vs. Panama City -- Climate info at 6:40

"Panama City -- HOT AND HUMID YEAR ROUND"

Case closed.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Hi

I was curious as to which Latin American country might be the most popular for Brit  born expats.

I would have guessed at Mexico, appears I am wrong, seems to be Brazil.

Information and numbers hard to find though.

I recall reading on this thread that about  1 million Americans live in Mexico, assuming that is right does it make Mexico the No.1 choice for US citizens ?

Anyway came across a website that gives a view on their top 5 picks in South America.

It is aimed at Brits, still might be of interest to others.

I am not actually that keen on the website, think there are some errors in their costings.

I do think they cover the safety/danger aspect very well though. It is towards the end of the linked page.

Perhaps worth a glance.

https://britishexpatguide.co.uk/best-countries-for-living-in-south-america/

Very nice informative link..

Florianopolis Brazil looks great and also Uruguay Montevideo However they all seem pricey places like 2500 pounds a month? That’s for a single person or family?

I still intend going there but for longterm staying financially  Spain and Vietnam and Ofcourse Thailand are way more affordable.

Florianopolis Brazil looks great and also Uruguay Montevideo However they all seem pricey places like 2500 pounds a month? That’s for a single person or family?
I still intend going there but for longterm staying financially  Spain and Vietnam and Ofcourse Thailand are way more affordable.

If you want cheaper in Latin America then look at some places in Colombia, non-Lima Peru, and Ecuador. Perhaps the lake in Guatemala. Maybe someday Nicaragua will be back.

That link is from 2016. It appears to me the focus is on working expats. I don't entirely understand why Brits would need lots of Brits around anymore than why Americans would need lots of Americans around. I'm skeptical about their picks too. Only mentioning Quito in Ecuador and not mentioning Cuenca seems odd.

I wouldn't take their pricing info literally either. There are the corporate type expense account expats that need everything the same as home and then there are those that go much more local.

• Like 2

Trujillo Peru is safe, cheap, there is nightlife, good to great food, although expect to get sick occasionally (much more often than thailand). Climate is to die for, think so cal with no palm trees. There is even an ancient ruin in the area. You have got other beach cities north and south of you to explore easily by bus. People are friendly. 

• Like 2

Trujillo Peru is safe, cheap, there is nightlife, good to great food, although expect to get sick occasionally (much more often than thailand). Climate is to die for, think so cal with no palm trees. There is even an ancient ruin in the area. You have got other beach cities north and south of you to explore easily by bus. People are friendly. 

Have you been there?

Researching Peru Arequipa seemed much better to me than Trujillo.

High level of bureaucratic hurdles to get the retirement visa there but low level financial requirements.

Permanent residence based on retirement visa.

I actually kind of like Lima specifically Lima even with the depressing weather but alas it's quite expensive compared to Arequipa and Trujillo.

Visa run living may be possible but probably not indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That link is from 2016. It appears to me the focus is on working expats. I don't entirely understand why Brits would need lots of Brits around anymore than why Americans would need lots of Americans around. I'm skeptical about their picks too. Only mentioning Quito in Ecuador and not mentioning Cuenca seems odd.

I wouldn't take their pricing info literally either. There are the corporate type expense account expats that need everything the same as home and then there are those that go much more local.

Well yes in regard with their prices indeed its sounds more for real  expats surely that we can get by for 50-60% of their calculations.

In this thread several times Colombia is getting mentioned any one been there recently?

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Have you been there?

Researching Peru Arequipa seemed much better to me than Trujillo.

High level of bureaucratic hurdles to get the retirement visa there but low level financial requirements.

Permanent residence based on retirement visa.

I actually kind of like Lima specifically Lima even with the depressing weather but alas it's quite expensive compared to Arequipa and Trujillo.

Visa run living may be possible but probably not indefinitely.

Yes of course. I think people will tend to enjoy the vibe of arequipa better. Very cool city. Idk anything about paperwork.

I would never retire to lima myself. It is not the weather, it is many other things. 

Beaches galore near trujillo. There are even beaches meant for what thais call high so people, up against rich gated neighborhoods i have been to, rich peruvian moms laying out on the beaches. You would never think you would see it up there until you do. Not picturesque beaches but nice enough. Huanchaco is cool and safe. Again, there are beaches all over up there for nightlife etc, that you could "vacation" to easily. Places like Mancora. Trips to ecuador would be easy too and they do have the picturesque, warm water beaches. 

• Like 2

You have the jungle options in peru too. Tarapoto. I would not necessarily recommend that though. I liked it but it would probably get boring fast. You are in the middle of a rainforest though so if you like nature and walks etc could be an option. Great food there! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I would never retire to lima myself. It is not the weather, it is many other things. 

Have to agree on this one.  Lima's "la garua" fog is bad enough, but the beaches in Western Lima near Miraflores are some of the ugliest, and dirtiest . 

https://perureports.com/efforts-clean-lima-sea-stifled-garbage/5693/

"Last year, Carpayo Beach in western Lima had been named the dirtiest beach in Latin America. This was also due to waste dumping, and was reported to contain 2.8 kilograms of garbage per square meter."

image.jpeg.9356e362ef18ea7497fc968c60c948ea.jpeg

The options you mentioned are better.

Edited by grifbel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will sum up Peru and let you guys back at it, I am stuck here in Thailand ????

Arequipa I would say has the best vibe and food, especially if you are a foodie. I think it could even almost rival Lima. But, if you like cheap trips on buses away from your base, you are sorta stuck out there. Bus rides away from Arequipa are not fun. 

Trujillo has a lot going for it. It is all flat so bus rides to neighboring attractions are a breeze. You can take day trips away from home and be out 6 bucks for the bus rides I mean it is awesome. Very cool city, a lot of history and very good to great food. The natural vegetation surrounding these northern cities is not pretty though. Think of a desert and take away all the plants lol, and that is what much of northern peru looks like naturally. But get a bit up north and that changes. 

I am not an expert on Lima, but last time I was there I was searching for a hotel and it was like being in California. Seriously, I think people will find the prices there for real estate etc to be much like back home. So what is the point? It is certainly one of the more dangerous cities I have been to, and I get that information from Peruvians who have had huge problems. So you can imagine being a westerner. It looks like they do not take care of their trash problem as another poster noted, but I felt the area had some very nice beaches I just did not see much. Lima would be totally off the board for me. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 2

Yeah I wasn't really recommending Lima mostly because it's too expensive and yes it is high crime. But I like Miraflores and it is one of top foodie destinations on the planet.

Arequipa is also very good for food and yes you're right very isolated.

You're probably right that Trujillo is worth checking out for those interested in Peru. Personally if I was going to deal with their nightmare retirement visa process I would probably focus on Arequipa though. I don't need many side trips.

Have to agree on this one.  Lima's "la garua" fog is bad enough, but the beaches in Western Lima near Miraflores are some of the ugliest, and dirtiest . 
https://perureports.com/efforts-clean-lima-sea-stifled-garbage/5693/
"Last year, Carpayo Beach in western Lima had been named the dirtiest beach in Latin America. This was also due to waste dumping, and was reported to contain 2.8 kilograms of garbage per square meter."
image.jpeg.9356e362ef18ea7497fc968c60c948ea.jpeg

The options you mentioned are better.
Yes the beaches in Lima are filthy. Not recommended for the beaches. I took a side trip south though to a nice beach town. It reminded me a bit of Santa Cruz California.

Anyway Panama City is on the water but it is not a beach city. One positive thing I hadn't realized is that it is not in the hurricane belt. Comparing to Florida that's a huge benefit assuming that doesn't change with global climate change.
As detailed in the video before Panama City is an excellent choice for certain types of expats.
In my opinion it isn't a good choice for retired expats trying to live on a small pension though.

Beaches NEAR Panama City. Again, Panama City Panama (unlike Panama City Florida) is NOT a beach city. Rio de Janeiro IS a beach city. If the water is dirty, OK, but the Cariocas still go to the beach regularly in droves and if nothing else, you can feast on the eye candy. Cartagena Colombia IS a beach city. Panama City Panama is a city where you can take EXCURSIONS to beaches or you could move to Coronado.  People may want to move to Panama City for a lot of good reasons, but one of those reasons is not that it is a beach city because it is not. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g294480-k4694-Panama_City_Panama_Province.html

Nueva Gorgona is the beach closest to Panama City, just one hour away on the Pacific coast. Although may not be the prettiest, it is a good choice when you want to plan a beach day but you don't want to go far.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

These gringos really like Puebla!

Safe, accessible, great food, diverse, colonial and modern, technologically advanced, a feel like Spain / France / Mexico, same same but different from Mexico City.

I'll say it again -- SAFE.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Visa and residency info about Panama for those interested.

I'm not interested mainly because in Panama City the rents are too darned high and I'm not attracted to any of alternatives outside of Panama City.

But some of you may be OK with the rents there or like the other areas.