Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Mexico is getting worse.  Cartels and Fed police are at war.  Could implode soon

Wrong. Keeping in with the local cartels is the safest option and they’ll text you in advance if something’s going down.

Wouldn’t want to be found tied to a plastic chair on a roundabout in mysterious circumstances when all it takes is a quick call.

Keep in with the locals is what I say.

Is Puebla City Mexico safe?

It seems so. 

We have been asked by many why we have not addressed the safety of Puebla, Mexico on our web site and the answer has always been very simple: Puebla is one of the safest cities in Mexico and has not been affected by the Narcoviolence. But now that the media talks as if the drug cartel killings and kidnappings happening in the border states between Mexico and the US, in the Pacific Mexican coast and in Cuernavaca, as a universal problem across Mexico, I feel compelled to address it.

https://www.sipuebla.com/safety_in_Puebla.htm

If there are any new eyes on this topic possibly in response to the recent news of health insurance requirements for Long Stay visas in Thailand, it's worth mentioning that some of the Latin American countries offer national health program buy in options based on expat retirement status that include preexisting condition coverage.

These nations include Ecuador and Colombia. 

• Like 2

Hi

I had an interesting chat earlier today with a couple of friends, discussing alternatives to Thailand for various reasons.

One of them has reasonable Latin/South America experience, has been to Brazil, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

The first 3 multiple times, the latter I assume once only and likely a long time ago.

Also speaks fluent Spanish.

Other friend, never to the region.

Columbia came up,, the experienced guy looking for flights  to there and as he is aware that I looked at route prices to there from Europe. I found some good prices. He has Cartegena top of his list.

Anyway the Brit friend who has never visited the region seemed shocked at the idea of going to/considering Columbia.

" Dodgy to go there " his comment. ( Drug cartels/murders etc.)

My friend who has been to the general region made the comment that things have changed and that if you do some research there are cities/areas that are fairly safe.

To me it just seemed an example of someone with no experience having some misconceptions based on "old news"

Personal safety has to be a consideration of course but times change.

As an example I think that crossing the road in some parts of Thailand has increased in risk.( naklua main road would be a good example )

Everything in context I feel.

• Like 1

Variation on a theme.

Outsiders perception vs. reality.

Expats in Queretaro Mexico.

One lady had lived in Colombia before but found Mexico safer.

That's interesting to me because she's in the safest Mexican city and doesn't say where she was living in Colombia. It could easier be the other way around depending on the specific locations. 

• Like 1

Latin America -- the USA's new sunbelt?

https://cuencahighlife.com/large-numbers-of-north-american-retirees-head-to-latin-america-and-more-are-on-the-way-experts-say/

She says that many are taking advantage of what she calls the “perception gap” – the idea that countries such as Colombia and Nicaragua are still thought of as countries with huge problems of drug violence even though the violence has largely been erased.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Wrong. Keeping in with the local cartels is the safest option and they’ll text you in advance if something’s going down.

Wouldn’t want to be found tied to a plastic chair on a roundabout in mysterious circumstances when all it takes is a quick call.

Keep in with the locals is what I say.

jesus christ man

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

I had an interesting chat earlier today with a couple of friends, discussing alternatives to Thailand for various reasons.

One of them has reasonable Latin/South America experience, has been to Brazil, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

The first 3 multiple times, the latter I assume once only and likely a long time ago.

Also speaks fluent Spanish.

Other friend, never to the region.

Columbia came up,, the experienced guy looking for flights  to there and as he is aware that I looked at route prices to there from Europe. I found some good prices. He has Cartegena top of his list.

Anyway the Brit friend who has never visited the region seemed shocked at the idea of going to/considering Columbia.

" Dodgy to go there " his comment. ( Drug cartels/murders etc.)

My friend who has been to the general region made the comment that things have changed and that if you do some research there are cities/areas that are fairly safe.

To me it just seemed an example of someone with no experience having some misconceptions based on "old news"

Personal safety has to be a consideration of course but times change.

As an example I think that crossing the road in some parts of Thailand has increased in risk.( naklua main road would be a good example )

Everything in context I feel.

the brit has probably never been anywhere outside of europe other than thailand.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jingthing said:

I still think it's high crime. In any case, what does it matter if you can't qualify for their visa anyway? 

I think lots of foreigners still staying in Brazil especially Fortaleza and in Rio. I’a aware of the high crime rate but i am unaware that visa requirements are more expensive then other SA Countries 

Going to Fortaleza and Natal is a matter of time for me at least going there for some months.

I think lots of foreigners still staying in Brazil especially Fortaleza and in Rio. I’a aware of the high crime rate but i am unaware that visa requirements are more expensive then other SA Countries 

Going to Fortaleza and Natal is a matter of time for me at least going there for some months.

Yes the retirement visa financial requirement are well over double that for Colombia and also it must be imported monthly.

In any case I'm not qualified for Brazil. I've been upfront that I won't personally be focusing on nations that I'm not qualified for but welcome others that are to post as much as they want here on such choices.

Also it so happens that I wouldn't be interested in Brazil even if I was qualified. I wish I was qualified for Uruguay though as that place definitely appeals to me.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the retirement visa financial requirement are well over double that for Colombia and also it must be imported monthly.

In any case I'm not qualified for Brazil. I've been upfront that I won't personally be focusing on nations that I'm not qualified for but welcome others that are to post as much as they want here on such choices.

Also it so happens that I wouldn't be interested in Brazil even if I was qualified. I wish I was qualified for Uruguay though as that place definitely appeals to me.

Why you want to go for retirement visa right away?

If i’am interested in a place i just go on a simple tourist visa and hangout for a long while.

I confident once inside Brazil there are lot of legal options that can let you stay there long term.

Lots of law firms and agents there. I think same tactics can be used for Uruguay.

Edited by Destiny1990

Why you want to go for retirement visa right away?

If i’am interested in a place i just go on a simple tourist visa and hangout for a long while.

I confident once inside Brazil there are lot of legal options that can let you stay there long term.

Lots of law firms and agents there. I think same tactics can be used for Uruguay.

I'm just not interested in Brazil. Lots of reasons. I've only been to Rio but that was enough. Their new fascist leader is the icing on the cake. As an older person I'm looking for retirement status leading to permanent residence or citizenship. Partly as a reaction to the residence insecurity in Thailand. We all have different priorities. Cheers.

• Like 2

I was born in Latin America....Miami, Florida.. very large Carribean and South American populations.. my old hood is mostly Venezuelan, nowadays.  I heard it was a shorter flight to Bogata than New York.  But, I would lean towards Northern Mexico than Central or South America.  A lot of Spanish blood, and they are more attractive than the indigenous.  Argentina is interesting.. Lots of euro influence, too, and great beef.. just don't see many great reports about it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

I was born in Latin America....Miami, Florida.. very large Carribean and South American populations.. my old hood is mostly Venezuelan, nowadays.  I heard it was a shorter flight to Bogata than New York.  But, I would lean towards Northern Mexico than Central or South America.  A lot of Spanish blood, and they are more attractive than the indigenous.  Argentina is interesting.. Lots of euro influence, too, and great beef.. just don't see many great reports about it.  

Thanks for joining this thread.

I noticed your post on another thread and I have some questions about it.

Coincidentally I am most interested in Mexico and Colombia.

Inland Mexico and the coffee region in Colombia but possibly Medellin as well. 

What was the place in Mexico that you previously rejected because of crime/safety concerns?

As has been discussed a lot on this thread, it's well known and true that Mexico in general has serious problems, but there are some specific locations that are reportedly much better, much safer. I've identified some of those places specifically as the inland colonial large middle class cities of Queretaro (especially) and also the city of Puebla. 

About Armenia Colombia I see you have a contact there.

You said he finds the rents high. That's a little surprising to me as I'm hearing differently from various sources including sites like numbeo.

Expensive relative to what? Thailand? Expensive relative to low teacher's pay there? It's probably asking too much to hear specifics about size, cost, and location in Armenia.

I do know that apartments rented on the "gringo market" and furnished places are often inflated in Colombia and it can take a long time to get hooked into the more local market (and also to really save money you need to rent unfurnished). 

Things not working? I've heard some hints about that, specifically about the banks not being up to speed on international issues. But being banking I haven't heard of any exceptional issues with inefficiency there except the stereotypical Latin American thing of people often not showing up when they say they will. Any more juicy details to offer? 

Edited by Jingthing

A little bit of a Thai perspective on the issues of RENTING housing in parts of Latin America. A cosigner may be required. Except in rare cases (such as having land owning family there) a new expat is not going to have a cosigner and maybe you still won't have one after 20 years there. So what to do? Try to contact owners directly as agencies are more hard core. Try to negotiate a DEPOSIT in lieu of a cosigner whether dealing directly or through an agency. I've read many expats totally freaking out at the idea of putting down a six months deposit. As if that is a total deal breaker. I can't relate! Understandably they try to negotiate that down to two or three months but that won't always work. Here's my perspective from being an expat in Thailand. I'm staying in Thailand based on the 800K bank method where the 800K needs to be in there for about half the year and at least 400K needs to be in there for the rest of the year. That's a pretty large deposit!

Let's break it down. Suppose your rent in Colombia for example is 450 USD monthly which would be (according to my info) high for Armenia and low for Medellin or Cartegena. 

450 x 6 is 2700 USD or about 85,000 baht.

800K baht is about 25,000 USD

Half that is about 12,500 USD

Now these aren't equivalent things. The 800K baht is your money although there is some risk in repatriating it if desired. A six month deposit is also still your money, but if you get an evil landlord you risk never getting it back. 

But still it's a way that I would look at it from the perspective of living in Thailand which is why I don't see a six month rent deposit as very much of a barrier at all. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I renewed my retirement visa last week. went with my agent to IO gave her 25 k she handed over a portion to IO official...picked up my passport a few hours later. What changes? 

The focus here is on the Latin American options. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, they might. There is another thread covering that region. This thread is ONLY about Latin American options. 

What draws you towards Uraguay? Did you look into Panama i read its one of the most popular destinations for foreign retirees in SA.

Edited by Destiny1990

17 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I renewed my retirement visa last week. went with my agent to IO gave her 25 k she handed over a portion to IO official...picked up my passport a few hours later. What changes? 

Better ask that to your agent.

16 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

What draws you towards Uraguay?

A one day visit to Colonia.

I assume I would like Montevideo (though it ain't cheap).

Similarity to Argentina but not Argentina which I think is a good thing. 

Their earlier stage forward thinking on things like legal weed and gay marriage.

My impression that they treat aspiring residents with respect.

They have a good immigration system. You can stay immediately and then you go through a long process for the application. It seems reasonable and civilized which is how I view the culture there.

Great beaches. 

Good cheap wine.

Anthony Bourdain's segment.

Welcome to the tiny, overlooked but enchanted land of Uruguay, one of my favorite places to visit and easily one of the top underappreciated travel destinations on earth. It has beautiful beaches, breathtaking countryside, and a capital that evokes old Havana or Buenos Aires—but without the crowds.

It is, however, no country for vegetarians.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/uruguay/bourdains-field-notes-uruguay/

Anyway, I'm not qualified but think others may want to have a look. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A one day visit to Colonia.

I assume I would like Montevideo (though it ain't cheap).

Similarity to Argentina but not Argentina which I think is a good thing. 

Their earlier stage forward thinking on things like legal weed and gay marriage.

My impression that they treat aspiring residents with respect.

They have a good immigration system. You can stay immediately and then you go through a long process for the application. It seems reasonable and civilized which is how I view the culture there.

Great beaches. 

Good cheap wine.

Anthony Bourdain's segment.

Anyway, I'm not qualified but think others may want to have a look. 

Okey i see that’s about Uruguay and did u look into Panama?

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Okey i see that’s about Uruguay and did u look into Panama?

I did look into it a lot. I am qualified for their visa and it's an exceptionally good retirement visa program. However, I would want to live in Panama City if I lived there and that's too expensive. Looking into the places there that I could afford, David and Boquette, I've decided I just don't find either place appealing enough. Also the weather in both Panama City and David would be hot hot hot, especially David. I assume Panamanian food is similarly boring as Costa Rican food (which I've tried and didn't like) but Panama City would offer lots of international options including a large Chinese population. Another case where visa requirement levels and actual costs of places that you actually might want to live at are not the same at all.

Hey, these are my personal impressions.

You might like hot and humid weather and can afford Panama City.

You might like being in an expat overrun backwater with lovely scenery and weather  like Boquette. 

One size does NOT fit all! 

Edited by Jingthing

I want to add that Uruguay's financial requirements are not very high and I think most people reading this thread can probably qualify. They don't have a bank method there. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat under their level. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

people might like to consider Cyprus. ..cheap warm and easy.

You are quite probably right.

JT wishes to limit discussion to Latin America,I get that and  try to respect that.

Colombia and perhaps Mexico hold some appeal to me.

As does southern Europe. SEA less so and already have plans to spend less time here, after having lived here for 10 years and visited for another 10 years.

I started a topic on Europe, pls. feel free to add to it, would be of interest

Thanks

Edited by seasia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1