Proof of residency at Immigration

Need a proof of residency to renew my 5 year Thai Drivers license.  They told me to go to my embassy to get it.  Can I get it from Chaeng Wattana immigration instead?  Will this be be accepted?  If so, what are the required docs, fees and forms?  

Regards

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get one at Chaeng Wattana immigration if you are doing 90 day reports to them.

It takes about 3 weeks to get one sent to you by EMS after you a pay a 200 baht fee.

So If I haven't done a 90 day report yet on my current visa, I can't get a residency certifcate?

4 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

Embassy it is, then.  Thanks!

Please don't kill me.  One more question.  My Drivers license expires in a month.  Can it be renewed after expiration date?  I don't drive, just want to keep the license.  I can't make a 90 day report until after the license expires.

7 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

Please don't kill me.  One more question.  My Drivers license expires in a month.  Can it be renewed after expiration date?  I don't drive, just want to keep the license.  I can't make a 90 day report until after the license expires.

Yes. Up to 1 year after expiring date.

5 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

you can so no panic, best to wait just after your next birthday

28 minutes ago, soitgoes769 said:

I renewed my 5 year license the day after it expired,

got a 6 year,( well 1 day shy of 6 years)  license now ????

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

I renewed my 5 year license the day after it expired,

got a 6 year,( well 1 day shy of 6 years)  license now

So did I. Although soon after I had a policeman getting rather confused by the fact my 5 year licence actually expired nearly 6 years in the future!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Odin Norway said:

Yes. Up to 1 year after expiring date.

I think it best to check at your local driving licence office. I have just renewed my licence that had run out (Prakhon Chai, Buriram). The clerk at first refused to renew the licence, telling me you only get 3 month's past the expire date. They wanted me to resit the full test as my licence was 4 months past the expiry date.

As we all know rules that apply at one Thai government office are different at another.

21 hours ago, soitgoes769 said:

So If I haven't done a 90 day report yet on my current visa, I can't get a residency certifcate?

If i were you, I would still go to IO and give it a shot.

I am reading some of the replies on how long they take to send this piece of paper to you.

Amazing, is all i can say.

I am moving to Bkk soon, and have lived in Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and longest I have waited to get the certificate is one day in CM, and about half an hour in the other two place.

I think I have a shock coming to me in Bkk

22 hours ago, soitgoes769 said:

Embassy it is, then.  Thanks!

Do you know what documents I need for the residency cert? I am hoping just my passport and utility bills. I have an appointment at the Embassy next Friday

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

Tried the British Embassy letter route but the earliest online appointment to get the letter was 5 weeks. Went to Immigration at Chaengwattana and they insisted on 1 month to get the letter sent to me.

I made an appointment for next Thursday, 14 March, yesterday morning for a similar service.

I think cancellations go back into the system and I struck lucky, the trouble is I don't think people bother to cancel if they don't need the appointment, I also believe some people book multiple dates.

45 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I made an appointment for next Thursday, 14 March, yesterday morning for a similar service.

I think cancellations go back into the system and I struck lucky, the trouble is I don't think people bother to cancel if they don't need the appointment, I also believe some people book multiple dates.

This is exactly what does occur. I attended au embassy yesterday. I stuffed up and arrived more than hour early. The joint was pretty much empty. Anyway they saw me 15 mins later. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

You have to of done at least one 90 day report to them.

I also need to get the proof of residency. Can anyone tell me what documents are required to do this at Chaeng Wattana Immigration?

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

I also need to get the proof of residency. Can anyone tell me what documents are required to do this at Chaeng Wattana Immigration?

Thank you!

Nothing more than you passport with your most recent 90 day report receipt since they have record of your address since you are reporting to them.

Perhaps this form completed but they may give you a different one. Application For Certificate Of Residency48.26 kB · 827 downloads

There will a 200 baht fee that includes sending it to you by EMS when completed.

All this hassle to get a resident certificate, and to think of all the negative comments I've had on here in the past for daring to suggest that a Yellow Tabien Baan was a useful document to get.

8 minutes ago, sumrit said:

All this hassle to get a resident certificate, and to think of all the negative comments I've had on here in the past for daring to suggest that a Yellow Tabien Baan was a useful document to get.

To be fair, some people might only need it once every 5 years.

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

To be fair, some people might only need it once every 5 years.

It's not necessarily how often you need to use it but more the convenience of having one available when you do want to use it.

Ask a Thai, how often do they actually need to show their Tabien Baan. It's not very often.

How often you you need to actually show the police your driving licence (the last time I was asked for mine was about six years ago) but you'll have problems if you can't show it when asked.

And a lot more might need it more often. But even if it's actually needed just very occasionally, with all the current issues over bank accounts that show International Transfers, opening a new bank account springs to mind as a reason for many to find one useful at the moment. Proof of residence for an annual extension is another.

Personally, I've used mine three time in the last three months. To renew my driving licence, to open a Bangkok Bank account and to renew my extension.

As I said, it's the convenience of having one when you do need show your proof of residence................But each to his own.

Edited by sumrit