Red stamp on 3rd SETV from Vientiane

Last week I got the dreaded blue "red stamp" on my SETV in Vientiane.  It's noteworthy because I didn't have that many visa in the passport.   So I'll give details here for the record.  Also one question.

Details about my visa application

I'm Canadian in my 30s.

Applied for SETV in VTE.

I was dressed nicely, but they didn't look or speak to me.

Below are the total of 4 SETVs in my passport (before applying).  These are pretty much back-to-back:

1 from HCMC

2 from Vientiane

1 from Savannakhet

My previous passport had 1 from VTE and 1 from HCMC in 2017.

The passport was issued to me in Bangkok about 2 years ago, which might not help, if they even notice that.

The stamp says something like "This guy comes to Thailand a lot. Maybe don't give him another visa."

Things are changing

So this is a bit of a surprise, as people here usually say you can usually get at least 3 or 4 visas from VTE before getting a red stamp.  I only had 2, then got the stamp on the 3rd.  Things are changing.

Also note, when I was applying for that 1 visa from Savannakhet in Nov 2018, I was given a verbal red stamp "You go Thailand too much.  You not coming back here for Visa".

Questions:

1. Does the new passport trick still work?
  2. What about a next entering by land, without a visa, and extending in Bangkok?  I have 0 visa exempt entries in the passport, all of 2018 and 2019.

Or I might just leave Thailand forever.  Other countries are looking nice, without the visa headache.

• Like 2

I spent around three years in SE Asia with Thailand as a base. I'd pick up the tourist visa overseas, and then stay three months ... but were I differ from you is that I'd spent a month or two in Vietnam, Malaysia, Bali, etc ... not just an overnight in another country to get a visa. 

They are clearly tightening up on this but my tactic on my return to SE Asia will be to move around 2 or 3 countries, including Thailand ... just look like a traveller. Alternatively, get an ED Visa ... but that ties you to classes.

• Like 1

Could be that your age had something to do with it. Or perhaps they don't believe you're a tourist:

Below are the total of 4 SETVs in my passport (before applying).  These are pretty much back-to-back:

1 from HCMC

2 from Vientiane

1 from Savannakhet

A 'normal' tourist would have seen most of Thailand in this time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, asdfrules said:
  • Does the new passport trick still work?
  • What about a next entering by land, without a visa, and extending in Bangkok?  I have 0 visa exempt entries in the passport, all of 2018 and 2019.

Getting a new passport still works.

You can get two 30 day visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings and get a 30 day extension of each one at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the form.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get two 30 day visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings and get a 30 day extension of each one at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the form.

Works to get another visa but your record is still on the computer at Imm' in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I love this forum.

I kinda want to to the ED visa but I think I already maxed that out in 2012 with 5 years of study.  Maybe I can just pretend I'm new and nobody will notice?

Otherwise I think I'll end up moving around more.  Harder to get apartments in most countries for 3 months, as opposed to 1 year, but oh well.  The change of scenery will be nice.

Here is what my dreaded red stamp looks like ↓

Dreaded red stamp.jpg

Edited by asdfrules

So much for the double entry tourist visa stamps they were promising back in Nov/Dec. Nice to see those never materialized. Just a friendly reminder, election is March 24, final results announced 6.5 weeks after that, according to news outlets.

Edited by Essecola

A post with screenshot of a Bangkok Post article has been removed.

Forum Rule

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.
These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com

On 3/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, asdfrules said:

2 from Vientiane

... before applying.  A 3rd from Vientiane would do it - not withstanding the others.

They've changed their wording for the 'remark stamp' to a more honest one.  It used to say something like, "proof of residence and income may be required next time" - which they would not accept if you brought it to show.

Next time, starting with a new passport, I would try:

1) Phnom Penh

2) KL or Penang

3) HCMC

4) Yangoon

5) Hanoi

6) Savannakhet

7) Vientiane (expecting the remark-stamp here, but maybe 1 more)

8} Vientiane

... returning by land each time.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Education visa will only stave off the problem for a period of time. And you are still at their mercy when you sit in front of them every three months and hope they don't decide to only extend u for 30 days rather than the 90 that you'd be expecting. It's really a shame they won't sell a one year visa for 100-125k thb. I'd love to buy an elite visa but what about after 18 months if I decide to open a business or go somewhere else, then a huge chunk of the 500k is gone and unrefundable. 

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be consensus on whether getting new passport truly solves your problems at Thai immigration.

Anecdotally for me, getting a new passport has completely solved the issue. I was getting a hard time often from IO when I'd enter on my old passport. But the last several entries on the new one have been a breeze.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farangx said:

Obviously you are living in Thailand on tourist visas, probably working illegally.  So it is not surprising you got that bonus stamp.

Why do you think he works illegally?  Not enough cheap-maids from Burma/Cambodia, so wages went up enough to lure in Westerners into taking risky under-the-table employment? 

It appears to me he spends 60 to 90 days at a time here, as allowed under the law.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Why do you think he works illegally?  Not enough cheap-maids from Burma/Cambodia, so wages went up enough to lure in Westerners into taking risky under-the-table employment? 

It appears to me he spends 60 to 90 days at a time here, as allowed under the law.

I have just been accused of working illegally in Telesales of all things. I sometimes really do wonder what makes people Tick. Some very strange people frequenting these boards

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

What suggest to you he is working as a maid .... or under the table whatever type of work that might be?

17 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It is not like Thai Immigration will be held hostage by their own law.  But there should be no stopping you from challenging the IO's decision, and I am sure the IO will be most appreciative if you point your understanding of the law to him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, farangx said:

What suggest to you he is working as a maid .... or under the table whatever type of work that might be?

Don't know now. May be it has tightened up. At one time huge numbers of bar managers, real estate sellers, teachers, scuba drivers, telemarketers, event organizers, etc. were all working illegally without work permits. Now most digital nomads are working illegally without work permits. I have met lots of these people in Thermae and also met one guy with smart visa recently. 

Edited by onera1961

56 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Don't know now. May be it has tightened up. At one time huge numbers of bar managers, real estate sellers, teachers, scuba drivers, telemarketers, event organizers, etc. were all working illegally without work permits. Now most digital nomads are working illegally without work permits. I have met lots of these people in Thermae and also met one guy with smart visa recently. 

Boy the huge lie that farangs take Thai jobs seems to get repeated endlessly around here....Along with the other favorite lie about farangs getting free health care.... 

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 2:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

No doubt you know about visa’s but I just renewed my passport and went to extend my non b with my new passport. They had my full history on computer with my old passport . Maybe it will work at consulate to obtain new visa but immigration will see the history 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

No doubt you know about visa’s but I just renewed my passport and went to extend my non b with my new passport. They had my full history on computer with my old passport . Maybe it will work at consulate to obtain new visa but immigration will see the history 

I thought BJ was linking the immigration database with the MFA database so that MFA have full history.

23 minutes ago, galt67 said:

As another commenter stated, clearly, the EASIEST solution is a 'Thai Elite Visa.'

5 year, 500kBht

20 year, 1M/Bht

No age restrictions nor income qualifications. Clean and straight forward.

My prediction is that they will require some proof of permanent residence elsewhere - I just don't think 20 years of uninterrupted residency will be a feature of EV going forward - the bundling of 20yr EV with property sales as pointed out by another poster is likely the only thing that may prevent that.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I thought BJ was linking the immigration database with the MFA database so that MFA have full history.

That may happen, but it has not happened yet. Also, Big Joke does not have jurisdiction over the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and I could imagine a big turf war over data ownership. We will see.

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That may happen, but it has not happened yet. Also, Big Joke does not have jurisdiction over the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and I could imagine a big turf war over data ownership. We will see.

They are already linked and being used during online visa application to the Bangkok based database.