Limit on TV Extensions B2B in Chiang Mai

Just heard CM immi. rejecting someone who did 2 years straight on SETVs for any future extensions (30-day). Not sure if that still stands if the

person went onto another visa a year and went back to TVs later in the same passport.

First time I've heard of rejections of extensions IN the country based on too many over a 2-year period.

Looks like the "Elite Lite" method of staying here (5 years) will be obsolete in about 18 months or less with the new AI crap coming in June....and they used to give out triples TVs like they were going out of fashion...ah, good old days.

Yes, UJ, I got it on good word and I've been a member here quite a while. No fake news.

The guy has already left the country.

Looks like I'll be thumbscrewed to getting married soon, dear god !

Or...stage exit left right to Vietnam....

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit for 30 day extension of a 60 day tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Just a local office making up their own rules if a report of them doing it is factual.

The problem with Thailand is that they cannot make up any rule and stick to the rule. However, harsh the rule may be, better to have a rule and then stick to it in all immigration offices. Better yet, make all applications on line requiring a simple interview for the final decision. The online application process can reject applications not meeting requirements and reduce loads on IOs. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

The problem with Thailand is that they cannot make up any rule and stick to the rule. However, harsh the rule may be, better to have a rule and then stick to it in all immigration offices. Better yet, make all applications on line requiring a simple interview for the final decision. The online application process can reject applications not meeting requirements and reduce loads on IOs. 

That is where it is going with the OUTSIDE of Thailand online application starting April 1st in a few countries...

Easier to reject people at source country, then immi. does not need to trawl through their history on arrival if its already been vetted outside Thailand as an approved visa.

The approval process I guess will access the same historic database on the applicant that IOs at airports have.

Regarding INSIDE Thailand, yes there seems to be no shortgage of variation between offices and even officers in the same office. Thai beurocracy just a notch below India these days...and 90-day reporting should just end...it's enough for people to report any update to their address.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There is no work load apart from that of their own 'go slow' making.

CM immigration are the most self-serving, corrupt and laziest IOs in the whole of Thailand.

I'm off to Saigon next month for a new VISA rather than face these ........... again.

Agree the whole show is a pain ,so yes go out,I intend to do another OA in Oz but is Saigon preferable , Can you say what you get there eg Retirement,marriage multi 3 month  req docs please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no written limit for 30 day extension of a 60 day tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Just a local office making up their own rules if a report of them doing it is factual.

There have been (rare) scattered reports of tourist entry extensions being rejected though. Also, the law says that extensions are, in principle, granted at the discretion of immigration. I could imagine this becoming more common at some immigration offices.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can see them angling to get agents doing tourist extensions.

I recall a frequent poster in the past - Chang Wattana office area - said he always did this to save the wasted day.  Now, even those who have the spare-time may be doing this soon. 

The "cleanup" of CM likely has the IOs there unhappy.  They are now unable to run their "agent-money or camp overnight in the parking lot" scheme any more - and seems they have been forced to allow TM-28 submissions from those who move there after getting an 1-year extension elsewhere - so may start "enforcing" every other way possible.  This reminds me of Sadao demanding to see 20K Baht from everyone - even those on Non-O Visas - after their "200 baht in the passport" scheme was shut down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I recall a frequent poster in the past - Chang Wattana office area - said he always did this to save the wasted day.  Now, even those who have the spare-time may be doing this soon.

Interesting! Any idea how to find an agent that offers that, in Bangkok? I've always thought that you have to go in person unless you're incapacitated.

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Interesting! Any idea how to find an agent that offers that, in Bangkok? I've always thought that you have to go in person unless you're incapacitated.

I only extended once in Bangkok (in person) - but lots of agents advertise there.  Likely similar to 1-year extensions, where you might have to show up for the picture  - but the queue would be bypassed, and the agent would have the extension pre-approved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1