Denied non-O retirement extension in 2 provinces

32 minutes ago, roberta said:

I believe my only hope might be to leave the country briefly (a cheap flight to a neighbouring country) and try to re-enter Thailand on a 30 day visa waiver.

A number of people have suggested that you use a hotel in Nonthaburi to process your extension. You have not commented on that suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

A number of people have suggested that you use a hotel in Nonthaburi to process your extension. You have not commented on that suggestion.

Or better yet just go back to staying with the friend where she originally stayed. File TM 30 immediately on arrival. Then form filled out by him + copy of his tabian ban and Thai ID card will meet requirement to show address.

But yes, hotel might  work too.

Obviously in this case do not tell them you have bought a condo elsewhere and plan to return there. If asked, just say you visited province X and have now returned to Nonthaburi.

Happened to me last year but I had attended CW with my Agent. He disappeared and an hour later reappeared with a paper stapled to the last page of my passport. A few grunts from the same IO and all was well. It seemed to be a process to transfer my entry point to Bangkok. Maybe harder to achieve now, but I would use an agent. Cheers RtS

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Since it seems now to be confirmed that for a first extension it has to be done at the same Imm Office that you got the visa conversion at, you have 2 choices:

1. Apply in Nonthaburi. Either stay in a hotel (they will file the TM30 for you), or rent a place short term (make sure a TM30 gets filed), or (best option) stay with the same friend you initially stayed with when you did the visa, so that your address is unchanged. What sort of proof of address did you show at the time you got the visa? Use same. Bring along copy of your friend's tabian ban (signed) and copy of his Thai ID (signed). There may also be a form he needs to fill out stating you stay with him, maybe ask about that first so you can.  I don't know what that form is called but I had to complete one when I had a Thai-foreign couple temporarily staying with me and doing an O extension based on marriage, to certify that they lived with me.

2. Leave the country and come back in on a new  non-immigrant "O"  visa . You can get in Vientiane, Laos but note that appointments are required in Vientiane. See this thread for description if requirements

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084795-non-o-visa-retirement-vientiane/

I think this would be  better than coming back in on a tourist visa and trying to change it. Saves a step and avoids possible questions/pitfalls when they see you are coming in on a tourist visa after having just left the country and also previously having had on an O visa.

As soon as you arrive, file another TM30 with the IO where you are staying. You should then be easily able to do the extension there.

Thank you for your advice.

The documents required for my address registration at Nonthaburi Immigration were (to the best of my recollection) were - house title deed, contract for purchase, tabian baan, owner's ID card, and... there was more, but I forget.  Unfortunately she is not in Thailand now, and will return near the end of this month, too close for comfort to my visa expiration on April 3.

I am afraid I cannot qualify for the Non-O visa in Vientiane.  Police clearance certificate?  from where?  how to get?  My birth country is UK and they don't issue them there - I have tried - and I have not lived there for years anyway.  Sawannakhet  requires proof of retirement - how?  I am over 50 and don't work, but I have never formally retired and receive no pension and no document of any kind which would prove I am retired.  I will just have to chance my luck at getting back in on a visa waiver and then a new Non-O issued in Bangkok.

19 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Remembering the large number of documents required, and the actual presence of the owner at Immigration, to register my address previously, I very much doubt that this would work.  Nonthaburi has many unique rules and requirements, far beyond any other province I have heard of.

1 minute ago, roberta said:

Remembering the large number of documents required, and the actual presence of the owner at Immigration, to register my address previously, I very much doubt that this would work.  Nonthaburi has many unique rules and requirements, far beyond any other province I have heard of.

The document list is waived for hotels for TM30 notification. They do it online. However I agree that success is not guaranteed using a hotel. But if you never try, you sure won't succeed.

All you need is an address in Nonthaburi. That's all you need. Maybe someone on here can help you. It would save you a trip to another country and stop you returning to square one.

23 hours ago, baansgr said:

Stay with your friend for a few days in Nonthaburi, register there, get your extension, then move back to your condo in BKK

Yes baansgr you clever bugger, you just gotta play the games that they want to play.

23 minutes ago, roberta said:

Thank you for your advice.

The documents required for my address registration at Nonthaburi Immigration were (to the best of my recollection) were - house title deed, contract for purchase, tabian baan, owner's ID card, and... there was more, but I forget.  Unfortunately she is not in Thailand now, and will return near the end of this month, too close for comfort to my visa expiration on April 3.

I am afraid I cannot qualify for the Non-O visa in Vientiane.  Police clearance certificate?  from where?  how to get?  My birth country is UK and they don't issue them there - I have tried - and I have not lived there for years anyway.  Sawannakhet  requires proof of retirement - how?  I am over 50 and don't work, but I have never formally retired and receive no pension and no document of any kind which would prove I am retired.  I will just have to chance my luck at getting back in on a visa waiver and then a new Non-O issued in Bangkok.

See post 10 in that thread. A Thai police certificate is accepted and is not at all hard to get.

Savannakhet does not require police certificate last I heard so if you  want to avoid need for a Thai police and medical certificate go there.

No need for "proof of retirement" anywhere (there is no such thing). Just proof of funds.  The term "proof of retirement" is used to mean "proof you can support yourself without working" i.e. sufficient savings or pension/annuity etc. Your seasoned 800K will suffice.

You can get the O visa with what you already have, from Savannakhet. And with the addition of a Thai police certificate and medical certificate, at Ventiane. Though if I were you I'd first try using your friend's address when she returns, with a trip to Laos planned as back up.

These are much safer/surer alternatives to your pan of coming in on a visa exempt, which may be questioned given your history of living in Thailand.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If I were you I would first try going back to CW, might get a different IO this time and a different outcome. Don't mention the prior trip, just go in, hand them all documentation including your TM30 receipt and tabian ban or condo papers and see what happens.

Worst they can do is refuse but AFAIK there is no valid reason for them to do so. Unless there is some rule that first extension has to be at same office as the visa -- @UbonJoe?

That’s something you should try very soon and if it doesn’t work I recommend going to the Thai Embassy which is just over the border of Savannakhét, Laos and just apply for a whole new retirement visa.  I’ve never needed to use it but I’ve heard great things about the Thai Embassy in Savannakhét and they have always been my back up plan if I ever had an extension problem which luckily I have not in almost 5 years living here in Thailand.  That’s probably your best option but maybe try what Sheryl said first and if that doesn’t work leave the country, get a whole new retirement visa at a Thai Embassy, and then just come back to Thailand with your new visa.  Like I said Savannakhét is probably your best option.  

Also message a guy on this website named ubonjoe he is one of the site moderators and he’s an expert on these matters, no one here knows as much as he does about these things at least not anyone willing to give extremely good advice for free.  Talk to Ubonjoe first he’ll never steer you wrong he honestly knows what he’s talking about and absolutely no BS.  He has well over a decade of experience dealing with these things and he’s willing to help people.  He’s given me great advice on several occasions over the past 5 years.  Ubonjoe is the only person on this website that I fully trust to ask advice about visa and extension matters and even some other things as well he knows Thailand better than anyone else I have ever spoken to online.  

I bet Ubonjoe will probably tell you the same thing I did or something very similar but you should still ask him first because I might be totally missing something about your situation that Ubonjoe definitely will not miss.  He’s really good at these things as long as you clearly explain the situation so he knows all the facts.  If you take nothing else at all from my post at least trust me and ask Ubonjoe he doesn’t mind giving very good free advice.  And it will be very good advise I assure you.  

• Like 1

Roberta I sent a message to you. I used a legal adviser (probably code for agent). I had to make one trip to Immigration with them.

After that used information Ubonjoe posts and the extension were 

a breeze. I also moved to another province in the North but no issues.

Posts like yours makes all of wonder what they may come up with next at immigration to aggravate the pee out of foreigners.

I suspect immigration jobs are in high demand...the satisfaction obtained by making foreigners squirm must be priceless for many Thais...

• Like 2

Applied once for an extension of a business visa as my working place was in Bangkok, I was allowed to process it at CW using an old bangkok address. I fact Nonthaburi refused to process it even my home was there

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

As OP, I hate to leave this thread without any conclusion.  I wish to thank all those who offered advice.  I can only say that my situation has happily been resolved by means outside my control, from an unexpected quarter.

As OP, I hate to leave this thread without any conclusion.  I wish to thank all those who offered advice.  I can only say that my situation has happily been resolved by means outside my control, from an unexpected quarter.

Ooooh, sounds intriguing! Glad it has worked out for you :-)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/8/2019 at 8:03 AM, mngmn said:

Take the Thai immigration department's advice, leave the country and treat yourself to a nice peaceful life in another country ????

Seriously though it's probably your only option.

Its probably OUR only option... ????