Claim centres to track down tourists who skip hospital bills

webfact

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

understand but still not credible......last September my wife was admitted for an in and out surgery, she stayed for 2 nights, that's correct nobody asked for money when they admitted her but when we were ready to leave the nurse came with the invoice and told me to go down to the cashier's, my wife will stay in the room,  once payment was made to bring a copy of the receipt to her, next to us was a couple of Thais, they had to do the same, can't understand how some can get away without a receipt

Exactly my experience, I have been in Thai hospitals over night a couple of times. 

Just now, garyk said:

Exactly my experience, I have been in Thai hospitals over night a couple of times. 

that's logical thinking, I do think the people coming up with such a BS are just pulling one on us, it's almost impossible to run without paying, unless one jumps from the window or runs out at 3-4 in the morning if the nurses are half a sleep and even then.... the claim/post doesn't sound good, it has to be something else or just FAKE NEWS

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:

you see westerners all the time with a massive belief of self importance and entitlement as they clearly have it in their heads they are superior.

Off topic,

Does my degree and my postgraduate and 65K pension make me more important than someone who left their village school age 12 and earns 10k in a good month for a 60 hour week?

It's an interesting concept/discussion and I know the Thai answer.

Back on topic,

When they charge us (white folk) the same price as everyone else (brown folk), I'll start giving a damn about them losing some of their vast profits to unscrupulous foreigners.

My daughter (Thai uni student) came back from the dentist last week with a bill for 6kbht, 2 wisdom teeth they removed from her mouth without asking how she could pay or when they would be paid.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

True, but there have been too many cases of malpractice where the Thai hospital made a mess of the job and expected the Farang to pay double Thai prices. And of course, this being Thailand, no responsibility!

bad news for you...it's all around the world, read the US news, not voluntarily ignoring other countries, but just for an easy reference, you will see how many malpractice cases happen there on a weekly basis, please, don't blame everything on Thailand, there's no such thing as a perfect place, they all have pros and cons

I have a friend who is currently in chonburi public hospitial, no insurance so self funding.

Liver problems, maybe cancer, so will be a few week stay, ct scans, some operations, biopsy etc.

He is paying the same rate as the thai guy (with similar problems) in the bed next door, the same price for ct scans etc. His wife checks the cost of everything against what Thais are paying for the same services.

He has been given pricing/estimates for each procedure and a top end figure if major surgery is required.

Currently they appear to be billing as a major procedure/weekly stay is completed, a ct scan and blocked bile duct surgery, an account to be settled. 

4 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

The government should define as to the nationalities that default. I'd say it's not farang but Chinese/Asian to be the biggest defaulters.

1) Chinese.

2) Russian.

3) Indian.

4) Italian.

5) Israelis.

6) People from Liverpool. :giggle: 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I thought the solution employed by some Thai hospitals in the past has basically been to seize the passports of their patients, as guarantee they won't skip out on the bill and/or try to leave the country. And/or report the issue the Thai Immigration.

Hospitals cannot legally hold your passport. A quick call to your Embassy saying that such-and-such is illegally holding your passport will solve that very quickly.

I know that beachside motorcycle rentals, jet ski mafia and police may have a different opinion, but it's not legal.

As far as not paying a Hospital Bill, it's not a criminal offense, it is a civil offense. Police and immigration will not do anything. I'm sure the hospitals have more pull than most people, and may be able to get an immigration stop, but that process takes time.

I have first hand experience...and I understand why hospitals want payment up front. If they don't and the client walks out, there is very little they can actually do.

...and thats why Thailand is tightening up controls on many fronts in regards to foreigners. The lax rules have been abused to the point that the Thai's are tired us. I welcome the stricter rules. There are far too many criminals, deadbeats and people that just don't deserve to be here that screw it up for everyone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DLock said:

Hospitals cannot legally hold your passport. A quick call to your Embassy saying that such-and-such is illegally holding your passport will solve that very quickly.

I know that beachside motorcycle rentals, jet ski mafia and police may have a different opinion, but it's not legal.

As far as not paying a Hospital Bill, it's not a criminal offense, it is a civil offense. Police and immigration will not do anything. I'm sure the hospitals have more pull than most people, and may be able to get an immigration stop, but that process takes time.

I have first hand experience...and I understand why hospitals want payment up front. If they don't and the client walks out, there is very little they can actually do.

...and thats why Thailand is tightening up controls on many fronts in regards to foreigners. The lax rules have been abused to the point that the Thai's are tired us. I welcome the stricter rules. There are far too many criminals, deadbeats and people that just don't deserve to be here that screw it up for everyone else.

I never said the "seize the passports" deal was legal. Just said, members here have reported hospitals here doing that in the past, AFAIR.

There are far too many criminals, deadbeats and people that just don't deserve to be here that screw it up for everyone else.

That might well be true, but there's not much anyone can do about kicking out of the country folks like corrupt politicians, do nothing or law breaking cops, bus-van-and-truck drivers who are road fatalities waiting to happen, wife-abusing lowlifes who burn, poison, beat, stab etc. their spouses to death, etc etc etc.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 minutes ago, DLock said:

No it wont. They won't take a blind bit of notice and will continue to hold the ppt. The only option for the holder is to apply for a new one or (if tourist) an ETD.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never said the "seize the passports" deal was legal. Just said, members here have reported hospitals here doing that in the past, AFAIR.

That might well be true, but there's not much anyone can do about kicking out of the country folks like corrupt politicians, do nothing or law breaking cops, bus-van-and-truck drivers who are road fatalities waiting to happen, wife-abusing lowlifes who burn, poison, beat, stab etc. their spouses to death, etc etc etc.

I have heard the same thing regarding passport holding from Hotels, hospitals, motorcycle renters etc...so I am sure it is done and I am sure Officer Somchai will help such businesses intimidate uneducated people to get paid...but from experience, someone who knows the system, can essentially walk away from his payment responsibilities, get his passport and disappear....and the business can only lodge a civil claim, or possibly an immigration halt...

...although you could also take a pretty decent beating as well..

Getting copies of passports, having signed and witnessed watertight contract agreements are important. But getting paid in advance for me, was key.

14 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No it wont. They won't take a blind bit of notice and will continue to hold the ppt. The only option for the holder is to apply for a new one or (if tourist) an ETD.

You are 100% wrong and the Embassy will contact the company holding the passport and then contact the police to go and get it. It belongs to the Embassy. It cannot be held, and should technically not even be given.

Go try it and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, jamestip1947 said:

Crying shame about my lovely lady and her Daughters education which I am paying for would all come to a sudden halt !

They could visit you in Cambodia, you could visit them in Thailand.

The border isn't far, and the bus isn't expensive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DLock said:

That's a tired old myth.  Looking at this logically, the money they are costing is a fraction per head.  Politicians seems to be the main ones with the screwdriver????

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

n the longer term, he would like to see long-stay tourists be required to buy life insurance, accident insurance and health insurance

Life insurance-I’m not buying life insurance.  I have health insurance.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

No. Which is why the concept above of adding health insurance costs to your visa application + annual extensions is a really good one. 

And what about people with pre existing conditions? Insurance companies going to blanket cover everyone? Doubt it. Then they would have to increase the cost so much for everyone. Are you going to see people with pec flocking to Thailand to get in on the visa insurance so they can get coverage that they normally wouldn't be able to get? And if the limits are set low, well most of those hospital visits could be covered oop anyway. 

13 hours ago, Letseng said:

Not all folks over 60 are old and decrepit spending time in a wheelchair. Just remember, use your muscles or you loose them and with it goes your general health. Live a healthy life style.

This is a classic excuse for thinking a person does not need health insurance

You understand how insurance works right? What "insurance" means?

Does a person go buy fire insurance only after their home is ablaze?

As for healthy folks are you also saying joggers don't drop from heart attack? That only healthy folks get cancer?

Don't get me wrong healthy life is the way to go & I live clean, but it is naive to think that negates "insurance"

& the main reason Thailand is now concerned with so many "healthy" foreigners

I know dozens of Thais that pay no taxes, why are they covered? Foreigners come to Thailand and by Thai standards pump massive amounts in and in addtion provide the Bank Of Thailand with foreign currency reserves but don't give medical cover to non-Thais? Talk about all take and no give. Another way would be to let foreigners have the option of paying into the government system, not just only the private sector. How much does the average Thai put in. The national salary is how much outside of the cities, maybe 15,000 - 20,000 Baht per month. I wonder how many pay tax for health? Let's say 1500Baht which might be over but most foreigners can pay that. The system is based on the relatively low number who pay taxes who work for banks, hospitals etc covering the whole population of Thailand many of the older people have never paid tax and never will but they have cover. The foreigner who spends 150,000 per month in Thailand no he is not covered and made to look bad. Who contributes more to the Thai economy? Obvious! I would say around 75% of Thais I know pay zero tax as they are not officially employed. Mostly intentionally as they do not want a 9 to 5 job.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DLock said:

You are 100% wrong and the Embassy will contact the company holding the passport and then contact the police to go and get it. It belongs to the Embassy. It cannot be held, and should technically not even be given.

Go try it and see what happens.

Hospitals will not send and police will not retrieve no matter how many times an embassy complains in LoS.

Your '100% wrong' may well be correct but not in the direction you'd have us believe.

Edited by evadgib

19 hours ago, cnx355 said:

In the Philippines, if you stay 6 months or more you need Immigration clearance certificate before you fly out. They check local police records for warrants and unpaid tickets and that you do not any unpaid debt. I guess hospitals and companies and landlords can register unpaid debt in someway with Immigration. Maybe others knw how this is done.

It seems to be an efficient systems and  tourist and expats know that they can not escape to pay if they   are on long stay.

I read that Mr Duterte ( the President ) have a project to change  the requirement to 3 months.

And yes, you have to paid for this clearance certificate.

Yes well know how Mr Duterte likes to settle accounts.

• Haha 2