Claim centres to track down tourists who skip hospital bills

webfact

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the people sobbing about the 800K in the bank for retirement renewal, might as well  start factoring in 15 to 45 K more, and that as a fee, and yes that is likely a low ball amount. Pulling insurance from retirement VISA holders is likely to be too much a cash cow, not to do it.

Whether it is unfair or not, I imagine in two years it will be a fact. Might as well start your planning now.  

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

300 million baht is a drop in the ocean compared to what comes in. 

Most of the injuries were probably caused by Thais in the first place anyway . 

Try making the place safer for tourists !

Irrelevant nonsense. Doesn't matter if it's an injury caused by an accident, illness, doing something stupid etc etc. If you receive something and skip off without paying it's theft. People knowingly commit a criminal act and then try to dismiss it with " it's only a small amount compared................ etc etc" Nope, it's theft.

13 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

yes, but the bigger question is,

do the thai government understand the concept of

'the cost of doing business' ?

That logic makes zero sense. 

Any business that provides a service deserves to get paid...it's pretty simple.

They will now just tighten up, and you will pay in advance or die on the street. 

56 minutes ago, BestB said:

Thos is what I find little crazy , Thai who pay no taxes get 30 baht medical care and of something cost money and they do not pay , hospital does not treat them.

foreigners spent at least double , as pensions still higher than the average wage in Thailand are a burden ? And treated irrespective if they pay or not ?

bangkok hospital Pattaya , visit to a doctor by me is 1000 baht , same doctor for a Thai 500 baht. So perhaps 300 million is really only 150 million and the Centers may cost double that to operate with no guarantees of success 

An article in another new paper other than the nation states it is foreigners who are old who go in for care and get admitted and treated ling term racking up some of the large bills. Who cannot pay. In a lot of cases, the patients require long-term treatment for chronic illnesses such as alcoholism and liver and heart diseases. And this article was harsh and from the year 2011

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Your lying there half dead on the trolley and the first words, How do you want to pay?

Very valid question.
Who wants to work without getting paid, or spend money on a stranger without any chance to get it back ?

As a traveller, a foreigner or even a resident:  try to get into a hospital anywhere in the world without the question about valid insurance or other means to pay.

You want a service, be it food, beer, medical or other services, you need to pay.
simple as that.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

This idea can be rectified for those on retirement visas - Simply add in the cost of healthcare to the visa. Say 15'000 baht for the first visa and then 5'000 baht for all subsequent visas. Retirees are then free to use government hospital the same as the locals do and for the same cost.  The UK runs a similar concept for those on Tier 4 visas (students) as part of the visa application process student need to make a one off 500 (ish) GBP contribution to the NHS after which they can use it during their studies. 

I would also like to know the break-down of those nationalities who as tourists have come here and not paid hospital bills. Perhaps when Thailand marketed itself as a destination for 'as a medical hub for medical tourism' the meaning was poorly translated in the marketing literature! 

That is not  such a bad idea ! If the surcharge was for comprehensive insurance cover, competatively priced and a choice of insurer was included to at least negate the possibility of a single dodgy monopolist.

On the  scale of things 300mill is not so significant but perhaps an increasing trend that has been observed.

45 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't understand this "anti-foreigner'' statement. I have lived here for nigh on 14 years and have never come across this bias. Check up on the general British public as to their views on foreigners if you want to know about anti-foreigner bias. Yes they have regulations for long stay visas as do all other countries and it seems there is some confusion in some IO's regarding these regulations but to regard this as anti-foreigner is a bit much. I have always been treated with respect here but I am also respectful.

Don't disagree with you. But there has been an increase in articles in various media, like this, which imply lots, most or all foreigners are bad, up to something or untrustworthy. I started visiting Thailand regularly in 1990 and it does seem to have been a lot friendlier then. But to be fair, travel to most countries was easier and friendlier then too.

What we've seen in the UK is a growth in anti foreigner sentiment fueled by the far right, false social media and dubious politicians. I have relatives who believe all the problems in the UK today are caused because we let too many foreigners in, pay too much to the EU which it squanders, and give billions away (via the EU) in foreign aid to countries who are conning us. They all left school at 15/16, stopped all forms of learning and education then apart from acquiring a work skill and are now mid 50-60's. There must be swathes of people like them in other countries who are easily convinced into believing nonsense once ideas are put in their head. And this increase in people spouting xenophobic racist bigotry seems to be a growing spreading trend.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

This idea can be rectified for those on retirement visas - Simply add in the cost of healthcare to the visa. Say 15'000 baht for the first visa and then 5'000 baht for all subsequent visas. Retirees are then free to use government hospital the same as the locals do and for the same cost.  The UK runs a similar concept for those on Tier 4 visas (students) as part of the visa application process student need to make a one off 500 (ish) GBP contribution to the NHS after which they can use it during their studies. 

I would also like to know the break-down of those nationalities who as tourists have come here and not paid hospital bills. Perhaps when Thailand marketed itself as a destination for 'as a medical hub for medical tourism' the meaning was poorly translated in the marketing literature! 

I am on a retirement extension prefer private hospitals and have insurance.

why should I have to pay more for hospitals I will never use??

20 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

For the people sobbing about the 800K in the bank for retirement renewal, might as well  start factoring in 15 to 45 K more, and that as a fee, and yes that is likely a low ball amount. Pulling insurance from retirement VISA holders is likely to be too much a cash cow, not to do it.

Whether it is unfair or not, I imagine in two years it will be a fact. Might as well start your planning now.  

This will be totally fair you will have choice of 3 Thai companies to choose from all owned by the same people...lol......

So the total owed was 10 million US dollars. This is peanuts, and certainly represents only a tiny fraction of the amount tourists are overcharged by. No action at all is needed.

Any factual examples of tourists being overcharged? The hospitals will give an estimate of costs prior to any service given. Final costs may vary depending on individual requirements. Do you have any proof of cost differences for exactly the same service for a national as opposed to a tourist? Medical check up? MRI service? Any actual proof?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Seems it is mostly travellers from third world countries and/or countries with some kind of gov. healthcare who have no concept of taking out proper insurance while traveling or retiring abroad  and expect a foreign country to pick up their medical bills. Bit shortsighted or even dumb IMO. Good medical care here often runs more expensive than back home. Come prepared.... MS>

I never get medical trratment or care unless i can pay for it upfront. If i can't i will go without. If i don't get mesical6care that's my fault for not having the funds to pay for it. Im currently waiting for the funds to get signa 0 deductible for me and my wife. Which last quoted was about 650 month. If i remember correct that is. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

300 million baht is a drop in the ocean compared to what comes in. 

Most of the injuries were probably caused by Thais in the first place anyway . 

Try making the place safer for tourists !

line one:
irrelevant. try to explain that to the bouncer of your local girly bar when your cash is not sufficient.
line two:
unfounded and undocumented generalization, completely ignores the percentage of chronic diseases being treated, the amount spent on self-caused traffic injuries, diving into an empty pool, unsuccessful rope free bungee jumps, falls after abuse of substances, etc.
line three:
like make softer pavements so people that crash without a helmet do not bump their head when touching upon the asphalt  at 100 kmh ?
or tell tourists that they are not supernatural for being a tourist and also they have to look left-right-left before crossing the street?
or a compulsory life vest for drunks that do not know how to swim but try anyway ?

Gimme a break.

Just now, Sealbash said:

Any factual examples of tourists being overcharged? The hospitals will give an estimate of costs prior to any service given. Final costs may vary depending on individual requirements. Do you have any proof of cost differences for exactly the same service for a national as opposed to a tourist? Medical check up? MRI service? Any actual proof?

Since you missed it. Visit to the same doctor in private hospital by foreigner is 1000 baht , for Thai 500 baht.

and no hospitals do not give you price unless it’s a surgery and even then it usually goes over an estimate unless insurance is paying . 

When end you ask price to see doctor you get told a price , but never any mention of nursing fee or equipment use and that’s easily 300 on top

1 minute ago, Sealbash said:

A guy in a bar told him, lol

2 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

No common sense on this forum please

I think it’s safe to assume that the vast majority of the people not paying are not retirees who could be found easily but tourists who can flee the country. If you are on a retirement extension and have 800,000 in the bank then you have money the government can access to pay your bill. Or if like me you have insurance because you don’t want to use a government hospital why should I be forced to pay more? 

A little more common sense for you 

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Good point. Since those who did pay and overpay they owe us, not the other way around. 

The article mentions primarily government hospitals which yeah, have a two tier pricing schedule because farangs are not eligible for the Thai thirty baht scheme.
I have now been admitted four times at provincial hospitals, including for an ischemic stroke, and found the bills very reasonable. I am only, barely, a millionaire by baht standards.
If you legally meet the income standards to live here you should be able to cover most medical costs at government hospitals.
I like the idea of a surcharge on long term visas. I have a number of times suggested a "thirty baht" scheme for foreigners, obviously at a higher rate, and add a reasonable co-pay. Many nations do something of the sort 
It really is not rocket science if I can conceive of it. 

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

Anyone still feel like there are a guest today in Thailand.

or just one more paying customer,  over charged and given bad service.

Carry on Thailand. 

Hand out.jpg

You know you can leave any time and go to <insert country here>, right?

If you are not happy and can't afford to live here, feel free to leave and enjoy quality free healthcare in <insert country here>.

11 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Image result for siriraj hospital foreigner fee

Archived