Closing The Farm :(

Well it's finaly came to it. I've got to close down, well I actualy closed about a month ago which is one of the reasons I've been a bit proccupied of late and not posting much.

Some of you will know that I had an outbrake of TB in the herd about 6 months ago. This was a reall blow but not a killer one, unfortunaly when we came to check the blood again 3 months later it was still present in some of the herd. I was left with no real choice other then sell them all. I'm pretty loathed to buy in anymore stock at the moment as I have no fresh fodder for them anyway, so have decided to return to the UK for a while and reassess my situation.

RC

Well it's finaly came to it. I've got to close down, well I actualy closed about a month ago which is one of the reasons I've been a bit proccupied of late and not posting much.

Some of you will know that I had an outbrake of TB in the herd about 6 months ago. This was a reall blow but not a killer one, unfortunaly when we came to check the blood again 3 months later it was still present in some of the herd. I was left with no real choice other then sell them all. I'm pretty loathed to buy in anymore stock at the moment as I have no fresh fodder for them anyway, so have decided to return to the UK for a while and reassess my situation.

RC

Sorry about the bad run of luck. Seems like there is always something that can go wrong with any type of farming operation; Mother Nature must not like farmers. I have cousins back in the states who are farmers. Seems like they work 7 days a week all day long and barely make ends meet.

I guess a small farm just for "play" would be okay but to compete with locals........don't see how anyone could do it and make much money.

Didn't you have milk cows?

Bad luck with the second lot of TB.

What with you closing down on your farm and Khonwan getting rid of his pigs there soon won't be any farang farmers left.

I will give you a bell tomorrow.

Best of luck.

Bill

I will give you a bell tomorrow.
Ok mate, I feel we might have to drink large quantities of alchol soon.....I usually helps :o
What are your plans for the Uk, if the Embassy eventually sort their act out
Not really sure yet I'm sure something will pan out.

Thanks all for the replies

RC

wh;at??????????????

tb? or johnnes?

i thought u culled out all the bad ones?

darn, iw as counting on u being around five/ten years from now when we would finally decide to do the goat thing in korat .....for expertise in getting all the meds, vets etc...

farming is a bitch.....

i really liked having your knowlege on line here.

bina

israel

Farming vegies is one thing - you plant them & a few months later harvest/pick the crop.

Farming livestock is another thing - it is 24/7/365 (especially if you are milking), it can take years to get on an even keel. To have to close up shop ...... well, I can't think of a harder way to have one's self-confidance knocked.

I/m sorry to hear it.

Any do's & dont's you want to share ........

MF

Ramdom don't kick your own ass, everything is as its meant to be, when you have a break then come back here you will be surprised with what happens........ you know as well as I do its all about carma, and I'm sure the big wheel is coming your way, relax, everything will work out, it always does for us good guys.......

Edit.... Sorry I can't spell for sh*t

Edited by solent01

Edit.... Sorry I can't spell for sh*t
don't worry neither can I :D

You did ok that sentence mate! :o

Hey, I'm really sorry to here that RC. Haven't had much time to read TV of late, let alone post, but when I saw this news I couldn't let it go without saying that's a real bitch to hear, knowing how you've worked so hard to build up the farm and learn the ropes the hard way.

Is there no way you could change the farm priorities around and hang on? Might mean a big drop in income in short term, but if it meant staying on in LOS, then it might be worth going "por piang" for a while until things picked up with a new enterprise (but without too many eggs in one basket if possible).

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure things out for the best and be back before long. What's your wife think about the prospect of moving to UK? Better doing it in spring than autumn, is one small consolation I guess.

keep us posted of how things go.

All the best! :D

Is there no way you could change the farm priorities around and hang on? Might mean a big drop in income in short term, but if it meant staying on in LOS, then it might be worth going "por piang" for a while until things picked up with a new enterprise (but without too many eggs in one basket if possible)
Thanks for the comments mate, yea I could probaly "hang on", luckly we'd been downsizing a fair bit anyway as we were going to have problems with forage over the dry season. The idea being to re-stock when we had the forage up and growing. It really would of been hanging on though and although I love living here I'm still not that old and a couple of years back in work won't hurt. It will give me wife an oppertunity to see a bit of my original culture as well ( If I can ever get her visa sorted :o )

Dear Collin,

I'm so sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Wishing you and your family the very best and hope to meet again in the future!

Thank you for all your advices you giving me and my family when you invited us on your farm last november.

It gave me a very good (important) feeling that according your opinion my father in law could handle the farming job very good considering his knowledge / expierence of cattle.

You gave me the confidence to proceed my farm "project".

The planning is to start in May with my Brahman cattlefarm near Phichit.

Hope you can visit my farm in the coming years?

Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!

kind regards,

:o

Ruud

Thats awful RC.

Have you considered dog farming?

I hear there is a demand for dogmeat from some of the German expat population.

May be worth investigating further.

All the best,

Goldenmile :o

your mate Stroller, SBF?

RC

It is very hard to walk away from something you love, especially when you have poured your heart and soul into it.

I wish you well for any venture you pursue in the future.

Keep looking forward. Remember the lessons of the past but don't relive them in your mind it is a form of torture.

Take care

CP

Sad to hear the news RC, wondering about the cattle and TB, I remember reading a while back about cattle smuggled into Thailand from Burma, avoiding any checks for TB, you're not that far from Burma. Could this be the cause?

As you have irrigation on the farm you could branch out into crops, the wife can't grow enough chillis to meet the demand and the beauty is they keep.

Sorry to hear about hassles with the wife's visa, no doubt once you're back in Blighty earning it'll be no problem.

I reckon one week of England would be enough for my wife, can't ride a motorbike without a helmet? Can't sell something on the pavement? Too many laws for her liking.

Still, get some money together and at 70 baht a pound it goes a lot further than in the pre- floating baht days of 40 baht a pound, and bounce back with new plans. I admire the way you chose dairy but I can't help feeling beef cattle is so much easier. One calf per year,7,000 baht for males, 11,000 baht for females.

No doubt you'll still keep in touch with this forum, probably after completing your night shift with British Aerospace!

All the best,

bannork.

^ Don't really know the cause as we had'nt really bought in stock for a while as we'd been downsizing to cope with the shortfall in forage I was going to have anyway this dry season. I can't help agreeing with your analisis on the beef v dairy. Beef is easier but the returns you get if the milk goes right are far better, although it's bloddy hard work and never stops. Unfortunatly most of the buissiness decisions here have been affected by the nessesity of earning a regular monthly income. Mabye I'll change to beef in the future along with growing "stuff". I'd probaly lean more towards raising clafs than a pure feedlot operation. A lot will depend on my finances when I return.