Pentagon sets limits on transgender troops

webfact

Pentagon sets limits on transgender troops

2019-03-13T020611Z_1_LYNXMPEF2C06H_RTROPTP_4_USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Aerial view of the United States military headquarters, the Pentagon, September 28, 2008. REUTERS/Jason Reed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Defence Department signed a memo on Tuesday that would enforce limitations on transgender people serving in the military, a policy that has been the subject of court challenges.

The policy will take effect on April 12 and will bar most transgender individuals from serving if they require hormone treatments or transition surgery.

The memo, signed by David Norquist, currently the No. 2 official at the Pentagon, will allow service secretaries to issue waivers on a case-by-case basis.

President Donald Trump announced in July 2017 a ban on transgender people serving in the military. He later accepted Pentagon recommendations to limit the ban to individuals with a history of gender dysphoria, defined as "those who may require substantial medical treatment," and allowing some exceptions.

A series of court challenges had put the policy on hold. But the U.S. Supreme Court in January lifted lower-court rulings that had blocked the policy, allowing it to go into effect.

Trump's decision to bar many transgender troops reversed a landmark 2016 policy of his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, to let transgender people for the first time serve openly in the armed forces and receive medical care to transition genders.

Trump cited military focus and medical costs for rolling back the policy.

A 2016 Pentagon-commissioned study found that any impact on cost or military readiness from having transgender troops would be marginal. It estimated there were around 2,450 transgender troops at the time.

Advocates for transgender people criticized the Trump policy. "The Trump administration is determined to bring back 'don’t ask, don't tell,' a policy that forced service members to choose between serving their country and telling the truth about who they were," Aaron Belkin, director of the Palm Center LGBT-rights think tank, said in a statement.

(Reporting by Eric Beech and Idrees Ali; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-13
  • Confused 1

The largest layoff of transgender people in history. American voters, the vast majority which support fairness to LGBT people, won't forget this horrible injustice.

Military Officially Moves to Bar Over 13,700 Transgender Members

https://www.advocate.com/transgender/2019/3/12/military-officially-moves-bar-over-13700-transgender-members

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Nothing new here. I'm afraid us Scots have been "Devils in Skirts" for centuries:

Yup - you lifted them up and the enemy ran away fearing those unknown "creatures"!  ????    ???? ???????? 

Most American soldiers don't know If they're male or female, black or white  Hispanic or Latino. 

Transgender soldiers are simply a natural progression.

US army has a few maternity hospitals  on military

bases where pregnant soldiers give birth to Universal Soldiers.

Edited by Lucius verus
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

"Pentagon sets limits on transgender troops"

Understandable, imagine a full battalion of transgenders :tongue:

Well I've imagined it and don't see what the problem is.  At least they're willing to serve.  Unlike "Cadet Bone Spurs." 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Well I've imagined it and don't see what the problem is.  At least they're willing to serve.  Unlike "Cadet Bone Spurs." 

Neither did the pentagon before they were ordered to take this brutal move by their draft dodging boss. 

I actually think this is a potent political issue for 2020. 

Most of the transgender troops will be fired.

Some of them are remarkable patriots.

I would like to see them campaign against the clown demagogue that fired them. 

Perhaps call it the Bone Spurs tour. 

I really think the majority of Americans get how unfair this is. 

• Like 1

So if your a ladyboy,ehat uniform do you wear and if you have a man sausage do you sleep with the female soldiers? And in case of a war what prison camp and toilets do you use if taken prisoner,so many problems sweetie

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sweetie?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh, I don't know; if transgenders are joining cos they're patriots, who can argue with that; if they're joining cos they'll get their medical costs paid, not so good. Anyway, I can see why the military is doing it - dire recruitment from the general population and the nature of warfare has changed - a trangender, or a woman, can work a drone as good as the next man, or fill an administrative post The days when your ideal recruit was a young, healthy, heterosexual man straight from the farm are long past. Of course, you'll always need front-line troops who can take ground and special ops, best direct those few suitable recruits you get into this area, and leave the rest in back-up positions. It does beg the question, though, why are people so loathe to join the military. It's something about the perceived culture. I know, as a young man, I was as fit as f@#k, and made some tentative gestures, like getting a red beret in the TA. Between the ages of 18 and 23 I would've loved this, being paid to run around and travel. But something turned me off and made me go a different route. IMHO they need to address this deep issue.

Oh, I don't know; if transgenders are joining cos they're patriots, who can argue with that; if they're joining cos they'll get their medical costs paid, not so good. Anyway, I can see why the military is doing it - dire recruitment from the general population and the nature of warfare has changed - a trangender, or a woman, can work a drone as good as the next man, or fill an administrative post The days when your ideal recruit was a young, healthy, heterosexual man straight from the farm are long past. Of course, you'll always need front-line troops who can take ground and special ops, best direct those few suitable recruits you get into this area, and leave the rest in back-up positions. It does beg the question, though, why are people so loathe to join the military. It's something about the perceived culture. I know, as a young man, I was as fit as f@#k, and made some tentative gestures, like getting a red beret in the TA. Between the ages of 18 and 23 I would've loved this, being paid to run around and travel. But something turned me off and made me go a different route. IMHO they need to address this deep issue.
You seem to be suggesting LGBT people can't be combat troops. Incorrect.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, nausea said:

It does beg the question, though, why are people so loathe to join the military. It's something about the perceived culture. I know, as a young man, I was as fit as f@#k, and made some tentative gestures, like getting a red beret in the TA. Between the ages of 18 and 23 I would've loved this, being paid to run around and travel. But something turned me off and made me go a different route. IMHO they need to address this deep issue.

Likelihood of dying or having your prick or limbs blown off in some shit hole country for a war that has nothing to do with your own country probably has a lot to do with it. USA has a million plus man army, which is ridiculous. The problem is not recruitment but rather the sheer size of the thing. Germans proved in the 1930's what could be done with a 100,000 man army base that you can scale when necessary. Cut the size of the standing army by a tenth (or at the very least, half) and you don't have to worry about accepting ladyboys or ex-cons. 

• Haha 1