Restaurant / Bar In Thailand

Every forum or even OFFICIAL sites arent very exact on what is alowed and what is not.

We are planning to live in, and open a restaurant / bar in Koh Chang where we want to work ourselves among with a Thai staff.

Btw we are fron The Netherlands.....

So can anyone out there tell us EXACT what we need and where we cant get this ???

Thanks anyway for any help.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every forum or even OFFICIAL sites arent very exact on what is alowed and what is not.

We are planning to live in, and open a restaurant / bar in Koh Chang where we want to work ourselves among with a Thai staff.

So can anyone out there tell us EXACT what we need and where we cant get this ???

Impossible for a simple response as every case has so many variables.( Alien Business License or Thai Partners, Limited Company or Limited Partnership)

I would suggest that you visit two other law firms in Thailand and then visit our office. We'll be happy to give you what we feel is the best advice in an hour consultation

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I don't know how well you know Koh Chang, but it is very quiet... And "high" season is only 3-4 months.

Oh, and it rains a lot :D

My Ex-runs a bar in Kae Bae. :o and believe me, it's a struggle... :D

But, there is a lot of development on the island and I'm sure in 5 -10 years it will be busier.

This is the best site about the island, run by an English guy called Ian:

www.iamkohchang.com

Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Good luck :D

RAZZ

We know Koh Chang verry well we come twice a year: in july / august and in December / Januari.

So we know it rains a lot but still we think its a good place to stay in Thailand.

O'kay there arent much bars restaurants and nightlife but it depents on what youre looking for isn't it?

"We think its changing too fast, as the rest of Thailand too go and have a look in chaweng on Koh Samui: it looks like you walk in Spain..... And Lamai on Koh Samui is going the same way...

But thats progress....what can you do?????

btw the first time we went to thailand was about 17 years ago....

We know Koh Chang verry well we come twice a year: in july / august and in December / Januari.

So we know it rains a lot but still we think its a good place to stay in Thailand.

O'kay there arent much bars restaurants and nightlife but it depents on what youre looking for isn't it?

"We think its changing too fast, as the rest of Thailand too go and have a look in chaweng on Koh Samui: it looks like you walk in Spain..... And Lamai on Koh Samui is going the same way...

But thats progress....what can you do?????

btw the first time we went to thailand was about 17 years ago....

I know exactly what you're saying :D

I was just thinking a business will only cover it's costs and give you something to do... :o

No fortunes to be made...Yet :D

RAZZ

Its not our plan to make BIG money (i've got a good running buisiness down here in Holland) but think about it living in Thailand the Thai way you don't need a lot of money.

Its what you want: just a good life.....

Remember the way we work nobody works that way in thailand...

Remember the way we work nobody works that way in thailand...

[\quote]

Hmm, I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land :o Any person that wants to have a successful business in Thailand has to work hard - very hard!

Of course, if you just want to own an empty bar and watch your money disappear, then you should do just fine :D

Simon

theres always a never ending line of would be restaurant owners willing to pour money down the drain

what are you gonna do for the 8 months of the year when tumble weeds are blowing past the venue rather than customers

the fact that you have been coming to thailand for many years on holiday in no way at all prepares you to run a business here at all.

inverst money in Thailand........................... :o

I think that's a usefull company: www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Anyone has expireance with this company ?????

I have used Sunbelt in the past and I used other company's in the past to set up business in Thailand.

Sunbelt gives you the best service you can get. see for your self visit similar company's in bangkok and then go to sunbelt they are very profesional.

I am also from EU the same neighbourhood as you.

as for your plans as you describe that is a different story good luck with it

my 2 cents

I think this forum with all his topics can be a great help i have learned a lot.

Still i think for us Koh chang a good plase to be.

Now the only thing i have to sort out:

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO OWN A BUISINESS 100% ???

(EXCEPT FOR THE LAND)

You want to work yourselves and you want to do it legally (I assume)? ... Then you'll need a workpermit, which means you have to establish an "legal entity" that Thai authorities accept as employer. Sunbelt listed the three options you have for such ones. However, I pretty much doubt you can get an alien business license for running any service business in Thailand but I'm no expert - if Sunbelt says differently, trust him rather than me.

Yes, I have. Well, I haven't bought a business through them (made my service business from scratch) but they set up my company (co., ltd.) better than I knew when they did it. However, on second hand, I know about a few guys that have bought businesses through them and generally you can be sure that transfer of ownership and even bulletproof lease will be well taken care of and done to the legal books ... But, it isn't the business broker's job to do due diligence (spelling?) with respect to wether the business will become profitable --- that'll still remain as your job.

In addition to permitting foreign ownership of land for the purpose of conducting a promoted business, BOI privileges can authorize a foreign owned company to conduct business activities which would otherwise be prohibited under the Alien Business Law. Thus, the indirect impact of the Alien Business Law on foreign land ownership can be reduced under BOI privileges.

Today i got some news from the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands

15 Soi Tonson, Ploenchit Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Voor zover mij bekend komt een 'restaurant/bar' activiteit niet in aanmerking voor BOI promotie.

Aangezien een 'restaurant/bar' activiteit vermeld staat in de Foreign business Act (lijst 3, punt 19), is een buitenlands meerderheidsbelang, zonder uitdrukkelijke toestemming van de Directeur-Generaal van het 'Commercial Registration Department' niet toegestaan (zie Section 8, punt 3).

As translated:

As far as i know a restaurant/bar activity is not a BOI promotion.

In the Foreign business Act List 3 number 19 it says: You cannot own more than 50 % ,

UNLESS the Director-Gereral from Comercial Registration Department grants you...........

So its possible but i think not easy...

Any sugestions ??????

Having your own bar/restaurant is a nice idea but if you're doing things 100% legally and all your competition aren't and so dont have any of the overheads that you do, you're going to have a job making any money unless you are going for the really high end market. Which will lead to another problem - having a good location as wealthier patrons rarely dine in street-side shop units.

I assume you are a Dutch couple......can at least one of you speak and read Thai? If not, you will encounter more problems than a Mongolian couple starting a restaurant in Holland without speaking Dutch, because at least most Dutch people speak a lot of English, which cannot be said of Thai people. I am also Dutch, but I postponed starting my first business in Thailand because I deemed it wise to learn Thai first. Simply didn't wanna be fully dependent on somebody translating/interpreting for me. In case you do master Thai please disregard this post, and good luck to you, Kees.

Edited by keestha

Nobody out there ??? :D

There is a search function on the forum, you may wish to investigate how to use it, or just read a few topics in the last few pages.

You will find;

why sunbelt is highly regarded,

why proposed investments in bars are usually met with derision, even for those with extensive experience

what the requirements are for foreign businesses

what rights you have as a foreign business owner

what to expect when dealing with landlords (search on key-money) and local authorities.

the vagaries of commercial law

you may also want to spend some time in the relevant forum for the area you are looking to operate in

you may also find some research in the visa section time well spent.

and

why it is better to do some research first resulting in structured questions to prevent asinine replies.

(By the way the URL in your comment line is against forum rules unless you are a sponsor. :o )

Nobody out there ??? :D

There is a search function on the forum, you may wish to investigate how to use it, or just read a few topics in the last few pages.

You will find;

why sunbelt is highly regarded,

why proposed investments in bars are usually met with derision, even for those with extensive experience

what the requirements are for foreign businesses

what rights you have as a foreign business owner

what to expect when dealing with landlords (search on key-money) and local authorities.

the vagaries of commercial law

you may also want to spend some time in the relevant forum for the area you are looking to operate in

you may also find some research in the visa section time well spent.

and

why it is better to do some research first resulting in structured questions to prevent asinine replies.

(By the way the URL in your comment line is against forum rules unless you are a sponsor. :o )

Thanks for the advice.......

Btw. i took away the url.....

Yes - Its a business brokerage + legal consulting services firm with I believe American/Thai ownership and management. They assisted me in getting a non-immigrant business visa to explore business oppotunities in Thailand. My overall experience with them has been good, though I haven't actually been to their office or met them in person (only via email).

I assume you are a Dutch couple......can at least one of you speak and read Thai? If not, you will encounter more problems than a Mongolian couple starting a restaurant in Holland without speaking Dutch, because at least most Dutch people speak a lot of English, which cannot be said of Thai people. I am also Dutch, but I postponed starting my first business in Thailand because I deemed it wise to learn Thai first. Simply didn't wanna be fully dependent on somebody translating/interpreting for me. In case you do master Thai please disregard this post, and good luck to you, Kees.

Ha die kees,

Ja wij zijn inderdaad hollands.

We spreken vrijwel geen thais maar voor we iets definitiefs beslissen doen we eerst een cursus Thai, dat kan gewoon hier in holland....

Maar mag je nou eigenlijk een rest/bar van jezelf hebben onder the alian buisiness law ?

( en dus 100 % eigenaar)

Kijk dat je geen land mag bezitten weet ik al maar dat kan je dan toch leasen ?

onze bedoeling is gewoon naar Thailand te gaan en daar toch nog wel te werken want anders verveel je jezelf wel heel snel.

Dit willen we wel doen met een Thai staff:

bijv. 3 x Keukenpers.

3 x bediening.

1 x manager.

1 x boekhouder.

1 x advokaat.

Rest / Bar met ca 40 tot 60 plaatsen in Koh Chang........

Gr. Edwin & Annemarie.

Sorry i din't know...

But it only repeats the origional question of this topic in dutch as you know and now the rest knows no harm done i hope.....

btw i send you a email on your hotmail account...

(i'm new here and i'm still learning)

Everyone makes mistakes but the one who learnes from his mistakes is one step beyond ( Madness long time ago a good band)

Hello!

You will always have trouble finding out what can and cannot be done here, so be careful and go slow. Laws are open to "interpretation" and one government official may tell you one thing and when you go back the next day another will tell you something different. If you go to two lawyers they may very well tell you two different things.

Also do you have experience in the food & beverage business? This is maybe the most difficult of all business sectors, even in your home country. Here it can make you crazy. Simple things that you would take for granted at home will not happen like that here. This is why there are always dozens of bars and restaurants for sale or just going out of business in Thailand.

I am not saying don't do it, just keep your eyes wide open and your hand on your wallet!

1. Only bring to Thailand what you can afford to lose!

2. If you want to make a small fortune, bring a large one.

3. Lots of luck and trustworthy people on your side.

If any of these three key areas are deficient then seriously reconsider your options.

Edited by JimsKnight

okay we have got a lot of sceptic people out here...

But lets talk about some facts.....

what is it you want????????

DO YOU want to be a milionaire????

Or do you want to work and make a little bit of money so you can live in THAILAND and have a good life????

For us we know a lot of Thai and some of them are releilble to work with ( some of them not)

Thats NOT the problem...

The only thing we want is to work same as American people can do...

How do i say in english:

We are willing to take buisiness risk but not ownership risk........