Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Hundreds of thousands march in London to demand new Brexit referendum

rooster59

Hundreds of thousands march in London to demand new Brexit referendum

By Andrew MacAskill and Alistair Smout

800x800 (1).jpg

EU supporters, calling on the government to give Britons a vote on the final Brexit deal, participate in the 'People's Vote' march in central London, Britain March 23, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of people opposed to Britain's withdrawal from the European Union marched through central London on Saturday to demand a new referendum as the deepening Brexit crisis risked sinking Prime Minister Theresa May's premiership.

After three years of tortuous debate, it is still uncertain how, when or even if Brexit will happen as May tries to plot a way out of the gravest political crisis in at least a generation.

Marchers set off in central London with banners proclaiming "the best deal is no Brexit" and "we demand a People's Vote" in what organisers said was more than one million people strong and the biggest anti-Brexit protest yet.

"I would feel differently if this was a well-managed process and the government was taking sensible decisions. But it is complete chaos," Gareth Rae, 59, who travelled from Bristol to attend the demonstration, told Reuters.

"The country will be divided whatever happens and it is worse to be divided on a lie."

While the country and its politicians are divided over Brexit, most agree it is the most important strategic decision the United Kingdom has faced since World War Two.

Thousands of pro-EU protesters gathered for the "Put it to the people march" at Marble Arch on the edge of Hyde Park around midday, before marching through the landmarks Picadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square and past the prime minister's office in Downing Street to finish outside parliament.

March organisers estimated that more than one million people turned out for the march, exceeding a similar rally held in October, when supporters said about 700,000 people turned up.

It was not possible to independently verify the figure, although a Reuters reporter said the march was so busy that some of the crowd had to be diverted off the main route. Police declined to give an estimate on the number of protesters.

The one million estimate would make it London's second biggest demonstration after a rally against the Iraq War in February 2003, which organisers said close to 2 million people attended.

"NEVER GONNA GIVE EU UP"

A range of politicians, including from the governing Conservative Party, addressed a crowd, which packed out Parliament Square and left some unable to get near.

Among them was Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson, who swung behind a People's Vote on May's deal despite party leader Jeremy Corbyn's reticence on the issue, and Scottish National Party leader Nicola Sturgeon.

Phoebe Poole, 18, who was holding a placard saying "never gonna give EU up" in reference to a song by 1980s popstar Rick Astley, was not old enough to vote in the 2016 referendum.

"We have come here today because we feel like our future has been stolen from us. It is our generation that is going to have to live with the consequences of this disaster," she told Reuters.

"It is going to make it harder to get a job. You are already seeing a lot of large companies leaving. I am worried about the future."

Two hundred coaches from around Britain were booked to take people to London for the march.

A petition to cancel Brexit altogether gained 4.39 million signatures in just three days after May told the public "I am on your side" over Brexit and urged lawmakers to get behind her deal.

But protesters disagreed with May's claim that she is on the side of the British public, with one placard reading: "You do not speak for us Theresa."

In the June 23, 2016 referendum, 17.4 million voters, or 52 percent, backed Brexit while 16.1 million, or 48 percent, backed staying in the bloc.

But ever since, opponents of Brexit have been exploring ways to hold another referendum. Some opinion polls have shown a slight shift in favour of remaining in the European Union, but there has yet to be sustained evidence of a decisive change in attitudes.

May has repeatedly ruled out holding another Brexit referendum, saying it would deepen divisions and undermine support for democracy. Brexit supporters say a second referendum would trigger a major constitutional crisis.

Those favouring Britain remaining in the EU say Brexit will bring economic hardship and disrupt trade, as well as an end to many social benefits, including the right to live and work in 27 other countries.

Supporters of Brexit say the divorce might bring some short-term instability, but in the longer term Britain will thrive if cut free from what they cast as a doomed experiment in German-dominated unity that is falling far behind other major powers.

"We already put it to the people. And the people roared," pro-leave group Change Britain said in a tweet.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-24

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all means have a referendum, however discount a remain option from the ballot paper as that was discounted in 2016 and the leave result hasn't yet been honoured.

The referendum should pertain to the terms of any future exit plan.

25 minutes ago, z42 said:

By all means have a referendum, however discount a remain option from the ballot paper as that was discounted in 2016 and the leave result hasn't yet been honoured.

The referendum should pertain to the terms of any future exit plan.

It can't be honoured. The promises of the Brexit campaign of an orderly, agreed exit that was beneficial to the UK has proved impossible to deliver. The various fractions in parliament and the EU are at a complete impasse. Let the people sort it out for them, as it was the people who got us into this mess in the first place.

Have a referendum to tell the government how to sort this mess out.

No deal is the best option. As long as the UK and EU are negotiating a free trade agreement under WTO rules they can keep trading at zero tariffs for 10 years until they sort out the details. It’s clear that Germany doesn’t want a complete break, so after no-deal, they would push for a new trade agreement as quickly as possible. Leaving on WTO terms on 29 March is the only honourable way out for Theresa May. And Britain will be in a better position to navigate its own future.

5 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

No deal is the best option. As long as the UK and EU are negotiating a free trade agreement under WTO rules they can keep trading at zero tariffs for 10 years until they sort out the details. It’s clear that Germany doesn’t want a complete break, so after no-deal, they would push for a new trade agreement as quickly as possible. Leaving on WTO terms on 29 March is the only honourable way out for Theresa May. And Britain will be in a better position to navigate its own future.

Absolutely the best option if you want to see the economy crash, large scale unemployment and many small businesses go to the wall.

21 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

A flawed opinion poll that was only set up to stop the Tory party from imploding.

That went well didn't it?

Ah that old chestnut "a flawed opinion poll" would it have been flawed should the result have gone the way of the remainers. 

15 minutes ago, Topdoc said:

You are perfectly entitled to argue in favour of no-deal. What you and the other Hard Brexiteers are not entitled to do is to say that no-deal is the only option for Brexit.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Absolutely the best option if you want to see the economy crash, large scale unemployment and many small businesses go to the wall.

That was the same mantra from George Osborne on the day after if we vote leave. it is getting tiresome and frankly people know it was lies then and will be again.

Economy crash, large scale unemployment. Please we have heard it all before and seem to get a barrage of it every week from the newspapers and media. Sadly it seems some believe everything they read in the Guardian and Independent newspapers and what the BBC peddle out, as news.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You are perfectly entitled to argue in favour of no-deal. What you and the other Hard Brexiteers are not entitled to do is to say that no-deal is the only option for Brexit.

To actually leave the EU, as we voted for leaving the CU, SM ECJ that is exactly what is the only option now. Thanks to TM. So yes I am entitled to, thank you very much.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Unfortunately there is no majority for the terms of Brexit. And that is why we are where we are.

You are 100% correct, but that still doesn't mean we should give up on the democratic referendum result. Many see that shacking up at J P Junckers Halfway house not an option.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That was the same mantra from George Osborne on the day after if we vote leave. it is getting tiresome and frankly people know it was lies then and will be again.

Economy crash, large scale unemployment. Please we have heard it all before and seem to get a barrage of it every week from the newspapers and media. Sadly it seems some believe everything they read in the Guardian and Independent newspapers and what the BBC peddle out, as news.

Well, personally, I'd rather rely on the predictions of the world's leading economists than rely on Nigel Farage, spouting BS after buying me a pint in Spoonies with his EU salary, soon to be pension.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

To actually leave the EU, as we voted for leaving the CU, SM ECJ that is exactly what is the only option now. Thanks to TM. So yes I am entitled to, thank you very much.

Here we go again. That lie about Brexit = no-deal only.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well, personally, I'd rather rely on the predictions of the world's leading economists than rely on Nigel Farage, spouting BS after buying me a pint in Spoonies with his EU salary, soon to be pension.

These same economists that George Osborne used. So come on what happened then to the economy and mass unemployment. :coffee1:

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

You are 100% correct, but that still doesn't mean we should give up on the democratic referendum result. Many see that shacking up at J P Junckers Halfway house not an option.

The options for the terms of Brexit available are those that the House of Commons may resolve upon, not those defined by Hard Brexiteers.

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Actually the signs are becoming increasingly clear that the EU is heading for an economic crash. Two days ago it was reported that, in Europe's largest economy Germany, factory orders deteriorated to the greatest extent since the height of the global financial crisis. This is the news coming out right now!

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

The options for the terms of Brexit available are those that the House of Commons may resolve upon, not those defined by Hard Brexiteers.

But your definition of a hard brexiteer differs from most peoples, hard brexiteers in parliament are the MPs that want to give the electorate what they voted for and by definition are the only true believers in democracy.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

But your definition of a hard brexiteer differs from most peoples, hard brexiteers in parliament are the MPs that want to give the electorate what they voted for and by definition are the only true believers in democracy.

I fail to see the need to sub-classify a Brexiteer.

I am a Brexiteer, neither hard nor soft, I put my X in the box that said Leave.

Simples. 

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I fail to see the need to sub-classify a Brexiteer.

I am a Brexiteer, neither hard nor soft, I put my X in the box that said Leave.

Simples. 

It is a tactic used by babies when they don't get their own, they will scream and name call untill mother finally gives into them.

From a reporter who was there. Sorry you need a VPN in Thailand but it isn't a bad read IMHO. I have only taken snippets of the full article.

We were told, breathlessly, that the initial count showed more than a million people were marching. The biggest protest march in UK history!

But, well, it wouldn’t be the first time such figures have been inflated. Let’s not forget the second Brexit referendum march in October 2018, which organisers claimed had more than 700,000 marchers, when the Greater London Authority put the number at a far more realistic 250,000.

Sophisticated analysis by the website countingcrowds.co.uk, using images of October’s march, suggested the true number was closer to 82,000. Should the same apply to yesterday’s rally, there might have been as few as 120,000 on the streets.

Of course, many Remainers came across as rational in their protests – they adore the EU and don’t want to leave. But a lot appeared to have completely lost the plot. There was, for instance, the man whose placard read: ‘If Brexit is the will of the people, then I’m a giraffe’. He wore a plastic giraffe mask.

This was strangely reassuring – the country may be divided, but at least we’re not thumping each other. Yet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6843347/CHARLOTTE-GILL-attends-Peoples-Vote-march-EU-sual-suspects-armed-Waitrose-picnics.html

31 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

These same economists that George Osborne used. So come on what happened then to the economy and mass unemployment. :coffee1:

Have we crashed out yet? Did I miss that?

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

From a reporter who was there. Sorry you need a VPN in Thailand but it isn't a bad read IMHO. I have only taken snippets of the full article.

We were told, breathlessly, that the initial count showed more than a million people were marching. The biggest protest march in UK history!

But, well, it wouldn’t be the first time such figures have been inflated. Let’s not forget the second Brexit referendum march in October 2018, which organisers claimed had more than 700,000 marchers, when the Greater London Authority put the number at a far more realistic 250,000.

Sophisticated analysis by the website countingcrowds.co.uk, using images of October’s march, suggested the true number was closer to 82,000. Should the same apply to yesterday’s rally, there might have been as few as 120,000 on the streets.

Of course, many Remainers came across as rational in their protests – they adore the EU and don’t want to leave. But a lot appeared to have completely lost the plot. There was, for instance, the man whose placard read: ‘If Brexit is the will of the people, then I’m a giraffe’. He wore a plastic giraffe mask.

This was strangely reassuring – the country may be divided, but at least we’re not thumping each other. Yet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6843347/CHARLOTTE-GILL-attends-Peoples-Vote-march-EU-sual-suspects-armed-Waitrose-picnics.html

...and “they” call Brixiteers stupid ????????????

The fact remains that the country is divided and I respect the fact that many Brits opted to remain under EU control. However, a majority voted to Leave and I detest the fact that many wish to see that democratic result overturned because it doesn’t suit them. 

Archived