Suggestions to buy a house in Chiang Mai for around 1-3 mil baht?

steve654

On 3/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, steve654 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!  Yes, I think it would be better to actually go there and look around more to see how we feel.  I didn't know CM was so crowded and that the dirty air lasts so long.  We have relatives in Prachuap Khiri Khan and they keep telling us it's much nicer down there, so I would say right now I am at the confused state.  I did go to PKK and it was nice, but I felt like the only white guy there and it was an odd feeling for sure.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:07 AM, steve654 said:

Nobody smiles in Mae Phim either, it was really strange.

The further you are into a Thai area, the more smiles you will see. I spent a fair amt of time recently looking at properties in the CM area. The market is odd at best. Tons on the market, it is definitely a buyer's market, and yet, prices seem high, not much is selling and people don't want to compromise much... normal "market factors" are not working... and 3MM will not buy much esp if you want some land with it...

pm me if you want more specific info...

On 3/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, steve654 said:

I did go to PKK and it was nice, but I felt like the only white guy there and it was an odd feeling for sure.

I'm in PKK right now and you have absolutely zero chance of being "the only white guy" here. I have been visiting here for 9 years and back when I first came across Prachuap yes you would have been one of the few but last 3-4 years this place has really caught on with foreign tourists. Just on the promenade last night there had to be 100 foreign folks feasting but mostly tourists passing through no doubt.

Resident expats? Less than 100 would be my guess maybe even less than 50 but there are guest houses, German and Italian restaurants and a burger bar all run by expats and even came across a pizza place run by a Rasta looking bloke last night so easy options exist to introduce yourself. 

What would you be lacking? Schools maybe but HH is an hour away as are private hospitals. No airport but bus and train connections to Bangkok take less than 4 hours. There is an excellent gym (these Prachuap folks are fitness mad) out by the main drag where there is also a pool I'm told. Lotus on the highway has MK/KFC/cinema and other delights plus Prachuap FC are presently top of the premier league and if you seriously screw up you don't have to go far as there is a prison right in town the inside of which I have yet to see.

As you mentioned Chiang Mai the 2.5 pollution level here presently reads 37 but that's courtesy of heavy rains this morning and a more typical reading this time of year would be in the 80 range.

Up to you as they say.

20 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And visit an astrologer - see if the stars reveal when a Karaoke bar will open ...

How can you predict the Future ? What is fine now may not be next week - month - year - 2 years ...

Due diligence is all well and good, but that takes care of today only.

Want peace and quiet - Guaranteed ? Buy 50 Rai, construct a road to the dead centre of it, and build away

I originally lived in a house that was beautiful had a great view of the mountain and was peaceful near Chiang Mai University.

10 years later I had to move out because the streets had become so busy with bars students traffic etc I couldn't sleep at night anymore.

Because of that I made sure to build a new house on a dead-end street with only three houses on it. I know the families around me and there's no possibility for them making any kind of business because of the narrow Dead end Street with no traffic and no possibility to park anywhere.

17 hours ago, Mahseer said:

I'm in PKK right now and you have absolutely zero chance of being "the only white guy" here. I have been visiting here for 9 years and back when I first came across Prachuap yes you would have been one of the few but last 3-4 years this place has really caught on with foreign tourists. Just on the promenade last night there had to be 100 foreign folks feasting but mostly tourists passing through no doubt.

Resident expats? Less than 100 would be my guess maybe even less than 50 but there are guest houses, German and Italian restaurants and a burger bar all run by expats and even came across a pizza place run by a Rasta looking bloke last night so easy options exist to introduce yourself. 

What would you be lacking? Schools maybe but HH is an hour away as are private hospitals. No airport but bus and train connections to Bangkok take less than 4 hours. There is an excellent gym (these Prachuap folks are fitness mad) out by the main drag where there is also a pool I'm told. Lotus on the highway has MK/KFC/cinema and other delights plus Prachuap FC are presently top of the premier league and if you seriously screw up you don't have to go far as there is a prison right in town the inside of which I have yet to see.

As you mentioned Chiang Mai the 2.5 pollution level here presently reads 37 but that's courtesy of heavy rains this morning and a more typical reading this time of year would be in the 80 range.

Up to you as they say.

sounds good but that 80 reading is not a good sign.... I think better to go further south for better air...

5 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

sounds good but that 80 reading is not a good sign.... I think better to go further south for better air...

It's 54 here this morning and similar figure down the coast so maybe I got it wrong. 

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And visit an astrologer - see if the stars reveal when a Karaoke bar will open ...

How can you predict the Future ? What is fine now may not be next week - month - year - 2 years ...

Want peace and quiet - Guaranteed ? Buy 50 Rai, construct a road to the dead centre of it, and build away

Doesn't Thailand have controlled areas where you drive through a gate where all houses have some type of similar standard so that one does not have to worry about bars etc opening up right next door?

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

This is precisely what happened to me!  The hotel next door started having Kareoke nights with 100 decibel sound levels and huge coaches parking in our access road.  We could do absolutely nothing about it except move.

Rent don't buy.

For example, if you invest 3 million baht at 5% (shares not bank deposit) you will receive 12,500 baht a month income.  You still have your capital and the income will easily cover the monthly rent in the areas you are considering. 

Getting harder to get a VISA these days with more changes on the way, more watching from immigration.

The air is so bad I haven't been out for three weeks now.

I bought for 1.8M, nice house (3bed, 3shower), well built, no noise, no foreigners, and wish I hadn't.

Rent for 6 mths in any area you choose.Most houses will have a for sale/rent sign on the front gate.

After 6 mths you will know if its for you, if its not repeat the same in an area you have found that meets your requirements 

Archived