Immigration proposes much harsher penalties for failing to report foreigners staying in Thailand

webfact

On 3/28/2019 at 8:15 AM, 5633572526 said:

Can’t speak for Laos and have no desire to ever visit China but my 1 year tourist visa to Vietnam did not require any reporting or contact with immigration. Visa granted over the internet while I was here in Thailand Visa was put in my passport at the airport upon arrival so maybe you can count that as 1 contact but that is it for the past year.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:18 AM, Lee4Life said:

Laos, Vietnam, China.....and what do you suppose those countries all have in common?

Myanmar anyone?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, steve187 said:

Ok so tm30's and tm28's and 90 day reporting tm47's, aint great and can be a real pain to have to do, exp for someone living a long way from their local immigration, or for someone renting and the owner wanting little to do with any government department,( if the landlord is a pain then move somewhere where they will comply), but its not hard to follow the rules, its their country,  arrive in Thailand next working day do the tm30, 89 days later do a 90 day report, or do it on line. repeat next entry into Thailand, any holiday trips within Thailand get the wife to register at the hotel, 

tm30's if no need to visit immigration during your stay don't do it, but the people that are required do the reporting should be chased up and fined, if its the new 10,000 baht then so be it

but as for normal tourists, then the tm30 is a real mess as they are unaware of the requirement, and only find out when applying for an extension, so maybe a check sheet as someone suggested earlier would be a good idea, printed on the rear of the tm7. ie tm30 rule, tm47 rule etc.

I thought I picked up the fine is 2K for house owner (wife), but 10K if it is business type (renting out a house/unit, etc).  We're gonna let it ride.. consensus says that once you do submit the TM30 (after your initial submission), you'll be in the system and under their radar... let's see how this mess shakes out.. seems they like to stir the pot to make themselves feel important at times.  

I think the U.S. could learn a thing or two from immigration trackin ideas here... we (all) know it's coming with AI.. just a matter of time. I don't have an issue of anyone knowing where I am, I just don't want to be bothered with unintelligent (not thought out) process that impeded our lives... 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:36 AM, zappalot said:

In neither of these countries my airbnb hosts ever wanted to see anything from me, no passports and no nothing. So obviously reporting is not enforced (last stay in Guangdong province just 12 days ago)...

AirBnb itself sends your information to Chinese Authorities using the information you provided when you booked your stay. They even turn over all messages you and the host exchanged. The rules are absolutely enforced in China as smaller hotels in outlying areas will often not even accept foreigners because the lack of a Chinese Identity Card makes it difficult for them to enter you in to the system. Thailand's system isn't any more strict then their Asian peers. The problem is more about disorganization and efficiency. Vietnam's online easy and efficient Visa system in particular really puts Thailand to shame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 6:25 AM, Destiny1990 said:

If locals also need to report at an immigration office soon as they leave their hometown for longer than 24 hours than its fair but now it is far from fair!

I asked at my local immigration office about this. They said even if you book hotel in Thailand we don't care only if you leave Thailand you have to report your address again or if you change where you live. (nothaburi immigration)

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I asked at my local immigration office about this. They said even if you book hotel in Thailand we don't care only if you leave Thailand you have to report your address again or if you change where you live. (nothaburi immigration)

Well but because hotels will automatically do the 24 hour notification.

but if u would go to a friend in example Samui stay in his house for 2 weeks visit than i think need to do a notification or the house owner needs to do ..

annyway its an confusing and a hassle the rule its unclear and it only target foreigner tourists. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

same in Phuket... even if you do an overnighter at a hospital or hotel... you must report within 24 hours (assinine). So if you arrive on a Friday night, and immigration is closed on Saturday... guess what... 

1 minute ago, johnc925 said:

same in Phuket... even if you do an overnighter at a hospital or hotel... you must report within 24 hours (assinine). So if you arrive on a Friday night, and immigration is closed on Saturday... guess what... 

I said we DONT have to do that here in nothaburi.

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well but because hotels will automatically do the 24 hour notification.

but if u would go to a friend in example Samui stay in his house for 2 weeks visit than i think need to do a notification or the house owner needs to do ..

annyway its an confusing and a hassle the rule its unclear and it only target foreigner tourists. 

I have had my parents here and never reported them never a problem. I would not worry too much. They only check this with 90 day reports. There are no home  checks.

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have had my parents here and never reported them never a problem. I would not worry too much. They only check this with 90 day reports. There are no home  checks.

I don’t worry but if such topics coming up I complain because it’s not transparent and creating just more hassle.

Take a TM 28 to the police station and watch the confused looks.
[/
When I visit my gf family home near Phen I too enjoyed the look at confusion at the local police station on my first visit when I presented the form but to be fair they are now used to seeing me and stamp and give me the receipt then I am happy with that
What they then do with the paperwork is not important as I have the official stamp on the receipt confirming that I reported
We do not make a special trip to Phen we just submit the form when we are in town and put the current days date on it
Obviously they or immigration have no idea when we traveled from bkk so personally I don’t see it as a major hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, johnc925 said:

... so how to meet this requirement if you are lying in coma in a hospital and/or are in police custody?

On 3/27/2019 at 10:20 PM, rabas said:

That's unlikely because the current  house-master, owner reporting requirements  are specified in the Thai Immigration Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) forty years ago.

Yes, when there were only about 27 foreigners living in the country...

It is outdated bureaucratic paper chasing, designed to keep otherwise unemployable immigration clerks in a job.

Strange how (foreign) criminals get to evade the authorities for years when they have such foolproof measures?

On 3/26/2019 at 4:13 AM, jonclark said:

What I do not understand is that in most countries a visa / or extension is permission to stay in that country period - you do not need to go running around telling people where you are. It is just a massive invasion of privacy.

The first time I heard of it was when I arrived at an hotel in Amsterdam, in 1980.

India has it too.

iirc, Serbia.....not sure, Georgia...? 

iow, many, if not most.

The only country in Sth East Asia that treats foreigners like dirt and thinks its doing a great job, compared to the Philippines or Cambodia,  Thailand's immigration laws are the worst you could ever meet, its a miracle any foreigners bothers to stay.

12 minutes ago, chainarong said:

The only country in Sth East Asia that treats foreigners like dirt and thinks its doing a great job, compared to the Philippines or Cambodia,  Thailand's immigration laws are the worst you could ever meet, its a miracle any foreigners bothers to stay.

The older ones that have been here for a longer time and have roots are likely to stay, with all the hassle. Not all of them though.

The young ones are more likely to think like someone I know (24), that taught English for one or two years, then said, i quote, "vacation is over", and went back to the UK.

4 hours ago, Cat ji said:

The first time I heard of it was when I arrived at an hotel in Amsterdam, in 1980.

India has it too.

iirc, Serbia.....not sure, Georgia...? 

iow, many, if not most.

I've travelled all over the place and never heard of any rule like this, that a foreigner has to report themselves, within 24 hours or indeed at all. Can't comment on Eastern Europe much, but it's certainly not required in Amsterdam or in India. 

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I've travelled all over the place and never heard of rule like this, that a foreigner has to report themselves, within 24 hours or indeed at all. Can't comment on Eastern Europe much, but it's certainly not required in Amsterdam or in India. 

I can confirm that this rule doesnt exist in Eastern Europe at least not enforced … :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

It just shows how naive TI really are with their continued track on wanting to know where every foreigner is 24/7... perhaps North Korea is the only other country who are in-line with this stupidity.

They are just spreading there love and respect to all others.

Feel the deep love 24/7,  Welcome to Thailand. foreigner.  :bah:

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

They are just spreading there love and respect to all others.

Feel the deep love 24/7,  Welcome to Thailand. foreigner.  :bah:

With other Words - if you hunger after attention then LOS is the Place … :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, ttrd said:

... so how to meet this requirement if you are lying in coma in a hospital and/or are in police custody?

Bangkok hospital Khon Kaen does not report you. I stayed there for 8 days and they never reported me staying there. Immigration said they didn't care anyway since I never left the country.

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

The article indicates this being targeted at illegal workers,  catch 100 illegals each fined a few hundred Baht, you get the picture. Forget the nobs who imported and exploited them. 

I think you are getting close to the real truth when you mention "nobs". This policy decision was about the last hurrah of Big Joke before being removed from office.

He formed the committee which decided to introduce the much harsher penalties and harassment, not only for illegals but for employers who sidestepped the compliance requirements and had a good thing going with masses if inbound of cheap labour. 

Many of these illegals form the basis of the Thai underground workforce and many of the large employers would have been seriously affected by any shortfall and heavy penalties brought on by the new laws. 

I am guessing this caused the commercial "nobs" (envelope providers to the junta) much displeasure, inconvenience and loss of money and that complaints were made to friendly military "nobs" to get Big Joke off their back. The "nobs" you refer to are a protected species because of their wealth. This decision by Big Joke was the final straw.

Just another theory about Big Joke's removal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 5:52 AM, pattayadgw said:

It just shows how naive TI really are with their continued track on wanting to know where every foreigner is 24/7... perhaps North Korea is the only other country who are in-line with this stupidity.

I suspect this is likely the direction many countries will eventually turn to as civil unrest will perpetuate even more tracking technologies. The US policies in the past have (likely) been the laughing stock of immigration examples.  As an American, I applaud the current efforts, though painful, that has been sorely needed for a long time.
I personally don't have an issue with being tracked by a system, as I've nothing to hide.  However, the process should be simple, convenient, and not harassment to those of us spending our hard-earned retirement monies here.

In my own experiences here, I've witnessed serious requirement inconsistencies between immigration offices.  One that completely miffs me as totally unreasonable are the requests for TM30 to file within 24 hours... the requirement is beyond assinine, especially for vetted retirees, spouses, or others authorized to live here.  A filing requirement of the TM30 within a week would be much more reasonable...  IMHO, of course 

Archived