Students launch impeachment campaign against Election Commission

webfact

Students launch impeachment campaign against Election Commission

asdo.jpg

Students from nine of Thailand’s universities have launched a signature-collection campaign to demand the impeachment of the Election Commission (EC), accusing it of mishandling the March 24th general election resulting in alleged poll irregularities.

Calling themselves “The new generation people for social change”, the students have invited members of the public, including students, to sign up in support of impeachment via the www.change.org website. By noon today it is reported that more than 796,000 people have signed up via the website. In the meantime, tables have been erected on campuses of the nine universities for students to sign up.

The nine universities taking part in the impeachment campaign include Chulalongkorn, Thammasat (Rangsit campus), King Mongkut Institute of Technology (Thon Buri campus), Kasetsart (Bang Khen campus), Chiang Mai, Naresuan, Burapha, Prince of Songkhla (Pattani campus) and Rajabhat Rachanakharin.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/students-launch-impeachment-campaign-against-election-commission/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-03-29

11 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

{snipped}

Anyone who studies politics and history of Asia understands that student protests are almost always the harbinger of political change.

If the students mobilize, then we are in for VERY interesting times.

Go Students Go!

It does seem there is some 'critical thinking' going on there.

I'd love to see Prayut try to use his his earlier quote of 'stay fit by exercising on regular basis and to take a rest' condescending phrase on the students.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What good kids.  Hope their parents are proud of them. 

I wish them luck but they are up against it.

The Teflon Don has more hide than a herd of elephants and all government agencies are full of his hand picked cronies and sycophants who if push comes to shove are not afraid to use live rounds to quell opposition.

The junta are not going to let go as the result of anything as trivial as an election.

Once again blood will have to flow to effect any change and even this will be difficult as  the same people who supported Suthep will support any crackdown on dissent .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It does seem there is some 'critical thinking' going on there.

I'd love to see Prayut try to use his his earlier quote of 'stay fit by exercising on regular basis and to take a rest' condescending phrase on the students.

Exercise and rest sounds a bit like hurry up and wait. ????

Too many incompetent people in positions of power here....and I mean ACROSS THE BOARD. The old boy network needs to be swept away, people need to be given opportunities based purely on merit (I know that is still a problem in the West at times, thank you). If I were a young, worldly wise...ish Thai uni student I would be thoroughly peed off with the way this country is heading. It seems Thailand is going the way of Burma...Burma with McDonald's. Problem with Thailand is that they have let to much of the outside world infiltrate their society (good and bad) ...they have left their run too late. They should have tried this 20 years ago. Kids are too connected these days, too much travel, too many challenging  ideas, too many friends in other countries, too many mixed couples.......no, too late. I hope the kids stick it to them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Calling themselves “The new generation people for social change”, the students have invited members of the public, including students, to sign up in support of impeachment via the www.change.org website. By noon today it is reported that more than 796,000 people have signed up via the website. In the meantime, tables have been erected on campuses of the nine universities for students to sign up.

Excellent news, about time the students who in the main are the most oppressed age group can stand together & challenge the dictatorship. The younger generation do not want another 5 years of being told what to do, or when to do it.

I can imagine what a million or two students would look like in a peaceful street march through Bangkok.

It would give the Junta an idea that they may have rigged this years election, but come the next one everyone of those student will be voting against them !

• Like 2

Students today, if not currently voters many will be shortly. 

The wing clipped general needs to step lightly at the moment as you don't have to be a voter to be an effective and forceful protester. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Many more than just students can see through the BS, its just that the students currently have more guts then the general population to stand up and be counted. Mind you I just hope that the body bag count which no doubt will occur under the Junta/Elite/Backers rule over their fiefdoms will not be as high as 1976 or even 2010.  A warning to all nurses not to visit Wats, especially in Bangkok as guess who was in charge of the army during that those killings ?

And you know who's name will rightfully be on every body bag. Decency says own the fact that you 1) lost 2) got caught cheating.

"Return happiness to the people". Get out now. You've scammed billions, what more do you want?

On 3/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Students from nine of Thailand’s universities have launched a signature-collection campaign to demand the impeachment of the Election Commission (EC), accusing it of mishandling the March 24th general election resulting in alleged poll irregularities..."

Anyone who studies politics and history of Asia understands that student protests are almost always the harbinger of political change.

If the students mobilize, then we are in for VERY interesting times.

Go Students Go!

I have the same opinion and hope you are making an accurate prediction. The problem is the that the race has been run, but making a change now would give us hope for the future.