Philippines Thai driving license

cerox

Hello guys,

I did not find an answer to my question online.

I have Thai driving licenses for motorbike and car. As far as I know they can be converted to a Filipino one if you live there.

Planning a trip there later this year my question as a tourist is can I use my Thai license e.g. for renting a motorbike or will the police fine me?

When I extended my license there was an advertisement the license is valid in ASEAN countries, so also in VIetnam, Philippines and other countries.

Does anybody have real life experience whether Philippine authorities accepted your Thai license?

Thank you.

The IDP: should I get it from the Transport department in Thailand for the Thai driving license?

Or better an IDP from my home country for a EU driving license (surely more expensive:) )?

I already expected this "agreement" just to be marketing; it sounded to good to be true:

https://asean.org/?static_post=agreement-on-the-recognition-of-domestic-driving-licences-issued-by-asean-countries-kuala-lumpur-9-july-1985

Also in Da Nang I could have used my Thai license in the same way.

Philippines did not accept my thai DL.

My DL from country of birth was accepted for limited time only (Years ago).

Doubt land transportation office in Thailand will issue a international DL to a foreigner, they are supposed to be issued in your country of origin. Ask them.

I applied for PH DL years ago, when it was 'easier'.

Many checkpoints here in Philippines, so be sure you have your documents in order, before you start driving.

Without accepted DL, or without helmet, or with slippers, or with shorts in many areas, fines will be issued.

Do not try to bribe the officers. You will be in a hot place if you do.

Without vehicle registration, 'for registration' only, checkpoint will impound the vehicle. Again, don't attempt to bribe the officers.

Visit the local LTO office here with a local friend, to ask for the local requirements for foreigners, and speed up the process. It's often not done in a day, drug test, written test for some, driving test for others.

If involved in a accident here, you will be found guilty, even if you was rear ended. Sound familiar, doesn't it.

You will be required to pay for the other party vehicle repair, and hospital expences as well!

Traffic flow here is much slower than in Thailand, and when it often rains, traffic move in less than 30 km/h.

Your options:

1. Get a internation DL from country of birth, same country your passport.

2. Apply for a local DL here, if you plan to stay longer.

3. Don't drive here, if you only plan a shorter stay.

Meter taxi is so cheap.

Regards

ExpatPH