Nasal Inhalers - Very Popular

Richb2004v2

Is there some sort of flue epidemic doing the rounds? Everywhere folk seem to be ramming nasal inhalers up there noses. They seem to be of the ‘Vicks Synex’ type of thing. It’s quite unsettling to be served in a shop by a girl with a small white tube stuck up her nose.

I’m sure that I recently saw a group of girls with more than one of them sniffing at one of these things. Does anyone know a person that is using one? Is it usually because the person is suffering from nasal congestion, or is it simply because they find it pleasant? I remember using them as a kid, but don’t remember particularly enjoying it.

Is there some sort of flue epidemic doing the rounds? Everywhere folk seem to be ramming nasal inhalers up there noses. They seem to be of the ‘Vicks Synex’ type of thing. It’s quite unsettling to be served in a shop by a girl with a small white tube stuck up her nose.

I’m sure that I recently saw a group of girls with more than one of them sniffing at one of these things. Does anyone know a person that is using one? Is it usually because the person is suffering from nasal congestion, or is it simply because they find it pleasant? I remember using them as a kid, but don’t remember particularly enjoying it.

Coke dispensers :o

Johnb

I first thought that when i went to Thailand to does everyone here have acold lol , but then i soon found out the reason why. Its the smell of the city, in some parts of bkk it can get quite bad that bad infact i have even got myself one .

Edited by deon

I first thought that when i went to Thailand to does everyone here have acold lol , but then i soon found out the reason why. Its the smell of the city, in some parts of bkk it can get quite bad that bad infact i have even got myself one .

I was told by a doctor friend that they contain a mild dose of benzedrine.

Are you telling us that you do NOT have one................

Buy one immediately. :D

I would suggest buying two otherwise his head will tilt while walking around and the result will be a sore neck. :o

One each side looks better, too, IMHO.

Maybe they are the next fashion accessory? Saw some western lass with a sniffle and thought 'I go buy plastic stick to go with pot of talc powder'

Read somewhere that teeth braces are very fashionable amoung the girls too

Cant see the appeal myself, not unless they're wore with pigtails/white blouse/pleated mini skirt :o

i first bought one of these inhalers over 15 years ago when i wanted to stop smoking,i had seen many thai girls using the inhalers so i thought if i could break the habit every time i wanted a smoke and have a sniff on the inhaler it might stop me from smoking,at first i would have a sniff maybe 50 times a day but i slowley weaned myself off them

now after over 15 years without smoking thanks 100% to the inhaler i

MUST still carry one with me but now its only a couple of times a month that i use it

please dont knock them,if you want to quit smoking try my way

My first month in Thailand, I was given a very expensive one as a gift--real silver casing, ornately adorned, shorter and thicker than the average inhalers.

I didn't know what it was for, so I kept it as a nic-nac on the shelf in my study.

A couple years later a Thai friend came over, opened it up, and stuck it up his nose. When I got over the shock of seeing my silver-encrusted souvenir stuck up my friend's nose, it dawned on me what I had been given.

So, yes, this Thai habit represents a major industry and covers the whole gamut from low-quality to "hi-so" models. :o

Edited by toptuan

As a young lad we used to cut them up in pieces and swallow them with jam. They do (or maybe did) indeed get one high, but it is rather uneven and unpleasant. Besides that, you keep burping up that smell! :o

I find them very useful for combatting headaches brought on by blocked sinusses. Something that seems to afflict me on the rare occasions that I (over)indulge in alcoholic beverages the night before!

gmac

Well, I always thought, and that's actually why I use them, they help when the temperature is very high and you have that slight nausea... a couple of sniff and the menthol-like smell makes you feel better.

Just like chewing a gum when you feel car-sick.

Am I the only "weirdo" using them for that purpose? :D:o

edit:typo

Edited by KhunMarco

As a young lad we used to cut them up in pieces and swallow them with jam. They do (or maybe did) indeed get one high, but it is rather uneven and unpleasant. Besides that, you keep burping up that smell! :o

Will they be urine-testing in Pai for that as well.

Here's a homemade fashion accessory.

Take a vibrator, put a big blob of Vicks inside, make a smallish hole in the tip, walk around the city with it hanging from your nose. :D

you can also massage your nostrils by swithing the appliance "on" but beware, may give you head shakes. :o

My first month in Thailand, I was given a very expensive one as a gift--real silver casing, ornately adorned, shorter and thicker than the average inhalers.

I didn't know what it was for, so I kept it as a nic-nac on the shelf in my study.

A couple years later a Thai friend came over, opened it up, and stuck it up his nose. When I got over the shock of seeing my silver-encrusted souvenir stuck up my friend's nose, it dawned on me what I had been given.

So, yes, this Thai habit represents a major industry and covers the whole gamut from low-quality to "hi-so" models. :o

Toptuan, are you sure it was an expensive gift? There is a brand here that comes in a very ornate metal cylinder, looks like silver but is tin. More than the plastic ones, but not by much. I still see them for sale at some shops. Seems too nice for something that will be thrown away. Looks like your Thai friend recognized it right away.

Benzedrine is a stimulant and is a variant of amphetamine Methamphetamine is one type of amphetamine.

I don't know how much kick you can get from the inhalers, or if there could be negative health risks, but a wikipedia search led to this info about amphetamines:

Long-term abuse or overdose effects can include tremor, restlessness, changed sleep patterns, anxiety and increase in pre-existing anxiety, poor skin condition, hyperreflexia, tachypnea, gastrointestinal narrowing, and weakened immune system. Fatigue and depression can follow the excitement stage. Erectile dysfunction, heart problems, stroke, and liver, kidney and lung damage can result from prolonged abuse. When insufflated, amphetamine can lead to a deterioration of the lining of the nostrils.

Edited by jamman

And when you get a real cold patch on your leg you know that your inhaler just broke in your pocket,

Drat no inhaler smiley :o

Edited by Rimmer

Benzedrine is a stimulant and is a variant of amphetamine Methamphetamine is one type of amphetamine.

I don't know how much kick you can get from the inhalers, or if there could be negative health risks, but a wikipedia search led to this info about amphetamines:

Long-term abuse or overdose effects can include tremor, restlessness, changed sleep patterns, anxiety and increase in pre-existing anxiety, poor skin condition, hyperreflexia, tachypnea, gastrointestinal narrowing, and weakened immune system. Fatigue and depression can follow the excitement stage. Erectile dysfunction, heart problems, stroke, and liver, kidney and lung damage can result from prolonged abuse. When insufflated, amphetamine can lead to a deterioration of the lining of the nostrils.

It's lots of fun until it starts to totally destroy you. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Well we have a few around the home, and we use them if we have a head cold or flu.

It is more effective than "Vicks Vapour Drops".

The other time I use it is when I fly.

I have suffered a ruptured ear drum twice when flying with a head cold.

Now if I have any blockage, I take my discrete little tube out and have a sniff.

Beats the agony of ear trouble caused by pressure changes! :o

active ingredients:

eucalyptys oil 8% methol 42 % camphor 16 % borneol (dont know wht it is) 6%

then something in green thai letters like a doc's warning

i like them; they clear my sinuses when i start to get sinus headaches and they help when car sick...

dont see benzdrine (the diet pill stuff) listed on them...

but it beats tylenol sinus with psuedophed in it...

The use of nasal inhalers isn’t something that’s a recent fad; Thais have been cramming these things in their sniffers for years but they aren’t the only ones. It’s just that many Thais seem to be more public about it, as they are with digging out nose goblins by picking and flicking.

It’s hard to imagine anyone could get any kind of a buzz from using these things. There seems to be a variety of reasons for why they are frequently used:

- Seeing others do it

- Provides some relief from congestion or dryness due to colds or allergies

- Menthol or eucalyptus smell that some people find pleasant or refreshing

- It can become a habit requiring more frequent use to get the effect

While they can provide some relief for nasal congestion or irritation, prolonged use can’t be all that good over long periods of time. As previously indicated, they could cause the lining of the nasal passages to deteriorate, which in turn could lead to greater reliance on the use of inhalers.

And inhaler tubes aren’t the only things that are used. Products like Vicks Vap-O-Rub, and a variety of other similar salves and ointments, are also used to achieve the same kind of results when the snot-locker becomes dry or clogged.

The use of nasal inhalers isn’t something that’s a recent fad; Thais have been cramming these things in their sniffers for years but they aren’t the only ones. It’s just that many Thais seem to be more public about it, as they are with digging out nose goblins by picking and flicking.

It’s hard to imagine anyone could get any kind of a buzz from using these things. There seems to be a variety of reasons for why they are frequently used:

- Seeing others do it

- Provides some relief from congestion or dryness due to colds or allergies

- Menthol or eucalyptus smell that some people find pleasant or refreshing

- It can become a habit requiring more frequent use to get the effect

While they can provide some relief for nasal congestion or irritation, prolonged use can’t be all that good over long periods of time. As previously indicated, they could cause the lining of the nasal passages to deteriorate, which in turn could lead to greater reliance on the use of inhalers.

And inhaler tubes aren’t the only things that are used. Products like Vicks Vap-O-Rub, and a variety of other similar salves and ointments, are also used to achieve the same kind of results when the snot-locker becomes dry or clogged.

If it is habit requiring, a habit forming drug is involved. Smells are not so compelling.

People do not habitually suffer from nasal problems.

Seeing others do things is not so compelling as to make a taxi driver drive around with a tube up each nostril.

Stop apologizing for people - people are nuts. Get used to it, and make fun of them.