Will my Retirement Visa be Terminated when renewing passport in USA?

I have annually renewed my Thai retirement Visa and Re-entry permit for seven years.  When renewing this past December, immigration granted my renewal only thru August 19 because August 19 is when my US Passport will expire. 

I am considering a trip to the US in MAY and, while there, applying to renew my passport. 

Does anyone know:  if I renew my passport in the US in May, will the new passport include existing Visa stamps from the current passport? or is it probable that my new passport will have all blank pages and no existing Visa to return to Thailand with?  Do they return the passport that you are renewing or give you a brand new one or both?  i realize this is more of a passport renewal question, but hoping some people can offer knowledge based on their experience. ( FYI- I realize I can visit US embassy's in Thailand to renew my passport but would rather accomplish the task in the USA) Thanks!

Edited by LuckyG

18 hours ago, LuckyG said:

ement Visa and Re-entry permit for seven years.  When renewing this past December, immigration granted my renewal only thru August 19 because August 19 is when my US Passport will expire

You could have got a new passport while you were in Thailand before doing your last renewal of the extension of stay (not a visa) and re-entry permit. Then when you did the renewal of the extension they would have given you a full 12 months in the new passport.

you can get a new passport at any time. No need to wait until it's about to expire.

on the other hand your annual extensions will now be in July/August which will probably be less chaotic than December in most offices.

And to confirm, they always give you back your old passport. Cancelling the old passport does not cancel valid existing extensions or re-entry permits. You hand over both the old and new passports at airport immigrations.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

When I did my U.K. passport i took the old one and the new one to IMO they transferred all the stamps think I had to pay them 500 baht for doing it naturally no receipt was issued. If your going to the states make sure your re entry stamp is up to date otherwise your extension is cancelled

How long are you planning to be in the US?  If 2-3 weeks then you may need to pay extra to expedite it.  Last year I renewed mine at the US consulted in Chiang Mai.  I did it by mail.  It took a little over 2 weeks but there were holidays during that time.

15 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

Your old passport will probably arrive back to you a few days (maybe a week?)  after your new one has arrived.  The passports arrive in two separate mailings.  They go through two separate processes and thus two separate mailings.

I'm happy you mentioned that otherwise the poster would of been very disappointed when he received  his new passport

You should just get your new passport at the US embassy in Thailand where I got my last 3 passports.

Those passports are made in Thailand. They say it takes about 3 weeks, but last one was ready in one week.

Then it is easy to go to immigration here and have the visa transferred.

55 minutes ago, NancyL said:

It's easier and quicker to get a new passport in Chiang Mai than in the U.S., plus they include necessary letter to immigration asking them to transfer the immigration stamps (something you won't receive if you get a new passport in the U.S., so you'll still have to go to the CM Consulate to request such a letter).  I'd suggest applying for a new passport now in Chiang Mai before you go back to the U.S. and taking care of the transfer of immigration stamps before you leave.

Agree.  I just did this.  It is incredibly easy to get your visa extension and other stamps transferred into the new passport by immigration.  It took me 1 week to received the new passport after I submitted the application at the US Consulate.  This is the only way to go.

22 hours ago, LuckyG said:

Thanks Joe,  So you are confident that the US passport office will return my current passport with the newly issued passport?  That is standard practice?

You need to ask them to return your old passport or transfer the visa pages to your new passport. Otherwise they will not. I ve done it. They trasfered the pages. This was back in 1997. I dont know they still transfer the pages or return old passport back to you. But either way you will have your visas. So no worries.

12 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

You need to ask them to return your old passport or transfer the visa pages to your new passport. Otherwise they will not. I ve done it. They trasfered the pages. This was back in 1997. I dont know they still transfer the pages or return old passport back to you. But either way you will have your visas. So no worries.

I have never heard of a US passport office transfering the stamps and etc to a passport. 

As far as I know that always return you old passport to you. Mine was sent back to me with my new passport by mail back in 2004.

That one is retired now since of course have new one that was applied for here.

• Like 1

As others have advised, you are better off, for a number of reasons, to renew your passport in Thailand (which you still have time to do for a May trip). Here is one more. Thailand and the US will not care about you using an almost expired passport. However, be very careful about your routing when using a passport with less than six month validity for travel. Some countries will deny transfer rights, even if you intend to stay airside, never entering that country.

It is really a lot easier to renew your passport at the United States Embassy and it’s faster.  You’d really be better off doing it here.  I presume you are probably going back to the States for more than just doing your passport because it is actually so much easier to renew your passport at any United States Embassy around the world then back in the States.  I’ve done my last two passports at the United States Embassies in Tokyo back in 2010 and again just early last year back in November last year here in Thailand in Bangkok.  It’s been well over 20 years since I ever had my passport done in the States but I remember it took forever in the mail.  Here in Thailand if you get it done at the Embassy it’s less than two weeks you’ll have your new passport back and they let you keep your old canceled passport while you wait about 10 to 14 days to receive your new passport under the Embassy’s new policy.  They don’t make you go back to Bangkok anymore to pick up your new passport now they let you keep your old canceled passport while you wait for the new passport to arrive in the mail, and now they mail everyone their new passport to your local address via EMS mail.  I believe that policy went into effect in 2017, but I just did my last passport at the Embassy just last year in November and that’s definitely how they do it now and it’s even easier now than it used to be at the Embassy.  

The Embassy has a really efficient system for processing passport renewal applications.  The Embassy is really efficient when it comes to common tasks and services such as passports.  I don’t know if you’ve ever done your passport at the Embassy before but believe it or not it really is easier than doing it in the States directly through the Department of State.  I don’t know your circumstances about your trip back to the States and it’s none of my business but you really are better off doing your passport here in Thailand at the Embassy.  

I hope LuckyG won't mind if I ask about my situation, somewhat similar to his, in his thread.

I'm currently back in the UK and have obtained a new passport. I will enter Thailand in a few weeks' time with both passports. 

I need to renew my retirement extension shortly after I get back to Thailand. Given that, do I need to get stamps transferred, or can I just get the new ones put in my new passport?

Also, as the new passport has not been issued by the Embassy, I don't have the "letter from your embassy showing that it is your passport", mentioned by BrianBBB above. Is that going to be a problem?

Thanks.

(Note: I will be using the office in Jomtien.)

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

I need to renew my retirement extension shortly after I get back to Thailand. Given that, do I need to get stamps transferred, or can I just get the new ones put in my new passport?

You will have to have your stamps transferred to your new passport before they do he extension.

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

Also, as the new passport has not been issued by the Embassy, I don't have the "letter from your embassy showing that it is your passport", mentioned by BrianBBB above. Is that going to be a problem?

That depends upon the office you will be using. Some will not ask for the letter if you have used it for entry to the country. If you need one you can request one from the UK embassy.

• Thanks 1

Just a point of information...  You can renew by mail.  They say it takes 3 weeks and you get your old (cancelled) one back with the new one and the letter for Thai Imm. as well.

There are a few stipulations and hoops to jump through including bank drafts for payment but otherwise, it might save people in far off provinces some wear and tear.

~

Thanks for all of the Great advice!  I live on a small island that is a 30 min speedboat from Phuket, so visiting BKK or Chiang mai is not easy.  If, however, I do obtain a new passport via a US Embassy in Thailand, will I have to return to an embassy to transfer stamps etc? or could that be done at a local immigration office?

5 hours ago, LuckyG said:

or could that be done at a local immigration office?

That is the only place it can be done. 

------

Thanks again Joe. Sorry but can you please clarify "that"....

Is it a US Embassy or a local Immigration office "that" is the only place to transfer stamps etc

10 hours ago, LuckyG said:

That is the only place it can be done. 

------

Thanks again Joe. Sorry but can you please clarify "that"....

Is it a US Embassy or a local Immigration office "that" is the only place to transfer stamps etc

Since I quoted part of your post mentioning a local immigration office that is where I was referring to.

No US embassy can transfer stamps from a passport.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 11:25 PM, LuckyG said:

Thanks Joe,  So you are confident that the US passport office will return my current passport with the newly issued passport?  That is standard practice?

Be careful, as it is not necessarily standard practice.  When I renewed my USA passport here in the USA, I had to specifically request it be returned and enclosed a signed letter along with my renewal package.  I did this at one of the local post offices in California where I was working at the time.   Later I did get the mail at my home with the new passport and the old passport which now had holes punched through each page.  So just be forewarned an prepared.