Triglycerides

Badrabbit

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Up here in Isaan there is a dish called somtam (spicy, crabby, fishy sauce salad). The actual fish sauce - or crab sauce - is often alive (as in moving) with bad stuff (farang call it toxic waste in these parts). I've seen a maggot infested pot of this sauce, strained and poured onto the salad. After the meal everyone down a couple of glasses of lao khow. Then it's 'off to work we go'.

Well, I've eaten somtam in Pattaya often enough. In fact it's one of my favourite Thai dishes. I usually pass on the pickled crab which doesnt seem to add much apart from 10B to the bill.

Never had moving somtam though!

1 hour ago, cooked said:

https://www.drsinatra.com/the-most-important-cholesterol-ratio-to-watch

This is more important than your actual cholesterol levels (HDL, LDL, trigs). In fact if you were cutting your carbs right down you trigs would probably go up.

There is no such thing as a refined carb, they all go through the same process to be converted into fat if they aren't being directly used as energy.

I thought you were on Keto? 

Agree that the Trig/HDL ratio is an important predictor. When I cut carbs, my Trigs went down and my HDL went up.  My ratio is 0.6.

Refined carbs spike your blood sugar more than complex carbs.

5 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Agree that the Trig/HDL ratio is an important predictor. When I cut carbs, my Trigs went down and my HDL went up.  My ratio is 0.6.

The fact remains that all carbs are unhealthy and that the human body doesn't need them. The only good carbs are no carbs. Eating bananas and worrying about your blood sugar? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact remains that all carbs are unhealthy and that the human body doesn't need them. The only good carbs are no carbs. Eating bananas and worrying about your blood sugar? 
I have no idea what you are talking about, what about bananas? who said I was worried about blood sugar? I find food incredibly difficult and to be honest I'll do the best I can and if that's not good enough it's good night from me!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Correct. Refined/processed carbs differ significantly from complex carbs in their metabolism. Although both ultimately yield glucose (as doesthe breakdown of fats and proteins), processed carbs metabolize to glucose very fast causing sudden rapid spike in blood sugar which is followed by large release of insuli. Insulin in turn impacts on lipid metabolism. Complex carbs metabolize more gradually so you avoid the sudden insulin spike.

The insulin spike is often followed by a rapid drop in blood sugar which leads to hunger and more carb craving so your overall carb intake will usually be higher if you consume processed carbs. Because a more steady blood glucose is produced from complex carbs there is less of this "yo-yo"effect, less craving and usually overall lower carb intake.

A change in diet away from processed carbs (and processed foods in general) will reduce triglycerides and LDL in most people. As well as reduce long term risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have no idea what you are talking about, what about bananas? who said I was worried about blood sugar? I find food incredibly difficult and to be honest I'll do the best I can and if that's not good enough it's good night from me!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't worry about the bananas (in fact cut them into your unsweetened yogurt to offset the lack of sugar).

And pay no attentionto extreme advice like "eat no carbs". The body requires carbohydrates and when none are eaten will break down fat and protein to get it. Carbs have their place in a balanced diet, just make them complex carbs rather than processed/refined for the reasons outlined above.

• Thanks 2

As a younger person, I never liked beans very much though I did enjoy dishes like chilli.  

Faced as you are with eliminating and replacing common foods, I've rediscovered beans and have been surprised how many satisfying, tasty and filling dishes can be made with them.

Dried, red kidney beans are available cheaply in nearly every supermarket.  It takes a bit of time to boil, then simmer them but the results when done right lend themselves to some great dishes.  There are many different and delicious versions of chilli, bean soups, vegetable and bean combo dishes as well as plain dishes like beans and sausage...all made with acceptable ingredients.  There is a good variety of beans available locally: Black, lentil, & white for instance.  Have't yet found a way to cook soybeans and there are several other varieties of beans I've seen but never tried, Such as "Job's Tears" (Any suggestions?)

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, Sheryl said:

Don't worry about the bananas (in fact cut them into your unsweetened yogurt to offset the lack of sugar).

And pay no attentionto extreme advice like "eat no carbs". The body requires carbohydrates and when none are eaten will break down fat and protein to get it. Carbs have their place in a balanced diet, just make them complex carbs rather than processed/refined for the reasons outlined above.

There are too many people here who have carb phobia making no distinction between processed and non processed and amounts of carbs.

I blame the diet extremist. Nothing wrong with monitoring carb intake and cutting down. But zero carb certainly is not needed.

• Thanks 2