A marriage visa and funds running short

Not a technical question that needs semantics, but more an ‘advice needed’ one.

Briefly, I’m a UK citizen on a marriage visa just turning 64, which means I have another two years to wait for my UK state pension. For several years my Thai wife (age 54) and I worked abroad and I was made redundant when my company lost its government contract. We both returned to Thailand last year.

While we were both abroad I paid off the mortgage on the house and the idea was that I’d find work in Thailand (TEFL) to take me to retirement and use savings to boost what is one of the lowest state pensions in the west. Unfortunately, I’ve found that over the age of 60, teaching jobs are almost impossible to find and I’m now living off those savings.

I recently did the paperwork to renew my marriage visa and was warned by immigration those savings are getting low. They asked if my wife works and she has a little business with a net monthly income of around 10K. They also asked if I have a UK bank account and they seemed happy that I have. They didn’t ask and I think they assumed there was lots of money in it, but there’s only around the equivalent of 100K Baht. With no job, that’s it.   

I can see dark clouds approaching and the intention of staying here with my wife and growing old together fading. Having been in Asia for over a decade, the one thing I don’t want is to arrive back in the UK (which will seem like a strange country), in my mid-60s with £100 in my pocket after trying to unsuccessfully keep to the financial requirements. Is it time to consider bailing out? What do you think?  

• Sad 1

With the new requirements, your only options are to use an agent (illegal and not recommended) or seek life in a country with less retirement restrictions. There are schools that will hire you if you really look. Times are desperate for schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Teach online.  I'm 60 in 2 months and earn 100,000 baht every month - teaching English to Chinese kids ????

Seriously? How many hours per week?

• Like 1

You say you paid off your mortgage. Is your house in the UK  ? You could try renting it out.

Also, you can try selling things online. Provides me with a modest income here.

Edited by Denim

But please; no online teaching spam. I’ve already had the ‘I work 30 hours a week and earn 100k a month.’ That’s 833 baht an hour and after the company takes its lions share. Online is p/t weekend work when students and adults are free. I worked in China for a number of years and I know what they earn. Ditto bit coin, writing and selling Master’s theses, dodgy business suggestions …  

Our house is in Thailand. I’ve already been told my pension DOB age group is 66. I’m knocking out applications during the holidays in the hope that when schools don’t get the twenty something blue eyed blond(e) they’re looking for I might find an opening.    

• Like 2

As mentioned if the issue is only not having enough funds for extension of stay the visa or multi entry visa option is still available and expect will remain so for humanitarian reasons.  Currently the multi entry O visa is available from either Savannakhet or HCMC in the local area without financials.  Cost to obtain/hotel/transport should be under 10k from most Thai locations.  So even if you have to leave every 90 days and return this may be a good option until your pension becomes available. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As mentioned if the issue is only not having enough funds for extension of stay the visa or multi entry visa option is still available and expect will remain so for humanitarian reasons.  Currently the multi entry O visa is available from either Savannakhet or HCMC in the local area without financials.  Cost to obtain/hotel/transport should be under 10k from most Thai locations.  So even if you have to leave every 90 days and return this may be a good option until your pension becomes available. 

That’s a good suggestion Lopburi and it’s what I did when I first came to Thailand, plus the infamous Cambodia border hopping which most of us did. They’re tightening up everywhere now though, but yes, a couple of Laos visits would get me to retirement age, but you only get so many of those and then have to get a proper visa. I don’t think a British state pension is going to cover the necessary 40K Baht (near £1,000) minimum monthly requirement.

I suppose what I’m looking for is a long-term visa that doesn’t require minimum financial proof and so I can use that useless 400K baht stuck in the bank minimum requirement for a marriage visa to top up my pension.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John V said:

They’re tightening up everywhere now though, but yes, a couple of Laos visits would get me to retirement age, but you only get so many of those and then have to get a proper visa.

The non immigrant O is a proper visa for those that are married to a Thai so should not be any issue using if you can not afford the extension of stay.  It is the tourist/visa exempt entry that they have an issue with when used to excess).  Yes you would likely have to find a way to have 400k in bank account several months to be able to use extension process but non immigrant O visa is the option for those that can not.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

You actually have an extension based on marriage (not a Visa) issued by your local Immigration office, which has financial requirements.

You can alternatively apply for a Non Imm O ME Visa from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet with no financial proof.

You cannot make 90 day reports at Immigration on this Visa type (as you currently can on your extension), but if used correctly you can stay in Thailand for almost 17 months with only 3 border runs.

The Non Imm O Visa is valid 1 year and allows unlimited 90 day entries, each of which can be extended by 60 days at Immigration for 1,900 baht (no other financial proof required).

Have you continued paying your NI stamps whilst out of the UK for so many years?

The qualifying period for a full state pension is now 35 years of contributions.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:
1 hour ago, John V said:

They’re tightening up everywhere now though, but yes, a couple of Laos visits would get me to retirement age, but you only get so many of those and then have to get a proper visa.

The non immigrant O is a proper visa for those that are married to a Thai so should not be any issue using if you can not afford the extension of stay.  It is the tourist/visa exempt entry that they have an issue with when used to excess).  Yes you would likely have to find a way to have 400k in bank account several months to be able to use extension process but non immigrant O visa is the option for those that can not.

To add to this - we have No Reports of denial-of-entry to those with Non-O-ME Visas based on marriage to a Thai. 

Even at the worst entry point in the country, Poipet/Aranyaprathet, they don't deny-entry, but will force you to stay out one night before returning.  Everywhere else, same-day return is not a problem.

Some imm-offices make marriage-extensions a hellish-process, even when you meet all the qualifications (yours sounds better than most), so these Visas are commonly used to avoid dealing with bad-offices.

15 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Some imm-offices make marriage-extensions a hellish-process, even when you meet all the qualifications (yours sounds better than most), so these Visas are commonly used to avoid dealing with bad-offices.

Or when you can't meet the financial requirements for an extension.  

Maybe you could get a loan(marriage visa 400k) or better still borrow it from a family member,If you can get it from her family send it out through Dee Money to your bank at home and than transfer it back to your thai bank(presuming you have all of these options)

Edited by riclag

I’m not sure I follow the terms correctly. The Thai Embassy issued six month visa from Laos is simply an extension of stay only available from outside Thailand and I assume that's the one being suggested? The marriage 'visa' I have now is a Thai immigration issue one. The last time I got a six month visa from Laos was in January 2018 and there were signs up then warning you were only allowed so many (it didn’t give a figure, but I’ve heard it’s two) and then they ban you from entering Thailand.  

Due to travelling and working abroad, I have about 4/5ths of the full pension.   

• Confused 1

We are talking about a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa.  This allows up to 90 day stay on any entry.  Cost is 5,000 baht.  You can extend any stay for one year if you meet financials or for 60 days without financials but then must exit and return for a new 90 day entry (or just exit/return anytime for new 90 day entry during one year visa is valid).  So an entry just before expiration gets a new 90 day stay that can be extended 60 days so total time of visa could be almost 17 months before a new visa required.

This is not the multi entry tourist visa you seem to be talking about.  There is no restriction on non immigrant O visas.

Edited by lopburi3

10 minutes ago, John V said:

I’m not sure I follow the terms correctly. The Thai Embassy issued six month visa from Laos is simply an extension of stay only available from outside Thailand and I assume that's the one being suggested? The marriage 'visa' I have now is a Thai immigration issue one. The last time I got a six month visa from Laos was in January 2018 and there were signs up then warning you were only allowed so many (it didn’t give a figure, but I’ve heard it’s two) and then they ban you from entering Thailand.  

Not sure what visa you got that was valid for 6 month or allowed you to stay that long.

A non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate can be a single entry visa that allows one 90 day entry and is valid for 3 months from the date of issue or a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited entries for a year from the date it is issued.

There is no problem with entering the country with a non-o visa.

You have a one year extension of stay issued by immigration, It is not a visa.

• Like 1

In your position i would sell the house, get some money in the bank for your visa then rent. It begs the question did you intend to live after 66 on just the State pension? Not many people get the full amount so you are probably looking at only 25,000 baht a month. With your wifes 10k might just be enough.

37 minutes ago, John V said:

I’m not sure I follow the terms correctly. The Thai Embassy issued six month visa from Laos is simply an extension of stay only available from outside Thailand and I assume that's the one being suggested?

No, Thai Embassies/Consulates only issue Visas.

Thai Immigration offices issue extension of stay. (permits).

We are suggesting a Non Imm O multi entry Visa that can only be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate based on marriage to a Thai.

40 minutes ago, John V said:

The marriage 'visa' I have now is a Thai immigration issue one.

It isn't a Visa, it's a permit extending your permission of stay for 1 year.

43 minutes ago, John V said:

The last time I got a six month visa from Laos was in January 2018 and there were signs up then warning you were only allowed so many (it didn’t give a figure, but I’ve heard it’s two) and then they ban you from entering Thailand.  

Lao only issue a single entry Tourist Visa, allowing entry for 60 days.

Issue of these types of Visas are limited.

If married to a Thai you can obtain the Non Imm O ME Visa every year without limits of issuance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what visa you got that was valid for 6 month or allowed you to stay that long.

A non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate can be a single entry visa that allows one 90 day entry and is valid for 3 months from the date of issue or a multiple entry visa that allows unlimited entries for a year from the date it is issued.

There is no problem with entering the country with a non-o visa.

You have a one year extension of stay issued by immigration, It is not a visa.

OK, I’ve just looked for it in my passport and got the six months wrong. The wording is: ‘NON-IMM’ visa, valid from 30 Jan 2018 to 29 Apr 2019, so that’s three months. The one year non O visa that I originally arrived on many years ago was from the UK and I’m not aware that I can get the same from outside the UK, or from a Thai Embassy.  

There’s no chance my Thai wife would sell the house – security and all that. I don’t blame her. She spent her earlier years living hand to mouth in Bangkok bringing up two children on her own, so she sees the house as security in her old age which I can understand. The plan was to pay the mortgage off and then continue working in China until 65 and use that money to put towards the low pension to top it up every month. Unfortunately, the company I worked for lost its government contract and I was made redundant coming back to Thailand at the age of 63 and finding it almost impossible to get another job.

I’ve never heard of a Non Imm O ME visa. Where do I get this from?

5 minutes ago, John V said:

The one year non O visa that I originally arrived on many years ago was from the UK and I’m not aware that I can get the same from outside the UK, or from a Thai Embassy.

It is available from the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet without any financial proof.

Sent a PM.

8 minutes ago, John V said:

The one year non O visa that I originally arrived on many years ago was from the UK and I’m not aware that I can get the same from outside the UK, or from a Thai Embassy.

You can certainly get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet Laos. Many people have been getting them for years now.