Need visa advice, before eligibility for retirement visa

17 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

I'm just saying that Thai immigration law is plenty complicated enough for unencumbered bachelors like myself, who can on a dime uproot our entire existence and relocate wherever.

Thai Immigration law is far less cumbersome and restricted than most other Countries.

19 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

I would assume that those with family in Thailand don't have quite the levity to do the same. Ergo, those with familial ties in Thailand are especially prone to the slings and arrows of its immigration laws. How is that controversial? 

Some of us choose to put our roots down, when we find the right reasons, which is a personal choice.

'Slings and Arrows', like the Immigration 'hoops' you have to jump through for an extension based on marriage, that is commonly portrayed on this forum. Some expats complain if they have to get their own cold beer from the fridge, don't believe everything you read.

• Thanks 1

Not one thing you said would I disagree with. I wouldn't be going through this rigmarole if I thought everything was perfect in the US of A ????

I never expected this process to be easy. That is not my complaint. I am 10x more in agreement with Thai immigration law than I am with that of my own country, but that is a political discussion, and my post was a practical one ????

Edited by OtinPattaya

And if by "most other countries," I just hope you aren't alluding to America. Because you are just dead wrong. Compare American immigration law to Thai immigration law. There's no comparison. It's laughable to compare the two. There's literally zero commonality between American immigration and Thai immigration law. 

Who are these "most other countries?" Examples are always welcome. Canada? the UK? Australia? New Zealand? Good luck finding a western country, that isn't a member of the Visegrad, that has immigration policies even remotely resembling that of Thailand.

Edited by OtinPattaya

1 minute ago, OtinPattaya said:

I'm the noob OP of this thread but I'd say that Thailand immigration isn't going to care about how much money you have in an Australian bank account. If you want to apply for an O-A, you need the 800K in a Thai bank account. 

Nope.

I think sgooges needs to create a new thread. Since he seems mainly concerned with the non-O-A. I'm sorry I even commented on this since I obviously have no clue what I'm talking about. I really think I need to shut the F up. Thanks for everyone's help on the OP topic. You've all been really a great help. 

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Thai Immigration law is far less cumbersome and restricted than most other Countries.

It's not the published law and regulations which are the problem - though "No PR ever if you have a foreign-sourced income," for someone married to a Thai is a bad situation, generally.

'Slings and Arrows', like the Immigration 'hoops' you have to jump through for an extension based on marriage, that is commonly portrayed on this forum. Some expats complain if they have to get their own cold beer from the fridge, don't believe everything you read.

Some who haven't had bad-experiences deny the experiences of others who did everything correctly - including "by the book" requirements, plus "everything the could glean from this forum."

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Please give one example of what's agonising from a bureaucratical viewpoint, when married to a Thai.

That depends on which immigration office / personnel you deal with for your extensions.  Some of us get Visas and do PITA border-runs, just to avoid repeating the experience.

And, yes, even many who legally qualify for an extension, because it is really that bad at some offices.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

It's not the published law and regulations which are the problem - though "No PR ever if you have a foreign-sourced income," for someone married to a Thai is a bad situation, generally.

Some who haven't had bad-experiences deny the experiences of others who did everything correctly - including "by the book" requirements, plus "everything the could glean from this forum."

That depends on which immigration office / personnel you deal with for your extensions.  Some of us get Visas and do PITA border-runs, just to avoid repeating the experience.

And, yes, even many who legally qualify for an extension, because it is really that bad at some offices.

And don't you let everyone know it Jack, at every opportunity.

You must be the unluckiest, hard done by foreigner in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 7:17 AM, Jingthing said:

Seasoning isn't required for the conversion step. It is for the extension step. For the conversion step using 800k the money must be shown to have been imported from abroad though.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

hi  does   800k  in bank from a condo sale ...count as "money must be shown from have been imported from abroad"   as money was originally  from abroad  when i bought  condo....thanks

Just now, daytraderuk99 said:

hi  does   800k  in bank from a condo sale ...count as "money must be shown from have been imported from abroad"   as money was originally  from abroad  when i bought  condo....thanks

That's a bit of an unusual twist, but I think strictly by the rules you would need to export the money and then reimport it to qualify for conversion of a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a 90 day O visa in Thailand. In this case, I would suggest visiting your immigration office first as maybe if you can show them the import document you used for buying the condo they might allow it. Wouldn't count on it though. 

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's a bit of an unusual twist, but I think strictly by the rules you would need to export the money and then reimport it to qualify for conversion of a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a 90 day O visa in Thailand. In this case

Proof the funds came from the sale of a condo will be accepted instead of it coming from abroad.

The proof the funds came from a broad is only to prove where the funds came from. People have used proof the money came from working here and I am sure other proof the funds were legally earned here.

The OP needs to understand the difference between a visa and permission to stay. A visa is NO guarantee you can enter any country.  At best it will get you to the immigration officer at passport control.

If the IO is happy with your application to enter (visa) he will permit you to enter for whatever period he deems I. E.  Permission to stay. The timeframe is usually what the visa document states. 

Once the OP understands this he may get a clearer picture.  The majority of long term people staying in Thailand do not have a visa at all., but have been extending their permission stay, usually for 12 months at a time.  Without citizenship there is no guarantee of long term residency.  Even PR  is not what people think it is. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 5:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could enter on a tourist visa and apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office on you 50th birthday based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

To apply for the change you would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 toalaling 800k baht.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for the one year extension. The money would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

For the 65k route, will the IO want to see proof it has been going into a Thai bank account for 12 months?

17 minutes ago, Jlop said:

For the 65k route, will the IO want to see proof it has been going into a Thai bank account for 12 months?

Not for the first extension application. One month is enough for the first extension application according to an example show in the amendment to the police order.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for the first extension application. One month is enough for the first extension application according to an example show in the amendment to the police order.

Yes, good news if the officer at your particular office honors that. One month seems really marginal regardless of what said amendment says.