Foam parties banned during Songkran

snoop1130

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that police have also been instructed to provide security at Songkran celebration venues and not to collect bribes from foreign migrant workers travelling back to home countries during Songkran.

Whereas the collection of bribes from celebration organisers at said venues to enable them to play crap boom-boom music at ear-splitting levels for miles around from multi-megawatt sound systems without impunity is presumably considered more than acceptable??

• Confused 1

Yeah maybe in certain areas of Bangkok but ironically where I live up in the north eastern area I just happened to see a couple of restaurants hauling in and testing the same kind of foam machines that they used last year in the same areas of the city as last year.  I actually saw that on Thursday when we were out running errands.  

Edited by Jim7777

Songkran probably gets just as crazy and wild up here as it does down south it always has and that’s not gonna change just because their government is mad because they were caught cheating the election results and now want to show everyone who’s in charge.  I’m all about obeying the local laws I always do but there is a line when it comes to basic personal freedoms.  I’ve already stocked up on lots of alcohol for the whole family enough to last everyone more than the 3 days of Songkran just in case they attempt to ban alcohol.  I foresee that being announced probably a day or two before Songkran begins.  

16 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely hilarious. These fools putting out such edicts are a joke and a disgrace.

Banning foam parties because of past electrocutions, telling bent coppers not to extort the needy and vulnerable, telling tourists how to dress as there are perverts everywhere and the cops are only capable of reactive work.

What a shower.

Surely it's a April fools scam????

• Haha 1

No one is gonna stop us from having fun on Songkran although I do agree if you’re driving seriously don’t drink.  Our family always alternates designated drivers on Songkran each day all 3 days so that not one person is stuck as designated driver. And they always seem to know where all the police checkpoints are going to be every year.  

Edited by Jim7777
  • Like 1

The incredulous statement from Thai Police only underscores what bribes are to every Thai: the cost of doing business. These are not law enforcers.  Half of them don't even know the law.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, madmitch said:

Honestly, that comment coming in an official police press release is almost unbelievable, even for Thailand

Not to mention that Kaosan road is dry this year because of the Kings ceremony taking place. 

What is the world coming to?

17 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely hilarious. These fools putting out such edicts are a joke and a disgrace.

Banning foam parties because of past electrocutions, telling bent coppers not to extort the needy and vulnerable, telling tourists how to dress as there are perverts everywhere and the cops are only capable of reactive work.

What a shower.

..looks like the circus never left town.

• Haha 1

Well I think this article is exaggerating a little bit which they commonly do on this forum they often exaggerate about a lot of things.  If you read the article it sounds more like the foam machines are only banned in certain areas of Bangkok or will only actually be enforced in certain areas of Bangkok down south.  Notice how the title says that they are banned but the article only discusses certain little particular areas.  That’s common they throw out an exaggerated title to get attention like any newspaper and when you read the actual article it’s not as bad as it is made to appear.  I’ve started ignoring a lot of it and maybe just turn on the local channel 7 news once in a while or ask my wife’s family because they are always watching local television.  Not all the information on this forum is reliable some of it is but not all of it.  

Last Thursday just a few days ago we were out running errands and I actually saw a few places preparing those foam machines for Songkran in the same areas of our city that they normally have them every year so obviously where we live they’re planning a normal Songkran just like every other year.  They have the foam machines sitting out in the open still it’s not like they’re trying to hide them.  I’ve seen all the same preparation being made for Songkran the week prior just like every other year, this will be my 5th Songkran actually living here.  There have been no announcements about anything being banned up here where we live.  Although we live in a smaller city in the north eastern area, not that small but definitely small compared to a city like Bangkok.  I could maybe see some of these enforcements happening in some smaller areas of Bangkok and Pattaya but definitely not the entire country.  

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On Facebook lately, I've been seeing nothing but ads for various kinds of foam parties in the BKK area and thereabouts now and for the coming week plus.

Perhaps they didn't get the police's message. Or, they don't care!

Same as banning shirts with beer logos on them saying they are illegal. I just came up from Pattaya and at the malls there and even  hi-end malls/stores in Bangkok they are selling them everywhere. Why do they even get involved in such matters? How about  just making sure party venues are properly set up and safety inspected rather than just ban everything because of 1 accident last year.

17 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Not to mention that Kaosan road is dry this year because of the Kings ceremony taking place. 

What is the world coming to?

It’s just a Thai Visas article so take it with a grain of salt it’s probably half true if that.  Although sometimes they do put out accurate information.  Just like that other article was like oh my God Pattaya is totally destroyed by floods which are common especially down south.  

6 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Same as banning shirts with beer logos on them saying they are illegal. I just came up from Pattaya and at the malls there and even  hi-end malls/stores in Bangkok they are selling them everywhere. Why do they even get involved in such matters? How about  just making sure party venues are properly set up and safety inspected rather than just ban everything because of 1 accident last year.

Well you can’t believe everything you read on Thai Visas either, they do often put out a lot of good accurate information but they also very often exaggerate stuff.  Plus the Thai police don’t enforce every little dumb law that gets passed.  Kind of like in the States the cops normally won’t stop you for J-Walking like ever unless they are looking for an excuse to stop you for some other reason or suspicion.  

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that police have also been instructed to provide security at Songkran celebration venues and not to collect bribes from foreign migrant workers travelling back to home countries during Songkran.

Fat chance of either happening !

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe it would mean that if this was enforced, there will be hardly any cops left in Thailand

Bearing in mind that much of the crime in Thailand is committed by the police, that might not be a bad thing.

Also, perhaps they don't realise that water is a bigger source of electrocution than foam. Why not ban water at Songkran too. There really is no limit to their idiocy.

And what do the Authorities think is the current, and for many years gone, is the "Songkran tradition". Sprinkle a little water on the forehead of every passer-by but not get them wet? So much fun!!

18 hours ago, z42 said:

What a shower.

I suggest the death penalty-a sad circus indeed.  I just got ripped off at immigration because I lost my receipt, and they said I was reporting 3 months late.  Somehow my last visit was deleted from the computer.  In ten years I’ve never been late.  Me and my wife even knew where we parked, got copies and ate.  Friends remember talking on the phone to my wife about going to immigration with me.  Two thousand baht and smiles and laughter from the employees at immigration ????

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Once again, the police reminder says,  not to take bribes during the festival.  So does that it mean that otherwise it's "tolerated" ? after the festival the good ole extorsion can start again ?

Why not plainly say that any cop at any period of the year will be sacked and jailed if he takes a bribe ? Maybe it would mean that if this was enforced, there will be hardly any cops left in Thailand !:welcomeani:

"Hardly any".  Surely you mean none, and what about the Maj/Gens and Lt/Cols? They have their big fancy houses

and cars to look after.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Every Songkran.... there is a galatically idiotic and ridiculous statement made by someone in a position of power Banning something or other... 

.... this year it's foam parties... As if anyone at all is going to take any notice whatsoever. 

Just another announcement in the perpetual contribution to the farcical imagine portrayed - its a shame, they could do so much better with just a little bit of common sense. 

Thais, especially those in high positions, and common sense are not compatible. That's why you get all these 24 hour crackdowns, and tourists being frightened away by their stupid visa rules.