Thailand's rising political star charged with sedition

rooster59

9 minutes ago, bannork said:

I do have a slim sliver of hope. But I fear it will take an awful lot to unseat the militarists - and it won't be pretty, if it happens.

Yes, I do have a still-living ray of hope that one day in years to come, Thanathorn will be Thailand's just and decent Prime Minister. But the battle (if it is engaged) will be long, vicious and deadly  (social media will play an important and necessary part - but it won't be sufficient in itself) ...

Edited by Eligius

Just now, bowerboy said:

It’s the same article.

You said it wasn't mentioned in media outside Thailand. 

What you are doing now is moving the goalposts, so be happy that you atleast have that in common with the EC since they like to move goalposts aswell:) 

• Like 2

Seriously if you want to talk about apathy.

How many thousands (if not tens of thousands) of the youth vote would be in Pathumwan area on any given Saturday? It’s a ten minute stroll down to Pathumwan or 5 minutes in a Taxi and would be a minor inconvenience at the very most to make the trip to the Police Station.

But no not the Thai’s....

Oohhhh think too mutt, make me headaytch 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

I do have a slim sliver of hope. But I fear it will take an awful lot to unseat the militarists - and it won't be pretty, if it happens.

Yes, I do have a still-living ray of hope that one day in years to come, Thanathorn will be Thailand's just and decent Prime Minister. But the battle (if it is engaged) will be long, vicious and deadly  ...

He's going to be tried in a military court. I don't know the procedures for that in Thailand, how long they take to process cases, whether appeals are allowed or not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

The representatives from the 10 countries was impressive.

If this was such a big global message then please can you post a link about it from any non Thai source when and if such exists.

BBC World News

1 minute ago, bowerboy said:

How many thousands (if not tens of thousands) of the youth vote would be in Pathumwan area on any given Saturday? It’s a ten minute stroll down to Pathumwan or 5 minutes in a Taxi and would be a minor inconvenience at the very most to make the trip to the Police Station.

Awww. U bijjjg falang boi, kom teth Thai people be stong same same u

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bowerboy said:

A quote from Pravit's article-Since the contentious elections, university students from 14 institutions have spearheaded a campaign to impeach the Election Commission, which they perceive as unprofessional if not partial. Collectively, nearly a million signatures have been gathered.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

He's going to be tried in a military court. I don't know the procedures for that in Thailand, how long they take to process cases, whether appeals are allowed or not.

If he is charged in a military court, his chances of getting off lightly will be extremely slim. It is clear that the plan is to neuter him and his political party - remove him and them from the game. 

As poster Samui Bodoh often says: 'Sad, sad days for beloved Thailand'!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

The representatives from the 10 countries was impressive.

If this was such a big global message then please can you post a link about it from any non Thai source when and if such exists.

Mentioned in

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/06/thailand-party-leader-charged-with-sedition-after-strong-poll-showing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, somo said:

The Junta sees Thanathorn in the same way it sees Taksin and his family so they are employing the same tactics to get rid of the threat. Trumped up charges worked for them in the past so why not again? Well it may be different this time or the start of something different. This young man has gained the attention and support of some of Thailands biggest trading partners who are waking up to the ridiculousness of the political situation whereby no one but the Junta are allowed to win. If they exert economic pressure others inside the country may start to worry and support change.

Only the charges against Thaksin and various other members of his extended family weren't trumped up. 

These, we'll have to wait and see. 

23 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

Given the gravity of the situation and the 6M votes I am pretty certain he is saying that the Thai’s are a spineless bunch of apathetic drones with no moral compass and no drive and ambition and no ability to think for themselves.

How many students are there in Bangkok? Where were they? All they had to do was go and stand there...there would of been no risk.

And the manner in which you voice what is really your own opinion is no better ie behind the big boys petticoat. The i'm asking for a friend of mine comment in case you might be charged for your comments. Cowardly!...  I think you both underestimate the Thai students. It is a time like with all great generals that when they are at their strongest they appear to be at their weakest and vice versa. The situation in Thailand needs cool heads at the moment and that is what he/they ie Future Forward are requesting because it's not looking good yes Thais can be sloth like and apathetic but I think there can be only one outcome if F Troop don't give the power back to the people. I follow CSI LA and every day he is posting evidence of blatant NCPO corruption that never makes it into the main stream media. And this is being read and commented on by hundreds of thousands of young Thais. Its a bit like in school when the fat guy who is been provoked hits back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannork said:

I've always thought, as many others have, that one of the reasons no Thai government has actively pursued the arrest and prosecution of Thaksin is because they couldn't handle the prospect of multitudes of Thaksin's followers permanently camped outside whichever prison he was incarcerated in. The unrest would be too much to handle.

Have they thought the same scenario could happen here?

I don't think that's the real reason. More likely no one wants big T blabbing all he knows, about who he knows it.

People change sides as often as they change their shoes!

• Like 2

Thanathorn's  vote has obviously alarmed the junta, because he potentially holds the balance of power. Given that, and his attitude to their spending on military hardware, it is not surprising they should seek to eliminate him by fair means or foul.

• Like 2

Thaksin and Thanathorn's family are rumored to be close. Which terrifies the junta all the more. And they are trying to smear Thanathorn with that connection in the pro-junta Thai media.

In any case, here's my little poem again:

Bullets will fly

blood will flow

men will die

but their women and children will not mourn

the sacrifice of the brave for the land to which they were born

birds will grow quiet and the wind will slow

but after interminable darkness will dawn the day

that sets Thailand free

and once the sun breaks on that fine morning

it will not set in a thousand years

Edited by Bang Bang

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

And have you seen the video of the masses and masses and millions and millions of outraged, furious Thais outside that police station - demonstrating for democracy and in defence of Thanathorn?

I have just seen it. Except that the masses of Thais forgathered there .....

BARELY REACHED ONE THOUSAND.

Says it all  - as I -- and others -- have predicted all along.

Close to another new coup d'etat, that's exactly what the junta wants, another 5 years with curfew. What is the matter with thai voters, do they want an army controlled government? I totally sympathize with the millions of protesters.  

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

Was talking to my friend this week about his kid going for the conscription draw. His wife paid 40,000 for him to avoid being drafted but their maids son was attending at the same time and he didn’t have the money and got unlucky and got consripted.

Why and how do you know/think this was unlucky.

Edited by Vacuum

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

Given the gravity of the situation and the 6M votes I am pretty certain he is saying that the Thai’s are a spineless bunch of apathetic drones with no moral compass and no drive and ambition and no ability to think for themselves.

How many students are there in Bangkok? Where were they? All they had to do was go and stand there...there would of been no risk.

Easier for them to stay home and watch events unfold on their smartphones. Just more virtual reality, except for the guy facing nine years jail.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Absurd that a coup installed regime is legally permitted to file such suits. 

How any regular citizen can support the Junta on matters like this is mindblowing. It's morally bankrupt, and then some

This is despicable behaviour and speaks volumes for the Juntas determination to snuff out political freedom and any threat to their power. 

I hope this backfires on them. 

• Like 2

The junta need to be careful of what they wish for.

6+ million voters can influence a far greater number of supporters, even those who didn't vote FFP could very easily join in against this outright injustice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

so you are saying what? Thais are gutless? or he has one thousand supporters?

Thais understand the way of things in Thailand. I, you and the rest of 'us' find it difficult to accept.

My wife has been preaching to me for months that the military and their overseers will maintain power one way or another, regardless of Thai people's hopes and wishes and the outcome of any election. Despite my protestations and arguments (personal hopes and wishes at the forefront) it is becoming obvios she knows better. Not cowardice just old fashion acceptance of their lot in life.

• Like 2

He may be guilty, he may not. Either way with the charge stemming from 2015 this whole thing reeks of political persecution worse than the smell of a skunk's spray. 

• Like 2