How much free time?

Suffering bipolar disorder, I cannot plan really any of my days. Either I am good or bad when sick and no plans in the world are ever going to work but if I am in between, I try to get some normalcy in my life. I cannot predict my days, even being medicated so I just have to go with the flow.

Time when well is very precious to me.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

My life is now all free time, my time, not at the bidding of anyone else, bar Mrs P and she makes few demands on my time. It took me a good 18 months after retirement to realise that I am beholden to nobody, or to anything much and now, I'm never even sure what day of the week it is. I stick a postit on my office wall with my next 90 day report date and that's about  all that I have to worry about not missing, bar the yearly extension of stay date.   I don't wear my expensive retirement watch anymore, in fact, I don't even know where it is. There isn't a clock in the house. It gets light, the cat and and the puppy wake up, I follow.  It gets dark, the cat and the puppy go to sleep and I follow later.    Bliss. 

So true! Couldn't have described it better myself.

18 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Retired at 58, been here permanently since 2011, every day is a joy, I can stay up watching movies and my favourite shows till close to midnight, sleep like a log until maybe 0930 - 10.00 hrs, my Mrs goes running most mornings with her friends (weather permitting) visit my local 3 times a week, eat out 3 or 4 times a week, the weather is great rain or shine, my friends are relaxed and chilled and I haven'e seen an alarm clock since 2017 when we had to get up early for a flight to Singapore for the Orient Express trip ???? What is there not to like ????

I retired and came to Thailand permanently at 59 in 2005.  I'll stay if the let me. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, murraynz said:

its a trait with most thai woman..12hrs a day, at least

Where do you guys get them?  My wife and all her friends go to bed at 11 or 12PM and get up at 5 AM 6 days a week.  I know because they all go to work together.  I live in an industrial area and the factory buses pick everyone up between 6 and 7 every morning and bring them home at 6 at night - hundreds of them every day.  Dow, Samsung, PTT and many others.

Edited by marcusarelus

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Where do you guys get them?  My wife and all her friends go to bed at 11 or 12PM and get up at 5 AM 6 days a week.  I know because they all go to work together.  I live in an industrial area and the factory buses pick everyone up between 6 and 7 every morning and bring them home at 6 at night - hundreds of them every day.  Dow, Samsung, PTT and many others.

I'll lay odds they sleep on the bus both ways ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I have 3 jobs, two kids, a wife and 3 dogs and a big garden.

I got 5 km 4 times a week. I am the member of various clubs. 

If I have spare time,  I like a game of poker, maybe 1 hour a week.

Sounds awful! ????

In answer to the OP's question...

A LOT...and dat's a beautiful thing! :thumbsup:

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

One way to have lots of free time, send your wife or to work all hours.

• Haha 1

My time wasn’t free a couple of nights ago.....  and now my wife owes me dinner !

ok ok.... Time to yourself and free-time may be a different thing.... I like to spend my time with my Wife, son, family and friends....  thus, with plans its not considered ‘free time’.... Of course, I can change this when I want, so it could be ‘free time’ after all. 

That said, its nice to have time to myself...  but then I waste it watching TV, playing football, going for ride, reading this forum....  etc etc... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

does boom boom count as free time?

Not if you’re paying for it.... 

.... yeah yeah... I know...  we all pay for it one way or another.... (just predicting the quotes of a couple of usual suspects...  !)

Edited by richard_smith237

On 4/7/2019 at 4:35 AM, Pilotman said:

My life is now all free time, my time, not at the bidding of anyone else, bar Mrs P and she makes few demands on my time. It took me a good 18 months after retirement to realise that I am beholden to nobody, or to anything much and now, I'm never even sure what day of the week it is. I stick a postit on my office wall with my next 90 day report date and that's about  all that I have to worry about not missing, bar the yearly extension of stay date.   I don't wear my expensive retirement watch anymore, in fact, I don't even know where it is. There isn't a clock in the house. It gets light, the cat and and the puppy wake up, I follow.  It gets dark, the cat and the puppy go to sleep and I follow later.    Bliss. 

But why do you have an office?

On 4/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, Pilotman said:

Why do you need an office if you are retired with all that free time? 

Genuine question. 

I'm still working but can manage with a phone on my days off I. e.  Until  the 19th after Songkran. 

Then I go back for work. 

9 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

But why do you have an office?

Probably the same reason others have a spare room, or study etc.... it’s just the name of a spare room... 

He says he’s retired.. having an office in his place is not an indication he’s spinning a yarn. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Probably the same reason others have a spare room, or study etc.... it’s just the name of a spare room... 

He says he’s retired.. having an office in his place is not an indication he’s spinning a yarn. 

I see like a bit of personal space? 

14 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Far too much time to contemplate my semi retirement. Cant wait for the next contract to be signed so that I can get back to work. The last year has taught me that I am no where near ready to retire. I salute those that have mastered retirement.

Having money is the key to mastering retirement. Hard to get bored when you have enough money to travel to wherever you want, whenever you want and with whoever you want. I salute (feel sorry for?) those stuck in one place with the same person year after year.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Having money is the key to mastering retirement. Hard to get bored when you have enough money to travel to wherever you want, whenever you want and with whoever you want. I salute (feel sorry for?) those stuck in one place with the same person year after year.

Quit talking about the majority of TV posters. 

On 4/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, Davo369 said:

In my spare time I blow the doors off of many bar girls I can????

On 4/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, timendres said:

Working 15 hours a day. 7 days a week. Take the occasional 3 or 4 hours here and there for entertainment. Could not be happier.

Yeah.... Right. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Living the dream.  Retire and live in an industrial area.  No thanks!! 

• Haha 2