White House to Democrats seeking Trump tax returns - 'Never'

webfact

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

my poor democratic party would be better served by simply having a better than trump, solid policy, solid ideas, solid platform to run on as the way to win the next presidential election. their current platform seems to be "discrediting trump"

That's ridiculous. There are over 20 candidates running and it's a very long time before the democratic convention before the PLATFORM is established. Each candidate has their own policy positions at this point, some much more fleshed out than others. Anyone that's paying attention would already know the broad picture, such as that the democratic party is for health care access for all and the republican party isn't. Another ridiculous aspect of your point is it's failure to understand that when there is an incumbent president, ANY incumbent, the absolutely most important issue is ALWAYS a referendum on the incumbent.

Edited 1 hour ago by Jingthing

fair points. may i ask what is your opinion on the "new green deal" that aoc presented?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

my poor democratic party would be better served by simply having a better than trump, solid policy, solid ideas, solid platform to run on as the way to win the next presidential election. their current platform seems to be "discrediting trump"

You are clearly not giving any attention to policy statements being made by Democrats or indeed by those who are contesting the Democratic candidacy for President.

fair. not 100% but the big ones like "green new deal" aoc.  msm is inundated with trump bashing

7 hours ago, usviphotography said:

An obscure, rarely used law that raises serious Constitutional issue and which has never been tested in any Federal Court. Trump is testing it, and like almost legal issues that have arisen during his Presidency, will ultimately prevail. 

An unambiguous law written to gain access to Harding's tax returns following the Teapot Dome scandal. 

The only testing of Constitutional issues here is Trump fighting Congress's constitutional right and obligation of oversight of the Executive branch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

fair points. may i ask what is your opinion on the "new green deal" that aoc presented?

Is aoc running for President?

thank you for an intellectually astonishing answer to the question posed

1 hour ago, heybruce said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

what is your personal opinion of the green new deal ?

You dragged a discussion about Trump's refusal to reveal tax returns into a comment on Democratic Presidential candidates then attempted to associate them with aoc and the green new deal and now want the topic to be exclusively about the green new deal.

Have I summarized your posting correctly?

What is your opinion about Trump's refusal to give his tax returns to Congress?

If you give an answer to this on-topic question, I will answer your green new deal question.

the green new deal is just a single component of the evolution of this discussion.

re trump tax return; if it is a legal requirement for the president, any president, regardless of party affiliation, bernie, hillary, whomever, then my opinion is trump should.

21 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the green new deal is just a single component of the evolution of this discussion.

re trump tax return; if it is a legal requirement for the president, any president, regardless of party affiliation, bernie, hillary, whomever, then my opinion is trump should.

No, it's not a legal requirement. But obviously any President who has any ethical standards at all should submit it for open inspection. Just as any President should put his business holdings in a blind trust. Just because something isn't legally required, doesn't mean that it's ethically ok. In addition, there is a law that authorizes the head of the Congressional tax committee to see the tax returns of any American.  It's under that law the Trump's tax returns are being requested.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bristolboy said:
40 minutes ago, atyclb said:

No, it's not a legal requirement. But obviously any President who has any ethical standards at all should submit it for open inspection. Just as any President should put his business holdings in a blind trust. Just because something isn't legally required, doesn't mean that it's ethically ok. In addition, there is a law that authorizes the head of the Congressional tax committee to see the tax returns of any American.  It's under that law the Trump's tax returns are being requested.

"If you give an answer to this on-topic question, I will answer your green new deal question."

Edited by atyclb

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

The IRS has a legal responsibility to turn over any tax returns requested by the congressional tax committee.  Such a request has been made for Trump's returns.  So yes, there is a legal requirement for the IRS to turn over Trump's tax returns.

My opinion of aoc's Green New Deal is that it is overly complicated and ambitious and has no chance of passage in a coherent form.  I assume many of the Democratic candidates for President have a similar view, which is why they are not taking a firm position on it.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Jingthing said:

That's ridiculous. There are over 20 candidates running and it's a very long time before the democratic convention before the PLATFORM is established. Each candidate has their own policy positions at this point, some much more fleshed out than others. Anyone that's paying attention would already know the broad picture, such as that the democratic party is for health care access for all and the republican party isn't. Another ridiculous aspect of your point is it's failure to understand that when there is an incumbent president, ANY incumbent, the absolutely most important issue is ALWAYS a referendum on the incumbent.

would be nice to see a canada like healthcare system in which tax dollars already collected are used rather than force everyone to buy insurance and fine them if they don't.