Retirement vs.Marriage Visa

My apologies in advance as there is a lot of traffic on the Subject..  I’m looking for the ideal option for an American / Thai spouse.  I can meet either of the two options, age financials etc.. but I am not clear on whether the marriage or retirement visa is best, and why.  I do not plan on employment.  Have any of you travelled down this path and have sound guidance based on experience?  Is Cost and renewal times comparative or is one clearly better than the other?  I have a tourist visa now, that I suppose can be converted?  Appreciate any help here.  Thx.

Edited by ReelTime

As someone doing marriage renewals, after doing retirements, I have to say if you can keep the money in the bank go retirement every time as you get your extension the same day and there's no worry that in a month's time they might find something wrong with marriage extension paperwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At present, I do not have a Thai bank account.  Can one be established with a Tourest visa?  Seems like I tried one time a year or two ago and I was turned away...?  Decided I didn’t need it with ATM access and didn’t really care... haha. See I’m really 50+ =)...  Will the Immigration Dept. accept American bank holdings?  Or Am I caught in Catch 22?

11 minutes ago, ReelTime said:

At present, I do not have a Thai bank account.  Can one be established with a Tourest visa?  Seems like I tried one time a year or two ago and I was turned away...?  Decided I didn’t need it with ATM access and didn’t really care... haha. See I’m really 50+ =)...  Will the Immigration Dept. accept American bank holdings?  Or Am I caught in Catch 22?

Often you need to shop around the banks to find one that will do it.

It's little arbitrary if they will or won't open one. But do the tourist to OA conversion first, then start bank shopping

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ReelTime said:

Is Cost and renewal times comparative or is one clearly better than the other?

I would always recommend an extension based on being married tather than retirement. The extra paperwork is nothing to worry about and IMO outweighs the extra financials required for a retirement extension — even more so after the recent changes.

I have a tourist visa now, that I suppose can be converted?

You can “convert” to a non ‘O’ visa as long as you’ve at least 15 days (maybe 21) left of your initial 60 day stay or subsequent 30 day extension.

Edited by elviajero

2 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

I have never taken a witness in 14 years.

But it is sometimes required I went as a witness myself for my next door neighbour about 10 years ago.  

Prior to switching to retirement extensions I was on a marriage extension with a former wife and never needed witnesses but things change all the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmac said:

An earlier post mentioned having to take 2 people, presumably at least one being Thai, with you to confirm that you are actually married and living together.  If this is the case I would would think it rather difficult to get said witnesses to visit immigration with you if you live way out in the sticks as I do.

Depends on the immigration office, Pattaya for example, just want to see someone when they do the home visit.

• Like 2

I think the most important thing is where you want stay. Because every Immigration office will handle it little bit different.

At Chaeng Wattana, I would say the only drawback of the marriage extension is the 30 days waiting period, and that you can[t do it alone, as you have to bring your wife with you. The additional paper are really easy to do and not need more than maybe 1 hour work at home (I think even less). I not had a home visit. And on the last extension I think I needed about 1 hour for all documents, as Chaeng Wattana not need a new marriage certificate, I can use the old one which I only have to copy. I have a folder on my computer with all the documents scanned as PDF. So next year I only have to replace the passport, because of new stamps, make 4 new pictures (till now they are then on 1 A4 page) and 2 passport-pictures and the bank certificate. all the rest of the documents I use the same as from last year! Of course if an ID card changes then I have to replace that with the new one..

But when you have to bring 2 witness and the witness can not be friend have to be neighbors this could be a real hassle. So when know in which Immigration you would be, maybe someone from there could give much better advice

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Depends on the immigration office, Pattaya for example, just want to see someone when they do the home visit.

That makes a lot more sense.

It really depends on where u intend to live as each Immigration Office has its own set of criteria for each extension of stay. As to my experience over the past 10 years I find the retirement route best for me. I live in the Bangkok area and Cheang Wattana (CW) is my office. For many years I used the Thai Wife route but switched to Retirement for convenience, one trip in heavy traffic and less documentation. Even with the new requirements I still prefer Retirement over Thai Wife for my extensions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Well said.  It depends = Russian roulette.  Gamble!! Take your chances.  Consistently inconsistent. Retirement costs more, less hassle (again relatively speaking).  This is Thailand, nothing is going to be easy when it comes to immigration. 

Edited by mike787
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Extension based on Retirement is independent of your relationship. If anything happens its not effected. Its issued "on the spot"

Based on Marriage has more paperwork, lower financials, is "under consideration" for 30 days, paperwork forwarded to Bangkok and you return after 30 days for the visa. If the relationship ends so does that visa. You will need to make alternate arrangements.

Until the recent changes in the financial area, the "Retirement" option was generally deemed, quicker, easier cleaner etc and was a preference of the Immigration Offices as it was less paperwork for them and done "on the spot".

Assess your own circumstances as to which is probably better.  Bare in mind, things can and do change here at short notice. There will also be slight variations required at different offices.

That is true the Retirement extension is less paperwork and faster.  I’m considering maybe switching to a retirement visa when I hit the big 50 because of the reasons you stated.  And financially I qualify for either visa retirement or marriage I’m married to a Thai citizen and actually retired for real but I’m just a little bit under 50 years old.  But I don’t know I don’t really mind all the paperwork since it’s just once a year.  

Edited by Jim7777
  • Thanks 1