Thai schoolboy who taught himself English shares his learning tips

snoop1130

"beating contestants older than him"

don't you love this ... I thought they all had English in school, but nobody pays attention to it, being TIT, center of the universe

you might think they excel in other subjects by only knowing one language ...well, were are the thai inventors, nobel price winners ?

good for the boy, he is better than average, but average in this country is like education till year 6 in the rest of the world

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I was sitting in front of my computer munching on potato chips, when it struck me that the best way to learn something is to enjoy it.

The kid is absolutely right, and smart to realise it by himself. Best way to become functional in a new language is to start with and build on what you want to know and communicate, in an area you're genuinely enthusiastic about. If it's related to your interests or needs you'll make the effort and it'll stick. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, justin case said:

I thought they all had English in school, but nobody pays attention to it, being TIT, center of the universe

I don't think so....i haven't been in a restaurant where the staff can speak 1 word english (in central bkk) for a year....

Everywhere in every mall/shop/restaurant there are plenty young Thai working but not 1 word english is spoken. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Thailand 4.0 brings with it many things, but one of the biggest aspects of this drastic disruption to our country is its focus on the education and mental growth of Thais, both young and old.

I suspect he hasn't memorized Prayut's 12 Values.

As a former educator, having taught in five different countries at international schools ( not local). It can be difficult for the teacher  to always make the required curriculum exciting or interesting to everyone due to different nationalities, English language levels, and learning styles. This kid has the right attitude....and with the outdated teaching methods of rote-learning & not thinking outside the box with many of the outdated public schools in Thailand, a motivated student will need to be creative and find other ways to learn content and broaden his/ her knowledge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

I imagine there are a few TVF posters that lack even a basic Thai street level ability. Take what this bright boy said and use it to pick up some Thai.

This young man exemplifies what I concluded back when I was a teacher in USA:

"If someone doesn't want to learn, no one can teach him (or her). If someone wants to learn, no one can stop him"

With regards to learning Thai I'm finding this app helpful that I discovered last week: https://languagedrops.com

It's fun to me, like language learning should be.

Sadly would have to pay some money if wanting to use more than 5 minutes every day. But might be worth it at some point.

Edited by wolf81
  • Like 1

Was it against the rules to show his essay to some random native English speaking backpacker to correct the obvious errors? 

As I'm trying to learn Spanish, I was hoping to find some tips from him on language learning in general. 

He seems to mostly be saying to watch videos.

I agree that's a good supplement but it's doubtful just doing that alone has led anyone to fluency.

I do have my own tip. Watch the videos and turn on the subtitles of the language as well. Just looking at subtitles in your own language is a crutch and the actual learning is reduced.

• Like 1