US defends its presence at police station in Thanathorn case

webfact

On 4/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, Aussie999 said:

Do not speak for other people and their country... I for one doubt many of my coutry folk would give a rats bum if forgeign diplomats protested. (aussie, aussie, aussie, oi ,oi ,oi)

A real Aussie bogun. 

Hey,  your sister is calling. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, chama said:

This also shows international concern over the abuse of power and manipulation of the political situation. The current leadership would like to be able to abuse their authority behind the scenes so no one, domestically or foreign, can call them out.

I think the use of the word "leadership" is stretching a point.

image.png.6bac86c8cc9f390b555854ac7dfe5699.png

On 4/13/2019 at 4:52 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Because the Americans can get rice from Vietnam or India. Thailand has nothing else of significant value, other than the girls. And, they can be exported easily.

your forgot to mention the ladyboys....also very significant value and easy to pack

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 1

Hmm, the foreign diplomats will express some outrage..

But the dirty rotten fact is, Thailand doesn't really matter to most of the world.

It has no natural resources, an inept military, which as far as I can see is designed for play, or internal oppression, so you sorta wonder what's the point.

It's not Singapore, Japan, South Korea or Taiwan with economic clout. It's basically a third world kleptocracy, which after the end of the Vietnam war, has little to no strategic purpose.

They will continue to cozy up to China as the rest of the world loses interest in them

This whole diplomats at the police station thing, is just what diplomats do!

Does it mean anything? I sincerely doubt it. 

The US has for a for a few years now pivoted to Vietnam as the buffer to China. The State Dept doesn't really care about Thailand and all their corrupt politics

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 8:40 AM, Eligius said:

Great that at last the international community are SHOWING that they are getting sick and tired of all the outrageous shenanigans going on in Thailand and are not going to sit meekly by.

It would be great if they also showed similar interest in equal rights for all Farang in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmm, the foreign diplomats will express some outrage..

But the dirty rotten fact is, Thailand doesn't really matter to most of the world.

It has no natural resources, an inept military, which as far as I can see is designed for play, or internal oppression, so you sorta wonder what's the point.

It's not Singapore, Japan, South Korea or Taiwan with economic clout. It's basically a third world kleptocracy, which after the end of the Vietnam war, has little to no strategic purpose.

They will continue to cozy up to China as the rest of the world loses interest in them

This whole diplomats at the police station thing, is just what diplomats do!

Does it mean anything? I sincerely doubt it. 

The US has for a for a few years now pivoted to Vietnam as the buffer to China. The State Dept doesn't really care about Thailand and all their corrupt politics

Whilst I agree with many of your posts and certainly agree with Thailand's strategic irrelevance to the West..

Nevertheless diplomats from many different countries turned up-if it was not a show of support I don't know what is.

What impact that may have had is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Whilst I agree with many of your posts and certainly agree with Thailand's strategic irrelevance to the West..

Nevertheless diplomats from many different countries turned up-if it was not a show of support I don't know what is.

What impact that may have had is anyone's guess.

I totally agree with you. 

The impact of this on a regime that seems to have turned it's back on the democratic world, is probably insignificant 

41 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes,sadly,I agree with you.

When was it all lost I wonder?

I remember a splendid elderly Thai teacher telling me once that the door had opened to the West in the 90's (ish) and slammed shut in 2014.

It's been locked and bolted now.

That's an interesting question.

I think it's been a slow demise.

Without decreasing importance in global significance, I think Western democracies have just tired of the coup upon coup. 

There is justified  point in it, so they go through the motions, they will send some observers, but they know it's pretty much pointless.

Everyone with half a brain, and I do hope that applies to most State officials recognized this was pretty much a stitch up.

So, its one of those situations, where it's a country with little value to anyone, there is no genocide, so I would suspect for most foreign officials, they just shrug their shoulders and roll their eyes

• Like 2

Can you imagine being at a rally in any country, and all the embassies turn up.

You can always watch the rally from the tv in your own embassy, no need to intimidate a rally.

US already gave Thailand away and Thailand is astute to keep them away.

US loves to meddle without giving a solution. 

2 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Can you imagine being at a rally in any country, and all the embassies turn up.

You can always watch the rally from the tv in your own embassy, no need to intimidate a rally.

US already gave Thailand away and Thailand is astute to keep them away.

US loves to meddle without giving a solution. 

West always have a solution except when the people vote for something the really important people don't actually want.  Then they make the people vote again till the people vote correctly or start an investigation coup. 

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

West always have a solution except when the people vote for something the really important people don't actually want.  Then they make the people vote again till the people vote correctly or start an investigation coup. 

After the coup, the West lost the plot.

Disregarding the mayhem, the bombings, murder prior to the coup,

the West seemed to endorse chaos.

And now there is a bit of stability, despite all the envelopes that a junta can provide.

I doubt I will ever see true democracy in Thailand.

Just as I now see corruption as an embedded part of the west.- 

When will we see a non corrupt Western democracy.

And free from foreign interference. Already, 50% of the US believes Russian interference is good if it gets your favoured one elected.

9 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

After the coup, the West lost the plot.

Disregarding the mayhem, the bombings, murder prior to the coup,

the West seemed to endorse chaos.

And now there is a bit of stability, despite all the envelopes that a junta can provide.

I doubt I will ever see true democracy in Thailand.

Just as I now see corruption as an embedded part of the west.- 

When will we see a non corrupt Western democracy.

And free from foreign interference. Already, 50% of the US believes Russian interference is good if it gets your favoured one elected.

The smart people in the US have moved to Thailand and given up on politics back home.  Easier to deal with here because the bosses motives are so transparent even though they think they are being sneaky.   

Nature has a way of controlling itself.

However, some countries need to be monitored and put in place from time to time. 

Thailand is under Marshall law, tourists from all over the globe visit a country run by an untouchable dictator . It is only correct governments should be concerned, especially if the country under marshall law run by a dictator, who changed the constitution for his own gain, is a member of the UN! 

The progressive and democratic west and eastern countries have the responsibilities to call out the junta’s blatant attempt to rig the election to their favour even if it result in nothing more than token warning. Thailand junta has now been served a notice that their dirty deeds are not acceptable and have consequences. Thailand is an open economy, dependent on the world for trade and investment. I am sure the junta is aware. Can’t imagine if the world don’t call out Thailand; the military and establishment will have carte blanche on all affairs of the state and citizens and that is a scary thought.