Avoid petting animals during summer

webfact

Avoid petting animals during summer

By THE NATION

0665a3749133f227db4f0519fef9a4b5.jpeg

THE DISEASE Control Department (DCD) is warning people to be cautious with animals during this hot season as the heat makes them irritable, and they might bite at the slightest stroke.

These bites or scratches can easily turn fatal if the animal is infected with dangerous diseases such as rabies, it warned. 

“So, it is best to be careful,” DCD director-general Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai said yesterday. 

Between January and March, nearly 80,000 people sustained bites from dogs, and of the victims, 30 per cent were younger than 15. Hence, Suwannachai said, parents should keep a close eye on their children to protect them from being bitten or scratched during their summer holidays. 

According to the Local Administration Department, there are 10.78 million stray dogs and cats in the country and though the DCD has not yet detected a rabies patient so far this year, the Livestock Development Department said it has found 156 rabid dogs in 39 provinces. 

3fe82cc856251dfd6db54e40fdaf97b4.jpeg

Rabies is a viral disease that causes inflammation of the brain. Early symptoms can include fever and tingling at the site of the bite or scratch. These symptoms are followed by one or more of the following symptoms: violent movements, uncontrolled excitement, fear of water, inability to move parts of the body, confusion and loss of consciousness. Once symptoms appear, the result is nearly always death.

This disease can be transmitted to humans via bites, scratches and contact with the infected animal’s saliva. Though rabies is most common among dogs, the disease can also develop in cats and cattle. 

To avoid rabies, Suwannachai said people should avoid contact with animals they do not know. “If you have pet dogs, give them anti-rabies shots every year,” he advised, adding that free rabies vaccinations are available at livestock offices nationwide until June. 

Suwannachai also advised people to not tease animals, avoid stepping on them, intervening in their fights or taking their food away. 

“If you’re bitten or scratched, wash your wound with clean water and soap repeatedly. Apply Betadine and then rush to a doctor,” he advised. 

People wanting to know more about the disease can call the 1422 hotline. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367501

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-11
  • Sad 1

Don't pet a dog regardless of the temperature. How many people have died of rabies here as they thought it was nothing to worry about? The school teacher feeding soi dogs and the young girl innocently scratched by a puppy playing are recent cases I remember. 

Steer clear from dogs until you can confirm they have been vaccinated. Especially if live in a known rabies area. The first question I ask before even saying hello to people I visit is has your dog been vaccinated (in the last year due to dodgy vaccines from previous years).

17 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Don't pet a dog regardless of the temperature. How many people have died of rabies here as they thought it was nothing to worry about? The school teacher feeding soi dogs and the young girl innocently scratched by a puppy playing are recent cases I remember. 

Steer clear from dogs until you can confirm they have been vaccinated. Especially if live in a known rabies area. The first question I ask before even saying hello to people I visit is has your dog been vaccinated (in the last year due to dodgy vaccines from previous years).

Steer clear of dogs; full stop. They can develop a pack mentality, and rip you to pieces if you dare look at one of the leaders.

Bring back he dog-wagon.

PS: just one thing has crossed my mind. Can you catch rabies from eating dog stew? Assuming the dog was infected in the first place.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Don't pet a dog unless you're fairly certain the dog is ok with it. Let it sniff you first.

One day i was in a shop and the owners bang khew came to sniff me...i reached my hand out for it to sniff and suddenly it bit me hard drawing blood.

So now i avoid any shop with dogs...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Steer clear of dog; full stop. They can develop a pack mentality, and rip you to pieces if you dare look at one of the leaders.

Bring back he dog-wagon.

PS: just one thing has crossed my mind. Can you catch rabies from eating dog stew? Assuming the dog was infected in the first place.

Thai cows every now and then get infected and whole villages need to go to get rabies post-exposure vaccine so I guess the medical board considers it possible in theory. 

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

What if the dog then gives you a quick lick on a small open would you may not have noticed? 

Then you are probably going to die a painful and distressing death.

Keep away from dogs. Can't be too careful in LOS.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Everyone should get the vaccine. The vaccine is thought to be very effective providing protection for years.

Dogs can have rabies but have no symptoms

You can be infected by a lick on an open wound, a scratch, even a from saliva from clothing!

Once you show symptoms there is no cure, you will die!axsnDjD.gif

Another animals such as cats and monkey can have it too.

You could have a cut on your foot and be wearing sandals then a dog comes and licks your cut. Then you will forget about it, then you will slowly start to wonder after a day or two you will run to get the vaccine.

There is another issue is that if you are bitten on your head or by a deep wound, you should get the rabies immunoglobulin shot which is not readily available, so again you will be glad that you are already vaccinated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

They came round the village last week giving free rabies shots for dogs and cats, 9 houses out of 750 could be bothered. There are hundreds of cats and dogs, some houses have 4-6 dogs, left out all day of course. They would be better to offering free shots for people.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

One day i was in a shop and the owners bang khew came to sniff me...i reached my hand out for it to sniff and suddenly it bit me hard drawing blood.

So now i avoid any shop with dogs...

The cheapest fertilizer shop in Nong Khai had a nasty, little yappy dog that didn't like me at all. During the year I would spend about 80k in this shop. One day I made the decision not to go there again, because of the dog.

I started to go to another shop, quite close by. The misses was with me one day, and the owner of the shop with the dog, casually inquired why I didn't frequent her shop anymore. She said it was  because of the dog. The lady was shocked.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Sorry to hear that. Never stick your hand out to an unknown dog, best thing is just try to ignore the dog and they'll lose interest.

2 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

Don't pet a dog unless you're fairly certain the dog is ok with it. Let it sniff you first.

And certainly don't pet most soi dogs.

what is pet  ?   You don't pet a dog.  You pat a dog ....  you can have a dog as your pet.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Steer clear of dogs; full stop. They can develop a pack mentality, and rip you to pieces if you dare look at one of the leaders.

Bring back he dog-wagon.

From Thaivisa.com

MUKDAHAN: -- Thirteen Isan youths who dug up a pile of dead dogs to eat found out two days later that the animals had rabies.

The youths had to be rushed to hospital in Mukdaharn to have vaccinations, reports Thairath.

Animal welfare authorities in the province said Wednesday that they had visited the village of Khok Sung in Bang Sai Yai sub-district on Monday after the poo yai ban Withaya Thongmaha, 53, had reported lots of dogs biting each other in the area. She thought the packs may well have rabies.

The welfare authorities went to the area and rounded up many suspect animals. They cut the heads off the animals and buried the corpses.

The cut off heads were sent for analysis to Khon Kaen. Some while after the poo yai ban said that she had heard that at least ten youths had dug up the corpses and eaten the dogs for food.

A total of 13 youths were contacted and taken to hospital for jabs after it emerged that the dogs did indeed have rabies.

No reason was given for why the youths had eaten the dogs.

Meanwhile, vaccinations of all dogs was taking place in a two-mile radius of the outbreak and villagers were being warned to watch out for the behavior of dogs who they suspect might have the deadly disease.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Sorry to hear that. Never stick your hand out to an unknown dog, best thing is just try to ignore the dog and they'll lose interest.

Sounds like top advice for walking street???? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

what is pet  ?   You don't pet a dog.  You pat a dog ....  you can have a dog as your pet.

Quite right Stephen. You pet a woman, and pat a dog. Easy to get mixed up in LOS though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Maybe the article was aimed at a particular group of sexual deviants?

That's it bluesofa, bring sex into it, why don't you. Thought it was about boring old rabies! And stopping oneself from being ripped to pieces by patting doggies on the head.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:51 AM, connda said:

I just keep my rabies vaccinations up to date.

You don't need to. The first round of 5 shots can last a life time. If you get bitten then you only need 3 shots, which they will recommend even if you had a booster...

On 4/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, Don Chance said:

Everyone should get the vaccine. The vaccine is thought to be very effective providing protection for years.

Do you work for "Big Pharma" by any Chance? ???? 

You should .............

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

You don't need to. The first round of 5 shots can last a life time. If you get bitten then you only need 3 shots, which they will recommend even if you had a booster...

A Bar girl told me that the rabies jabs for dogs and humans are the same. If this is true, and I've never known her to be wrong, why don't they give all farang arriving in Thailand a free jab. So cheap. Only 50 baht a shot.