Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Eddie Can't help but stir the pot pre game... Slapped down as #2 supported team in comp

COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has suggested the introduction of an Adam Goodes Medal, to be awarded to the player adjudged best afield as part of an annual mid-year blockbuster between the Swans and Magpies at the SCG.

In a development that will raise some eyebrows given the testy relationship between the clubs, and McGuire's public fallout with the now retired Goodes in 2013, the rivals plan to create an event with wow factor in Sydney that they believe could become as big as the NRL's State of Origin.

McGuire believes the AFL has dropped the ball since a 2003 Sydney-Collingwood game at ANZ Stadium attracted a crowd of 72,393 – a record attendance outside Melbourne.

"This could be as big as a State of Origin game if done the right way. If I have any disappointment it's the fact we were already there ... but then it has been let slip," McGuire told The Age.

"That weekend you shouldn't be able to walk down a street without seeing a Collingwood scarf, cap or jumper on. At Taronga Park Zoo, on the harbour cruises, you name it; it should be just full of Collingwood.

"We would go en masse and we'd take over the town. We'd have functions everywhere and the great thing about when Collingwood goes on the march (is) we've got everything from the caravan parks through to the penthouses full.

"That's why Bob Carr [former NSW premier] once rang me up and said 'I'll give you $5 million to play Anzac Day.'"

Pridham believes the concept has the potential to become one of the biggest events on the Australian sporting calendar.

"The Sydney Swans are the most-supported club in Australia with 1.2 million supporters, Collingwood have 800,000, so are the second-most-supported club. I think this would just be an absolutely fantastic event," Pridham said.

"I think this should be an event you mark off in your calendar like Anzac Day.

"I would like to think it would be an event where people are begging to get ... it should transcend the sport. I absolutely think it could rival State of Origin, which is clearly the greatest asset the NRL has.

"In the Swans-Collingwood game I think you'd have 800,000 barracking for Collingwood and 22 million barracking for the Swans."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-24/eddie-mcguires-big-plan-swanspies-blockbuster-to-feature-adam-goodes-medal

Edited by BookMan

Adam Goodes medal.

Great idea,

Presumably out of respect for cultural beliefs, the medal would only be awarded while Adam is alive.

ANZAC Day has nothing to do with it, so I don’t follow how it got a mention in the article.

Swans debutant Mills escaping the hype out of the Melbourne bubble

ONE of the favorites for this year's NAB Rising Star award Callum Mills says living in the harbour city has helped him escape the hype surrounding his first few months of his career.

The 18-year-old, who counts current Swans co-captains Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack, and former champion Adam Goodes as his idols, has been named to debut against the Collingwood on Saturday night at the SCG.

Mills was taken at pick three at last year's draft after the Swans matched Melbourne's bid for their academy star, and was rated the best midfielder in the talent pool by the club.

The Sydney local will play a key role across half-back in the season opener and while expectations from the footy world are high, Mills said he's not concerned about the scrutiny surrounding his highly anticipated debut.

"Being at the club, when you're inside the four walls you don't hear anything, and especially being in Sydney you're out of the Melbourne bubble," Mills said on Thursday.

"I'm really glad that I ended up at the Swans, it's a club that I've supported my whole life.

"I've been to a lot of games and sat in the stands and to actually play on the field with others watching me this time, it's something I'll really cherish.

"I'm really glad that I'm getting the opportunity on Saturday to run out with 21 great blokes and I think that hopefully we can put on a good performance together to get a win over the Pies."

Mills chose to follow his Aussie rules dream over a rugby union career as a youngster, thanks to the opportunities given to him by the Swans' academy program.

The teenager has worked closely with the injured McVeigh and the recently retired Rhyce Shaw – the Swans' NEAFL coach – as he looks to inject quality foot skills and decision-making into the team's experienced defence.

"Rhyce (Shaw) and Jarrad (McVeigh) have been great, Jarrad has been my mentor over the off-season so he's been really good with giving me advice," Mills said.

"He keeps it quite simple really and brings it back to basics.

"Rhyce has been great for the club as a development manager so I take bits of him when I can and ask him questions about the role because he was a great player and I really want to step into his shoes."

No Sydney-born player had ever been drafted inside the top 10 before the Swans selected Mills last year, and the significance of the achievement hasn't been lost on the North Shore local.

"It's a great honour, as a young kid looking up to players that are from Sydney I think I'm going to really take that in my stride," Mills said.

"Hopefully I can set an example for other academy kids coming through the ranks that it's not impossible (to be drafted) being from Sydney.

"That's the thing that they should really look for, is to work hard and have a role model at the Swans."

• Like 1

Adam Goodes medal.

Great idea,

Presumably out of respect for cultural beliefs, the medal would only be awarded while Adam is alive.

ANZAC Day has nothing to do with it, so I don’t follow how it got a mention in the article.

PLEASE....i am no racist as I'm into asian girls and don't mind a bit of black either...but this is going too far...the Koories get too much as it, we didn't invade there country we didn't take it, no one was home when we got here for christ sake.

There happy to play our football watch it even, drive a BMW down a few beers or more live in a house, get money etc....if it wasn't for the white dudes they would still be running around naked with a god dam spear in there hand trying to catch tonights dinner....yes we introduced them to the fridge and cold ninnies...

Even if you got 10% black blood in your veins you can get a free university degree and its on us men, forget the Goods medal, great player and all but let put it into perspective shall we?

We have another starter for the tipping who is Gazmans son in-law and also a thaivisa member ( biggreggo )

His tipping name is BIGGWAZZ and I am told he is a Dockers supporter. Will see if he want's to put the

Phantom in a dockers jumper..

ONE of the favorites for this year's NAB Rising Star award Callum Mills says living in the harbour city has helped him escape the hype surrounding his first few months of his career.

The 18-year-old, who counts current Swans co-captains Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack, and former champion Adam Goodes as his idols, has been named to debut against the Collingwood on Saturday night at the SCG.

Mills was taken at pick three at last year's draft after the Swans matched Melbourne's bid for their academy star, and was rated the best midfielder in the talent pool by the club.

The Sydney local will play a key role across half-back in the season opener and while expectations from the footy world are high, Mills said he's not concerned about the scrutiny surrounding his highly anticipated debut.

"Being at the club, when you're inside the four walls you don't hear anything, and especially being in Sydney you're out of the Melbourne bubble," Mills said on Thursday.

"I'm really glad that I ended up at the Swans, it's a club that I've supported my whole life.

"I've been to a lot of games and sat in the stands and to actually play on the field with others watching me this time, it's something I'll really cherish.

"I'm really glad that I'm getting the opportunity on Saturday to run out with 21 great blokes and I think that hopefully we can put on a good performance together to get a win over the Pies."

Mills chose to follow his Aussie rules dream over a rugby union career as a youngster, thanks to the opportunities given to him by the Swans' academy program.

The teenager has worked closely with the injured McVeigh and the recently retired Rhyce Shaw – the Swans' NEAFL coach – as he looks to inject quality foot skills and decision-making into the team's experienced defence.

"Rhyce (Shaw) and Jarrad (McVeigh) have been great, Jarrad has been my mentor over the off-season so he's been really good with giving me advice," Mills said.

"Rhyce has been great for the club as a development manager so I take bits of him when I can and ask him questions about the role because he was a great player and I really want to step into his shoes."

No Sydney-born player had ever been drafted inside the top 10 before the Swans selected Mills last year, and the significance of the achievement hasn't been lost on the North Shore local.

"It's a great honour, as a young kid looking up to players that are from Sydney I think I'm going to really take that in my stride," Mills said.

"Hopefully I can set an example for other academy kids coming through the ranks that it's not impossible (to be drafted) being from Sydney.

"That's the thing that they should really look for, is to work hard and have a role model at the Swans."

The Mills boy would be good in a red and navy jumper kicking it down the guts to Hogan or Jackie Watts.....im sure Roos has him on our shopping list penciled in for season 18.....then there was...ummm....secrets.....Roos has a shopping list to snare a few form the harbour city, we taken a few GWS's boys now its the Swankies turn to loose a few....we haven't forgotten you taken our Healy......no i never have forgiven them for taking Healy.

Adam Goodes medal.

Great idea,

PLEASE....i am no racist as I'm into asian girls and don't mind a bit of black either...but this is going too far...the Koories get too much as it, we didn't invade there country we didn't take it, no one was home when we got here for christ sake.

There happy to play our football watch it even, drive a BMW down a few beers or more live in a house, get money etc....if it wasn't for the white dudes they would still be running around naked with a god dam spear in there hand trying to catch tonights dinner....yes we introduced them to the fridge and cold ninnies...

Even if you got 10% black blood in your veins you can get a free university degree and its on us men, forget the Goods medal, great player and all but let put it into perspective shall we?

You realise it is Eddie the Imbecile stirring the pot?
  • Like 1

We have another starter for the tipping who is Gazmans son in-law and also a thaivisa member ( biggreggo )

His tipping name is BIGGWAZZ and I am told he is a Dockers supporter. Will see if he want's to put the

We need at least one more in Chooks fantasy...football fantasy not his wet dream fantasy....get the big guy to come on over...

Adam Goodes medal.

Great idea,

You realise it is Eddie the Imbecile stirring the pot?

He who talks the loudest gets heard, he who talks the most will get heard...its a god dam worry if were giving medals because he's a koorie.....

The Mills boy would be good in a red and navy jumper kicking it down the guts to Hogan or Jackie Watts.....im sure Roos has him on our shopping list penciled in for season 18.....then there was...ummm....secrets.....Roos has a shopping list to snare a few form the harbour city, we taken a few GWS's boys now its the Swankies turn to loose a few....we haven't forgotten you taken our Healy......no i never have forgiven them for taking Healy.

How many times do we need to offer Sam Hamstring Reid to you? He can play any position... as fast as a lumbering giraffe

Melbourne selected Mills in the draft didnt they?

Sydney has tied up all its best players now. bad luck old boy

J

We need at least one more in Chooks fantasy...football fantasy not his wet dream fantasy....get the big guy to come on over...

I have no idea whether he's interested in that. Might be better if you sent a pm to him ( biggreggo ).

How many times do we need to offer Sam Hamstring Reid to you? He can play any position... as fast as a lumbering giraffe

Melbourne selected Mills in the draft didnt they?

Sydney has tied up all its best players now. bad luck old boy

J

2018 Dees powerhouse of the AFL....everyones gonna wanna go there....young and brash....just like the 50's all over again....kiss your Mills and a few others good byeeeeee we shall avenge the taking of our best player G Healy......it will have been a loooooooooooooooooooong time cooooooooming son and i anti forgot.

I have no idea whether he's interested in that. Might be better if you sent a pm to him ( biggreggo ).

His your relation get on to little bro and blackmail him for heavens sake...no time for sweet talking now season is almost on us...though 1 weeks grace with fantasy...

• Like 1

ESSENDON has upgraded mature-age recruit Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti to its senior list ahead of the Bombers' round one clash with Gold Coast.

Tiwi Islander McDonald-Tipungwuti, 22, has become a popular figure at Essendon after he was taken with pick No.22 in the 2016 NAB AFL Rookie Draft following three seasons in Essendon's VFL side.

The Bombers had the option of promoting a rookie as a replacement player following the loss of 12 listed players to WADA bans.

American ruckman Jason Holmes has been upgraded to St Kilda's senior list as a replacement player for the suspended Jake Carlisle.

The 26-year-old played three games late last season for the Saints after being recruited as an international rookie in 2014.

Gold Coast has promoted former West Coast player Ryan Davis to the senior list after placing talented midfielder David Swallow on the long-term injury list.

Davis, 26, played 14 games for the Eagles in 2008 and 2009 before being delisted.

He spent six seasons playing for Swan Districts in the WAFL before being rookie drafted by the Suns and has been elevated following some excellent form in the NAB Challenge.

The Eagles have placed injury-plagued key defender Mitch Brown on the long-term injury list after he damaged a finger during the NAB Challenge.

Brown is only expected to miss eight weeks, but with some other injury issues within the midfield group heading into the first month of the season, the Eagles have elevated midfielder Brant Colledge as cover.

Colledge, 21, has played three games in the past two seasons but has been a consistent ball-winner at WAFL level.

The Sydney Swans have placed Gary Rohan on the long-term injury list and have upgraded Tom Papley.

The 19-year-old has family connections to the club, as his two grandfathers Max Papley and Jeff Bray played for South Melbourne in the 1960s

His your relation get on to little bro and blackmail him for heavens sake...no time for sweet talking now season is almost on us...though 1 weeks grace with fantasy...

He's going to Gazmans tonight to watch the game and dinner. Catch him there.

Adam Goodes Medal.

Good idea, as a marketing initiative it has merit as it be newsworthy, would create emotional reactions, and that,, sells.

Bums on seats, viewers on the couch, followers online, knob polishing commentators, all adds up to entertainment.

Also pride to those that are worthy of being a recipient.

As I mentioned, the trophy could have a limited issue and the “precious” one would eventually become a reverend chapter in AFL history.

Just hope that “booing” never gets banned, because how else can you express your immediate disgust with a dodgy umpiring decision or a security guard that covers up the streakers great swinging set of tits with his hi-vis monkey vest.

Not long to bounce down now. Got the Dees to pip GWS tomorrow and the Bullies to run amuck on the sleepy Dockers.

• Like 2

2018 Dees powerhouse of the AFL....everyones gonna wanna go there....young and brash....just like the 50's all over again....kiss your Mills and a few others good byeeeeee we shall avenge the taking of our best player G Healy......it will have been a loooooooooooooooooooong time cooooooooming son and i anti forgot.

Eh?

Why would Mills want to go to Melbourne when Hogan will have signed with Sydney for 2018 and we are chasing two premierships in a row?

Sam 'The Giraffe' Reid should fit in nicely down there at Melbourne...he will enjoy having a nice latte every day with his brother Ben, as they both recover from their latest Hammy/leg injury

Edited by BookMan

Adam Goodes Medal.

Good idea, as a marketing initiative it has merit as it be newsworthy, would create emotional reactions, and that,, sells.

Bums on seats, viewers on the couch, followers online, knob polishing commentators, all adds up to entertainment.

As I mentioned, the trophy could have a limited issue and the “precious” one would eventually become a reverend chapter in AFL history.

Just hope that “booing” never gets banned, because how else can you express your immediate disgust with a dodgy umpiring decision or a security guard that covers up the streakers great swinging set of tits with his hi-vis monkey vest.

Not long to bounce down now. Got the Dees to pip GWS tomorrow and the Bullies to run amuck on the sleepy Dockers.

You've been listening to knob polishing bookman ( sorry Chimpy ) for too long. cowboy.gif

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 2

Adam Goodes Medal.

You've been listening to the knob polishing bookman for too long. cowboy.gif
I would have thought that by your age Ron you would have curbed your potty mouth

Adam Goodes Medal.

You've been listening to knob polishing bookman ( sorry Chimpy ) for too long. cowboy.gif

I think not long enough.

Gotta respect a man that has a chimp to round up and schedule his pussy.

• Like 2

Adam Goodes Medal.

I would have thought that by your age Ron you would have curbed your potty mouth

At my age you don't give a continental.

Adam Goodes Medal.

You really should

It reflects poorly on your character

• Like 1

You really should

"Character" ?? I am guessing that Ron is a former St Pat's college of Geraldton boy.

Character is a given.

But,?? someone that has a chimp for a pimp,, hardly a call.

Tigers V Blues half time,,, 44 to 37. Interesting .

• Like 2

You really should

"Character" ?? I am guessing that Ron is a former St Pat's college of Geraldton boy.

Character is a given.

No not St Pats Geraldton but my 1st school was a mick one in the Nedlands area that was part of a convent. I was told by a groundsman there many years after that Mother Teresa would have been there at the time. I've never followed up on that to confirm it. So you should realize that my character shouldn't be questioned seeing I was a acquaintance of Mother Teresa.whistling.gif

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Character is a given.

Chimpy has his vices Joboss, but he has the maturity to know that resorting to personal insults and childish name calling of fellow posters is best left to those of very limited cognitive ability.

• Like 1